Tracer's 52 for 2010 (part 1) - Wk 26 -"Beginnings"

Lots of detail, vibrant colours and amazing ISO capabilities!! :)

Catch up!

Mechanical is excellent, great colour and composition. Gives me a bit more confidence to turn up the ISO myself!

People, love the tightrope walker from the back best, the flourish with the bow does it for me :D

Speed, nice, and messing with flash sync is something I have always shied away from so many brownie points for knuckling down there.

Arthur

nice shot, bang on theme! certainly one my favourite shots from this weeks challenge so far.
cant really say much else that hasn't already been said, except that I may now go in search of my nearest transport museum :)

Really like this photograph - lots of detail and vibrant colours :clap:
Thank you, lizbeth

Super set of shots Love the poetry one for it's quirkiness :) The Street shots are great particuarly like the closer one of the rope walker. Very nice detail in the Present shot....argh getting mixed up lol The speed one is great. I can't believe the lack of noise at such high ISO for this last one cracking shot!
Thank you, Sonia, I'm glad you like them.

Like this photo someone has been out with the polish.
LOL!

Lots of detail, vibrant colours and amazing ISO capabilities!! :)

I love this one. Bang on theme and very colourful. Hard to believe that is ISO 3200. My camera only goes up to 1600 and usually very noisy.

Jenny

Thank you, Dave and Jenny. I'm amazed myself that it came out as well as this - makes me realise I don't need to be afraid of high ISOs. In my film days I found anything above 400 was really grainy.

Last edited:
Missed the tightrope walker shot - fantastic !!!

Mechanical: Great photo - nice colour, good details and fit perfectly ;)

Thank you, Dade

Catch up!

Mechanical is excellent, great colour and composition. Gives me a bit more confidence to turn up the ISO myself!

People, love the tightrope walker from the back best, the flourish with the bow does it for me :D

Speed, nice, and messing with flash sync is something I have always shied away from so many brownie points for knuckling down there.

Arthur

Thank you, Arthur - I have been having a lot of fun with all these. The flash sync is largely a matter of trial and error, easily done with digital if you can spare the time.

nice shot, bang on theme! certainly one my favourite shots from this weeks challenge so far.
cant really say much else that hasn't already been said, except that I may now go in search of my nearest transport museum :)

Thank you, Karl. I was quite lucky because the museum is closing for a year in a few weeks time, when the whole collection is being moved to a new building.

Great composition and the shot really jumps out at you with those big red wheels.

Very nice.

Ian.

Nice colour and shapes in mechanical. It's a great shame about the white wall and the black pipe thing on the right though. Good effort.

I liked all your people shots.

Photographing people who are posing for somebody else works really well. Your shots brought a smile to my face.
I like the combined shots of the violinist but originally preferred the first because we can see his face. But I now find I prefer the second because I fiund it slightly surreal. His red shirt makes such a stark contrast with the background and there he is with his bow raised and it looks almost as if he's slightly set apart from his surroundings; as if he's not quite part of that world.

Mechanical is a super shot. Nice and detailed and the colour is vibrant. I like that you have shown us a section, rather than all of the engine.

Lots of interest in the mechanical photo .. have looked several times and seen new things each time !

loving the fire engine shot great colours and composition nice and sharp iso 3200
and still no noise (y)

hi Tracer, ive just been catching up on your 52, some great shots making a good collection so far. I really love your poetry shot and the poem and speed stands out too. This weeks shot is really vibrant and this is what makes the shot for me, its a right old red sock in the face.

Really like the colours on the mchanical shot, great take on the theme.

Amazing at 3200 ISO, top performance from camera and photographer

Another 'red' week for you Tracer. :)

This is lively and interesting with lots of (mechanical) detail. Having useable high level ISOs is really helpful in this sort of situation. I find I hardly ever use my speedlight and just crank up the ISO and use exposure compensation too.

I hope you had a good weekend. :)

Jean

That's a lovely shot of the fire engine. Love it... good strong colours and details. That camera works well in low light... Only one small niggle, but you've already mentioned it... the black beam on the right hand side... not a lot you can do I guess...

Transport was taken at ISO 3200? :notworthy: That's come out fantastic considering. Love the colours and the crop.

can only echo what others have said, great vivid colours and details.. nicely composed and bang on theme!.. agree with the suggestion to get rid of the black pipe thing to the right if poss :)

Super colours, interesting subject matter and nicely composed.

Interesting People shots Tracer. I prefer the Violinist.

Lovely vibrant colours on Mechanical - staggered that you shot this at ISO3200 :clap:

Great composition and the shot really jumps out at you with those big red wheels.

Very nice.

Ian.

Thank you, Ian.

Nice colour and shapes in mechanical. It's a great shame about the white wall and the black pipe thing on the right though. Good effort.

Thank you, Darren. In some of the other parts of the building the walls were pukey green so it could have been worse!

I liked all your people shots.

Photographing people who are posing for somebody else works really well. Your shots brought a smile to my face.
I like the combined shots of the violinist but originally preferred the first because we can see his face. But I now find I prefer the second because I fiund it slightly surreal. His red shirt makes such a stark contrast with the background and there he is with his bow raised and it looks almost as if he's slightly set apart from his surroundings; as if he's not quite part of that world.

Mechanical is a super shot. Nice and detailed and the colour is vibrant. I like that you have shown us a section, rather than all of the engine.

Thank you, Rob

Lots of interest in the mechanical photo .. have looked several times and seen new things each time !

Thank you

loving the fire engine shot great colours and composition nice and sharp iso 3200
and still no noise (y)

Thank you, Shaun - I am really pleased with the high ISO, which is much better than I expected.

ISO 3200? That's amazing quality :notworthy:

Lovely sharp shot and beautiful colours.
Given the limitations you've done really well with the composition too. I'm not sure that the black pipe thingy on the far right is adding much though. Any chance of cropping or cloning it out?

That's a lovely shot of the fire engine. Love it... good strong colours and details. That camera works well in low light... Only one small niggle, but you've already mentioned it... the black beam on the right hand side... not a lot you can do I guess...

can only echo what others have said, great vivid colours and details.. nicely composed and bang on theme!.. agree with the suggestion to get rid of the black pipe thing to the right if poss :)

Thank you, Sarah, John and Michelle. I've been in two minds about the black pipe. I couldn't actually avoid it at the shooting stage because of barriers, notices, furniture, etc. I did think of trying to clone it out but a) it is part of another fire appliance and so to me is part of the theme, and b) to my eye the big chunk at the top balances the black wheel hub at the bottom left, so that I actually like the way it stops the eye as it scans the picture l - r. However maybe I'm just making excuses as I don't think my cloning skills are up to it...:LOL:

hi Tracer, ive just been catching up on your 52, some great shots making a good collection so far. I really love your poetry shot and the poem and speed stands out too. This weeks shot is really vibrant and this is what makes the shot for me, its a right old red sock in the face.

Thank you, Chris - it is a fabulous colour, isn't it!

Really like the colours on the mchanical shot, great take on the theme.

Amazing at 3200 ISO, top performance from camera and photographer

Thank you, Dan

Another 'red' week for you Tracer. :)

This is lively and interesting with lots of (mechanical) detail. Having useable high level ISOs is really helpful in this sort of situation. I find I hardly ever use my speedlight and just crank up the ISO and use exposure compensation too.

I hope you had a good weekend. :)

Jean

Thank you, Jean. My camera is not as good as your FF one at extreme ISOs but I am very pleasantly surprised at what it can do. And when I think of the years I spent shooting slide film at 50ASA....

I had a brilliant weekend, thank you, but am only now gradually catching up with the 52s.

Transport was taken at ISO 3200? :notworthy: That's come out fantastic considering. Love the colours and the crop.

Super colours, interesting subject matter and nicely composed.

Interesting People shots Tracer. I prefer the Violinist.

Lovely vibrant colours on Mechanical - staggered that you shot this at ISO3200 :clap:

Thank you, Steve, Rob and Paul - and I hope to catch up with your entries shortly.

A bit of a rush job this week. Ironically I have been spending quite a lot of time as a keen amateur musician either playing myself or watching other people play -- but no opportunity to take photos :bang:.

Week 9 - "Play"

play17702ds2.jpg

This is what the action of a harpsichord (an early keyboard instrument) looks like when you play it. If you are interested in how it works here is the Wiki article. When you play a note the white jacks pop up and pluck the strings. The red flags are there to damp the sound once the note is released.

The original is a bit garish so I desaturated it a bit.

An interesting image. The diagonal strings particularly are nice and strong. The white and red provide good contrast on the opposing diagonal. I like that you've got some of the plucker things in motion :)

Very nice.

Unusual subject and a strong image taken with good lighting and some nice movement in there.

10/10 for originality and composition.

Ian.

Like that a that a lot. Decided it wasn't piano as no hammers but wasn't sure what it was. I like the compostion - and the movment in the pluckers.

Very strong diagonal composition in this . . . works very well (y)
I think the saturation (or desaturation) is spot on and there is definitely something intriguing about it - I've never actually seen a harpsichord in the flesh before.

My only (minor) niggle is that the active, blurred "plucker" is very central. I think I would have preferred the motion to be a little bit higher in the frame, on the "plucker" on the right hand third.
That really is nit picking on my part though :)

I like this interpretation of the theme, Tracer - so much more original than seeing the harpsichordist in action.

I can see that your part desaturation was needed and think you have got the balance just right.

I like the crossing diagonals and that they are so different from each other.

Nice motion blur shows us that the instrument is being played.

All in all, and please pardon this...well played:)

Great look to this shot Tracer and a really different take on the theme. Sort of agree with Sarah about the position of the moving plucker but in no way detracts from a great picture.

Cheers, Rob

great composition, would never have known what it was.. like the lines and flashes of red, the motion of the middle plucker adds interest too.

Really interesting 'play' shot - the diagonal composition with the red and white works really well.

Last edited:
Aaargh - what a week! I'm afraid I just don't have time to respond to your comments individually, but thank you all for looking and for your kind remarks.

I hope I can get 'chemistry' in on time but it will probably be another late Sunday night effort....

I used to dabble in watercolours a bit, which gave me the idea for this week's theme:

Week 10 - "Chemistry"

chemistry1793crop.jpg

Some colours react quite dramatically when you first mix them. Here you can see how Light Red explodes into the French Ultramarine as soon as it touches it. After a couple of seconds they blend together so that the tendrils disappear and the end result is much tamer.

It's taken with natural cloudy daylight from a window. I set everything up with the paper in place, went in with two paint brushes while looking through the viewfinder - splodge, splodge - then dived for the release. I got some paint on my glasses but not on the lens...:LOL:

Back