Treckr.co.uk Photography location search

Good idea, and have bookmarked it so I can have a proper look after work.
Only problem so far is if I enter 25 miled from Rochford (which is up the road from me here in darkest Essex) I get a map of Wyoming/South Dakota.

Bet there's some fantastic locations there, but it might be a bit of a tough one to sneak off to in my lunch hour though :)

hahahaha- unless you get super long lunches ;) The problem is google maps- which gives us the locations, if you enter Rochford,Essex it will work. We are currently thinking about how (probably using geo-ip) to place you by country- then only searching for the location you typed in.

I think it must have got the location from the ISP's details in any case as that was pre-populated (it's not far off).

Just signed up and added a location, will try and think of a few more local ones for later.....

I've just added three locations (probably add a few more before I go to bed), just a few suggestions though:

Possibility of choosing more than one location type. This could make it a bit awkward to navigate, however quite often some things go hand in hand, such as landscapes, coast and nature reserve. An example I just submitted is Porthcothan, Cornwall, which is obviously coast, but also quite plainly landscape, it also has a nature reserve for Corn Buntings next to it... :)

Ability to add photos on the "add location" page. That way you don't have to add them after? Or is it somehow automatic when you add them to the flickr group?

Be able to see the sattelite view on google maps on the "add location" page, may sound a bit silly but with the standard view it can be a little difficult to locate the points exactly.

EDIT: Also it may be a bit better if you could save exact locations and name them distinctively, at the moment you can essentially only put in the name of the town/village and I can see that being a bit of a problem if people want to put multiple things into one town. Also it would perhaps be nice if the location descriptions would keep their formatting. A couple of descriptions I wrote were reasonably long but now they are just a wall of text. :LOL:

Not that I am impatient but what sort of time scale between submitting and appearing on the map?

For the moment we are manually approving each entry- we don't want any spam on the site. It shouldn't take more than a couple of hours- if it does, pm me and I will get on it

Ability to add photos on the "add location" page. That way you don't have to add them after? Or is it somehow automatic when you add them to the flickr group?

It pulls images from the flickr group automatically based on the location your looking at (if there are images in the flickr group near enough to the location).

Possibility of choosing more than one location type. This could make it a bit awkward to navigate, however quite often some things go hand in hand, such as landscapes, coast and nature reserve. An example I just submitted is Porthcothan, Cornwall, which is obviously coast, but also quite plainly landscape, it also has a nature reserve for Corn Buntings next to it... :)

Hrm yes... need to think about that one- can see your point, and have thought about it previously myself......

Registered! Over Lancaster area for two weeks so hopefully will gee time to get some locations added.

Nice idea.

Pleased that this is getting some attention. (y)

I've just spotted another small niggle. The linked Flickr images in the location pages only seem to appear in landscape, and if there are any portrait images they get stretched to fit. Like this:

Not a great advert for my already very amateur photography. :LOL:

Great work though. I still think you're on to a winner with this site, once the little creases are ironed out. (y)

Pleased that this is getting some attention. (y)

I've just spotted another small niggle. The linked Flickr images in the location pages only seem to appear in landscape, and if there are any portrait images they get stretched to fit. Like this:

Not a great advert for my already very amateur photography. :LOL:

Great work though. I still think you're on to a winner with this site, once the little creases are ironed out. (y)

Hi Scott,
Cheers for pointing that out- its on our to-do list. Thanks for adding locations + images :)

I have another question, I have put up pics of southerndown, will they automatically get added to the ones already on there?

They will- they get picked at random from the current image bank- including yours (this updates once a day in the early hours of the morning)

Another question, I can see some of my pics popping up on the map, but I have taken some of Coity Castle, but when I click the tab on the map different ones come up.

Are they geotagged correctly? It will pick images (at random) which are closest to the location you are looking at.

Personal opinion, it looks a bit too 'twittery' for me. Like the idea and concept but it needs a lot more pics and reviews etc on it to make it work.

One marketing idea, to get people posting / signing up why not charge for full membership but have it 'free for a limited period' to get people in...

Personal opinion, it looks a bit too 'twittery' for me. Like the idea and concept but it needs a lot more pics and reviews etc on it to make it work.

One marketing idea, to get people posting / signing up why not charge for full membership but have it 'free for a limited period' to get people in...

Interesting idea- will suggest it in the next meeting (y)

We know it needs more data- but the more people that sign up and add locations/pictures, the more there is for everybody :)

I guess this didn't take off then? I must admit I hadn't used it for a while, but just went to have a browse for some locations, and was a bit confused when the page loaded up. :nuts:

Now an advert page for a holiday cottage!!!

I was a bit confused there too - glad it's not just me, will take a look at the other links though

Hi Everyone,

Sorry about that, project fell off a cliff for a short while. It's all back now though- and working hard on it for the new year. If anybody is interested in part of the project, please let me know :)

Alistair

Back