Thoughts and an introduction

Name
Jack Gatford
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello!
I’m Jack, and I’m at the start of my professional career as a photographer. My passion is people, and although I do like photographing animals, landscapes, cityscapes, motorsport, and pretty much anything, portraiture, and photographing people is what I enjoy most, always have. Here are a few examples of my work so far, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated if anyone has any tips or knowledge that you can give me, especially if you see something that’s glaringly obvious that I’m missing.

Thanks in advance!CA984F4E-3F38-45C6-9309-27E9EC77C587.jpeg9A01F5C6-3772-49E0-A1EB-3305A8C1062C.jpeg9F1108A1-6508-42CF-B278-E71452A5B17A.jpeg521353ED-705B-44F7-914B-944DD6D427ED.jpeg46340418-21F4-49ED-A3CF-3B8364D17D5D.jpeg4E5DF48C-7FF9-406E-989C-ECA2D55A3814.jpeg

I daresay somebody with more knowledge of portraiture will give you more advice, but to my untrained eye they look like striking images. Welcome!

Welcome to Talk Photography, there are some very good portrait 'togs on here so hopefully someone will be along to comment. Portraits are nor my thing and you clearly have a consistent style but I do wonder if they could be a tad warmer?

Welcome! They're nice images!
I'm not going to pick them all apart in detail - I'm sure you could do that yourself if you tried.

Instead, since you're aiming at going pro I suggest you ask yourself who would pay for these images? What and who are they for? Is the composition / lighting / processing / story good enough to make you money in that target market?

For me 3 is by far and away the most saleable, and I think it unlikely that a parent would actually buy an image of their child with food round the mouth. Even if it is cute!

Welcome Jack, I hope you enjoy it here and thanks for sharing some images to add substance to your virtual existence!! They are striking as has been said, and the experts here can probably give you a steer on any finessing that might be appropriate, but my feel is that you are going for the raw, unretouched style - realism. I like ACDC girl, that image has struck a chord with me. It strikes me that in terms of genre, your style would suit a "reportage" approach to street photography too.

Welcome to the forum Jack, I'm no expert at portraits but have taken quite a few people shots and the main thing to remember is NEVER take a photo if it looks like something is growing out of the persons head. Make sure to always focus on the eyes keep a nice clean clear background, and get plenty of practice, of the images my favourite is the 4th shot.

Back