The Ultimate Car Rig Photography Thread!

I use a ma
@Mikehamilton - What are you using at camera end as currently I used a manfrotto magic arm but they're long so it hangs really low from the pole making a huge counter weight. That would give me less flex I reckon and also keep the camera away from the ground when shooting low angle shots!

I use a magic arm on mine, or sometimes without and use a hague camera mount

I use a ma

I use a magic arm on mine, or sometimes without and use a hague camera mount

Thanks! Sammy sent me a link! Further progress @sduk bought the upgraded poles. It will be slightly more expensive but RRP is yet to be given to me. In fact I haven't even seen it yet! Sammy bought it blind and from talking with him it looks like it's up to the job! I'm hoping to get one myself in a few days that I can video review ;)

Currently I have the hague SM11 setup plus a few extras I've bought along the way. I picked this as the suckers are very high quality and have never damaged a car, and the poles from the top allow additional vertical alignment. I've used this system and me personal variants both at walking speed and at driving speeds with confidence.
http://www.cameragrip.co.uk/acatalog/hague_sm11_car_suction_mount.html

With the superclamps and suckers it's easy to mount cameras on a chase car directly on the suckers and trigger the shots remotely. I've done this in the past with 2 and 3 cameras in different positions all triggered on the same channel, so one trigger switch.

However, whilst very rigid, the current pole is heavy and short, which is why I'd be looking for some rigid length. I've played with aerial poles and thought them ok for walking but it's a little hit and miss.

Yeah as Gareth says, I received the carbon fibre pole this week and went out a few nights ago to try it out.

I was very impressed, the length compared to my old rig is brilliant and the fact it is telescopic makes it so much easier to use, adjust and transport.

There is slight sag (as is to be expected) once my camera and magic arm were loaded on but the bounce is minimal. The hit rate for sharp shots was high. The front end shot I took (posted below) of the Focus RS was roof mounted at nearly full extension. This shot was a 6 second exposure and was still sharp, I couldn't have done anywhere near as long as that with my old rig.

I'm just working my way through the shots from the other night but here are some I have edited...

I just have some iPhone shots of the rig. I will see if I can upload them on here.

thanks again to @cardiff_gareth for his assistance and patience with me and all my questions during the purchase :) Top bloke to deal with and completely helpful and trustworthy.

Sammy

Hard to tell the sharpness, not sure if it's not loading full quality on my phone. Flex doesn't look too bad. Will be interested to see how this upgraded boom fares. I still need to sort out a better boom for mine. This could be the solution.

Cant believe i forgot to remove the rig reflection in the windscreen of the turning RS shot oh well :)

I went out yesterday with my friend and took some quick rig shots of his s2k.

Edited a couple last night...

Sammy

@Byker28i
@Chris_911

Sorry, there was a delay getting back here with a price as my mate was looking at his manufacturing to make sure he could keep the costs down for the newer thicker pole so didn't want to quote figures and then have to amend them.

Initially it looked like the newer pole would be more expensive but he said he's managed to manufacture it so he can offer the upgraded thicker pole at the same £200 Inc p&p

They take 10 days from order to posting out and delivery. I'll be getting mine soon so I can then video test it and then offer up a classified here for the item as per the rules with images and also a small movie with it on car. Not sure if @sduk could maybe post a shot or two in the meantime of any bounce he has with his camera on it?

Orders can be taken now for them also ;)

Seems i am the only one posting rig shots in here :) We need to get more people participating :)

Last night a client failed to show for a shoot so I met my friend and had more rig practice on his GTR :)

Here are two i have edited...

Sammy

yeah, i do like a bit of mixed exposures and have to try hard to keep the halos at bay. I think that one is also partly due to the light being on that side of the car and the halo part is where there is no shadow :)

it doesnt look like a shadow issue, have you darkened the background at all?

Use the pen tool to select the car when doing adjustments like that, as you get a much tighter and accurate selection as the brush tool is clumbsy when masking in adjustments and can lead to halos like that one.

souk, what length is the carbon boom when collapsed?

Also what weight camera/lens are you using? Mine will be 1.5Kg without the super clamp/magic arm. Not sure if weight adds bounce or removes it, but obviously makes flex worse.

the boom is just over 2m when collapsed, next time I have it out (so to speak) I will confirm the exact length and will also weigh the kit I use. I currently use the magic arm but have just ordered the camera bracket and 18" carbon fibre extension bar so hopefully that will greatly lighten things. Not sure how it will affect things :)

Not sure if I'd want to give up the flexibility of a magic arm to be honest.

Think I've got to replace mine it's a bit unprofessional just some big box section. Although it's a decent length and strong.

tbh my new set up should be nearly if not equally as good. This is the tripod head, it can be positioned in any angle....

1540301.jpg

and the set up with the 18" carbon fibre extension...

72221376.jpg

you get different sizes of extension bar and you can also just attach the camera to the superclamp with the camera bracket.

Looking forward to trying it out :)

Last edited:
Would love to take these shots, where do I buy the kit? Can someone produce a shopping list and suppliers?

The carbon fibre setup looks great.

Thanks in advance guys :ty:

Would love to take these shots, where do I buy the kit? Can someone produce a shopping list and suppliers?

The carbon fibre setup looks great.

Thanks in advance guys :ty:

You can buy the complete (and expensive) kits from rig pro or from Car Camera Rig you can find them on facebook or google. Have you read through this thread? It shows you all the parts you need and where to get them.

the boom is just over 2m when collapsed, next time I have it out (so to speak) I will confirm the exact length and will also weigh the kit I use. I currently use the magic arm but have just ordered the camera bracket and 18" carbon fibre extension bar so hopefully that will greatly lighten things. Not sure how it will affect things :)

That's a bit of a shame as it makes transporting it a little difficult. 1.5m would be easier for most car boots etc. I'd never get 2m in my tvr

tbh my new set up should be nearly if not equally as good. This is the tripod head, it can be positioned in any angle....

1540301.jpg

and the set up with the 18" carbon fibre extension...

72221376.jpg

you get different sizes of extension bar and you can also just attach the camera to the superclamp with the camera bracket.

Looking forward to trying it out :)

I have the same tripod head, usually run it on the end of my magic arm, and it works really well.
The carbon expansion looks interesting. I haven't looked at carbon car rig offerings lately as their poles are top end and out of my budget but the extension poles look at interesting option to have.

That's a bit of a shame as it makes transporting it a little difficult. 1.5m would be easier for most car boots etc. I'd never get 2m in my tvr

Hey :)
It was made 3 x 2m so that it gives extra strength to the pole. As the pole won't be fully extended but remain slightly in the other pole when in use it gives the joint strength :)

Doesn't the TVR have a sunroof lol !!!!

I have the same tripod head, usually run it on the end of my magic arm, and it works really well.
The carbon expansion looks interesting. I haven't looked at carbon car rig offerings lately as their poles are top end and out of my budget but the extension poles look at interesting option to have.

that's good to hear, I'm hoping the drastically lightened set up will help also. Looking forward to trying it out. I think in time I will also buy the 6" extension bar so I have the option of long and short.

The bonus with the longer extension bar is that the further away the camera is hanging from the boom, the smaller it appears in the shot so removing it in PP is easier :)

Hey :)
It was made 3 x 2m so that it gives extra strength to the pole. As the pole won't be fully extended but remain slightly in the other pole when in use it gives the joint strength :)

Doesn't the TVR have a sunroof lol !!!!

Nope, got a huge boot but no sunroof, it won't fit 2m in

140689537.jpg]

that's good to hear, I'm hoping the drastically lightened set up will help also. Looking forward to trying it out. I think in time I will also buy the 6" extension bar so I have the option of long and short.

The bonus with the longer extension bar is that the further away the camera is hanging from the boom, the smaller it appears in the shot so removing it in PP is easier :)

Yup I found the same with the magic arm hanging from my 2m pole.(2x1m)

Back