The Ultimate Car Rig Photography Thread!

Yep heres the non moving one, no bounce :-/

6ezq7n.jpg

30mm diameter 2mm wall cut into 1 metre sections, each section joined by an internal 26.9mm diameter x 25cm length by stainless M8 nuts and bolts.

Last edited:
4mm? Bugger, no one's ever mentioned anything thicker than 2mm on this thread :-( so thought that'd be ok :-(

No one ever lists their pole specs either, ie full specs, many say they have a certain diameter, but never wall thickness, many say length and not diameter, many say aerial poles and no diameter :-/ too much secrecy I guess :-(

I don't think it's so much secrecy more a case of so many ways to do it. My ally rig was 2mm wall thickness and that worked fine until I bent it.
A lot about rigging is technique. Having an extra pair of hands always helps. If you can push don't drive the car. I set my camera to continuously take photos with a remote release.

Mines 40mm box section with a 4mm wall, about as little bounce as I could expect really non carbon/tensioned.

Where did you source this as I've had another play today trying to stabilise my current pole with a long shank eye bolt and ratchet strap and there's still far too much bounce so my current poles are scrap :-(

Where did you source this as I've had another play today trying to stabilise my current pole with a long shank eye bolt and ratchet strap and there's still far too much bounce so my current poles are scrap :-(

Can't remember now, just searched on Google for aluminium box section I think.

How are you shooting? Driving (slowly), or is the car just rolling with you at the camera end (and somebody else at the wheel of course)?

not sure if thats asking me or Matthew? o_O anyway if me I was by myself setting up on an incline, using a timer then letting off the brake and rolling allowing pole to settle before the shutter fired.

Im thinking that something like Matthews box section aluminium may be the way to go, or aluminium scaffold as ive seen that at 2" diameter with a 4mm wall, cant find box section with awall thicker than 3mm:(

Morning all,

I've been following this forum for a while now, skulking around in the background.
I took delivery of a Hague Boom Arm kit this week and hopefully going to be out practicing this weekend.

I know the arm itself isn't long enough for wider shots but I've been reading and researching methods that you guys are using, I've got a lot to work with now. Looks like my girlfriends gonna be a bit light on Christmas presents this year ;)

Keep up the good work people!!

Luke

Don't drive, roll it. About 2mph is what you want to aim for with as little vibration as possible. If you have to use the engine to start it moving, dump it into neutral for the shot when rolling...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Talk Photography Forums mobile app

any better , anyone fancy doing some changes and showing me what it should look like ?

Last edited:

any better , anyone fancy doing some changes and showing me what it should look like ?

Now it looks better - remember to watch out for such details as foot :D.
As far as editing goes, I can't say how it "should" look like cause it's really an individual issue. I'd go into sth like this, but you know - it's only me :D

fnjh.jpg

Last edited:
Well ive just built my rig and did a test last night and this is my favourite. What do you think?

11131917356_ce08cebc01_c.jpg

me setting up the rig.

1459247_10153557722160444_1925660818_n.jpg

it comes in at 4m in alu 2mm thick sidewalls at around 36mm dia. Heavyest part is the T piece with the threaded bad and steel parts but getting one fabbed out of alu next year. There way more bounce than i wanted but not un controlable

Does anybody here have their own blog? We are bringing out a new low marking suction cup, which we would like somebody to review.
The cups are made by Woods PowrGrip and have a new type of rubber. I would like someone to try them out (free suction cup included) and write a review.
Cheers

Does anybody here have their own blog? We are bringing out a new low marking suction cup, which we would like somebody to review.
The cups are made by Woods PowrGrip and have a new type of rubber. I would like someone to try them out (free suction cup included) and write a review.
Cheers
If you don't mind shipping it to Poland, why not ;).

Cheers

I'm sure I could do a review for Definitive (servingtodefine.co.uk) would put it up, although it's preliminarily a car blog not photography. Gets a fair amount of people reading it.

What are the cups rated to? Screw thread on top I assume? As we currently use the Manfrottos with the ball head built in.

Last edited:
You should speak to Van Elder photography, he's doing the best rig shot stuff I've seen...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Talk Photography Forums mobile app

I'm sure I could do a review for Definitive (servingtodefine.co.uk) would put it up, although it's preliminarily a car blog not photography. Gets a fair amount of people reading it.

What are the cups rated to? Screw thread on top I assume? As we currently use the Manfrottos with the ball head built in.
Similar to these but made with different rubber
http://www.ggrglass.co.uk/lj45pb1-with-1-polyball-18kg/
lj45pb1-polyball_4.jpg

1/4" threaded inserts on mine, standard tripod size.

as well as the ball head we also do:
3 Sizes of cup:
3 inch, 7kg - 1/4 male thread or 1/4 female thread
4.5 inch, 18kg - 1/4 or 3/8 thread (male or female)
6 inch, 32kg - 1/4 or 3/8 thread (male or female)

Back