weekly Treehugger81's 2015 52 challenge - Week 9/10 - Vertical and Mouth added

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, I attempted a 52 challenge back in 2012, I got through a rather pitiful 8 weeks before I bailed never to be seen again until now :banana:

I'm looking to get as much from this as possible so your critique will help immensely and I will do my best to comment and give my opinion on as much as possible. From my last experience it is that which takes a lot of time and effort but it is that which helps you become a better Photographer and it also helps keep everyone going.

I'm imposing no rules upon myself apart from that each shot will be new and taken within the week. I shoot primarily with my canon 450d but I may also use my i-phone 5s.

Lets see where this year takes me!!

Week 0 : Pattern
Week 1 : Bliss
Week 2 : Fragile
Week 3 : Scenic
Week 4 : Companions
Week 5 : Elegant
Week 6 : Watery
Week 7 : Bold
Week 8 : RELAX to shoot
Week 9 : Vertical
Week 10 : Mouth
Week 11 :
Week 12 :
Week 13 :
Week 14 :
Week 15 :
Week 16 :
Week 17 :
Week 18 :
Week 19 :
Week 20 :
Week 21 :
Week 22 :
Week 23 :
Week 24 :
Week 25 :
Week 26 :
Week 27 :
Week 28 :
Week 29 :
Week 30 :
Week 31 :
Week 32 :
Week 33 :
Week 34 :
Week 35 :
Week 36 :
Week 37 :
Week 38 :
Week 39 :
Week 40 :
Week 41 :
Week 42 :
Week 43 :
Week 44 :
Week 45 :
Week 46 :
Week 47 :
Week 48 :
Week 49 :
Week 50 :
Week 51 :
Week 52 :

Last edited:
A slight cheat for my first but as its a practice week and its nearly time to kick off the challenge I figured i'd go through my archive from this past year and root something out.

This was a shot I took from a train window on a summer trip to Cornwall. I really like the pattern :woot: that was produced, as if i were travelling at light speed.

Last edited:
Oh most certainly a cheat :p
But a good image to start with (y)

:) I had a similar idea while driving back from the coast, but I've used my camera to much over the family Christmas break so decided not to.

Good start, though.

Just to add, the first few weeks of the TP52 can be mental, trying to comment on 80+ submissions can be very taxing. What I intend to do is for the first few weeks comment on what I consider to be the best submission for the previous month. Once numbers dwindle, which they unfortunately will, I'll comment on more. Of course, I would not expect you to comment on all my submissions (y)

Cheers.

Hiya Phil - that's a belter! Just the smidge of window surround to frame it which works really well. Great colours, nicely abstract without being too "out there" and also a lovely blend from the lightest greens on the right through to darker on the left - really suggesting "warp" to me.

Very well spotted and very nicely captured - an excellent start to the 52! (welcome, by the way...)

That's a great shot Phil - I love the different shades of greens and the way they radiate outwards slightly, as others have said, it really conveys speed

Hi Phil .... hope you manage to keep going this time, it does take some effort to keep on to the end but it definitely pays off. I took some of my photos with my iphone last year.

Your choice this week is a bit of a a cheat .... but it is only a practice week and I love it .... a really smashing abstract shot.

Loving all the shades of green coming through and the hint of dark window frame lets the viewer place to subject without it being distracting.

It is a bit of a cheat but a great shot nonetheless, definitely a warp speed pattern. I had a few I'd already shot to choose from but when I did the challenge in 2009 I found I got the most out of it by shooting something different very week. Welcome from me too :welcome:

It's your 52 and only you can set your rules so it can't be cheating :)

Off to a flying start (well traveling anyway)

A lovely unusual take on the theme. Well done.

HI Phil & welcome back...good to see you again :wave:

I love that shot.....very space/time travelling effect , strong bold colors creating a fab effect (y)

As it's only practice week I'll not mention that it's an old shot..........:exit:

Great shot.
Good Luck for your 2015 52 challenge.

Hi Phil

Yes that bit of window frame puts it into perspective.

Love it ... bring on the creativity.

Love the colours on that, and a great idea. Something I'd like to have a go at but I never go on the train!

Welcome to 2015 52s Phil - a good start! With 68 starters for the year, I don’t think any of us have a chance of commenting on every entry every week, but I hope to keep popping in to each thread at least once in a while. Good luck with the rest of the year.

Week 1 - Bliss

This was my first good thought for this theme. The moments when I am feeling completely blissed out are when i'm listening to music or when I witness a beautiful sunset. So I asked a friend of mine to pose for me and I came up with this. Never really asked to photo anyone before so I'm definitely getting out of my comfort zone from the get go. I'm pleased with the result.

Week 1 - Bliss

Another friend joined us on the beach and another idea struck me, and this second entry was the result.

Week 1 - Bliss

I really like both so would like some help in choosing one to post to the flickr group. Cheers guys.

They are both good, and good ideas, but IMO also both lacking a little,
I'd like to have seen a bit more arm length in #2
and a slightly different angle on #1 to show a little more
in the way of facial feature's.
Others of course may see it differently.
On Balance I think that #1 just has the edge though,
due to the natural light, falling on her face.

They are both good, and good ideas, but IMO also both lacking a little,
I'd like to have seen a bit more arm length in #2
and a slightly different angle on #1 to show a little more
in the way of facial feature's.
Others of course may see it differently.
On Balance I think that #1 just has the edge though,
due to the natural light, falling on her face.

Thanks for the critique Cobra. I agree with both of your comments. (y) The inclusion of the corner of the eye in number one would also have given the viewer a better look at the earphone. As for the second a view of the sky at the top of the arms maybe would have enhanced the shot.

I do like them both, but agree need more arm length! No 1 for me aswel

Good ideas aswel- I struggled with my first entry ha! Brains not ticking over yet!

I do like them both, but agree need more arm length! No 1 for me aswel

Good ideas aswel- I struggled with my first entry ha! Brains not ticking over yet!

Thanks for the comments Andy. My blissful ideas came easy, luckily. Ive spent a lot of time down on the beach shooting sunsets this past year.

I like them both but the first one is stronger for me. Nice highlights from the sun on the subject too.

Hi Phil

great idea for the theme.....of the 2 images I'm preferring 1 for the lovely light on her hair & the side of her face....there's enough in the shot that I know that it relates to the theme :clap:

The 2nd image I think has potential to be wonderful but needs a little more definition on the hands....as it is it could almost be a structure you are looking at the sunset through.....mayb a bit of space between the arms and a little more light on the ?

Bliss - two very good Images for the theme, I myself can't decided between the two................... I think as @Cobra says if there was a little bit more arm length in the image. That would make the image in my honest opinion, and well done for getting out of your comfort zone.

Hi Phil, two good shots and I'll agree with Cobra re: #2... a bit longer vertically would work for me.

My fave is the first and I love that... superb light. I'd maybe have upped your POV a touch to capture some more of the orange in the empty space to the right but otherwise it's bang on for me. Really nicely taken shot! :)

cheers guys looks like no. 1 is the favourite so i'll be posting that to the flickr group.

The comments are really constructive so i think that I'll be going back to the first shot at some point during the year for a reshoot.

No1 for me too. both nice shots though. A bit of a sucker for sunsets.

Week 1 - Bliss

This was my first good thought for this theme. The moments when I am feeling completely blissed out are when i'm listening to music or when I witness a beautiful sunset. So I asked a friend of mine to pose for me and I came up with this. Never really asked to photo anyone before so I'm definitely getting out of my comfort zone from the get go. I'm pleased with the result.

My first thoughts too ... but we haven't had the weather for it here in London.

I think they're both very good #1 especially (y)

Both great shot both on theme but personally prefer shot 2

Back