WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Australian bloke pulled up and asked me which road was the way to 'Loogabarooga'
:ROFLMAO:

There are 3 areas here
1) Broughton
2)Woughton
3)Loughton
And each one pronounced differently
1) brow-ton ( as in eyebrow)
but sometimes brawn-ton ( as in pigs brawn)
2) woof-ton ( as in dog speak)
3) llow-ton ( as in allow)

There are 3 areas here
1) Broughton
2)Woughton
3)Loughton

The place that always gets me is Cogenhoe, how you get Kook-Na out of that defies the English language!! :LOL: :oops: :$

The place that always gets me is Cogenhoe, how you get Kook-Na out of that defies the English language!! :LOL: :oops: :$
I know it. A lot of places around here, and I'm sure elsewhere too,
have their names roots in ancient times, with different spellings and pronunciations,
that somehow got lost or altered, over time.

There are 3 areas here
1) Broughton
2)Woughton
3)Loughton

I'd struggle a bit with these, and I'm not sure I'd get Worcestershire right either. I'm Scottish on my father's side, and South African (of English descent) on my mother's. My accent and the way I speak probably owe more to my mother, who grew up in pre-war Natal (now Kwa-Zulu Natal), but I've never lived or worked in England.

Mind you, Tweebuffelsmeteenskootmorsdoodgeskietfontein takes a bit of effort. It's an Afrikaans place name in SA and means 'the spring (as in water) where two buffaloes were shot stone-dead with one shot'. :)

have their names roots in ancient times, with different spellings and pronunciations,

Sometimes the written form just comes from mapmakers having a tab at writing down the name as spoken in the local dialect. So no rhyme or reason :(.

I agree. There were a number of attempts to bring some sort of standardisation to English spelling, but Samuel Johnson probably made the greatest contribution with his Dictionary which was published in mid C18th. I think a lot of place names survived that though!

There are 3 areas here
1) Broughton
2)Woughton
3)Loughton

could also add

Houghton, as in Houghton-le-Spring
Towcester, and
Milngavie

Dave

Mildenhall - pronounced locally as 'Mine all'.

Trottersleigh - pronounced locally as Trozley.

Its currently 20oC & 90% humidity.
Looks like its gonna be another sleepless night.
( Apologies to Crystal Gayle)

35 here ATM! And it's almost half past Ouzo...

Time to hit the ignore button again in a thread.
I just can't believe the amount of bad feeling, in, or the need to dissect "that" thread.
What is wrong with some people? :(

I just can't believe the amount of bad feeling, in, or the need to dissect "that" thread.
What is wrong with some people? :(

I can't get my head round it so hit the ignore, try and do a good thing and hell breaks loose sadly.

What thread?

Something in off or hot topics?

On that subject and not naming anyone I think there are posters who live in there or at least I've never seen them in the other threads and don't remember seeing a single photo posted by them. Seems odd to spend all your time on other subjects but photography.

Anyway. My annoyance today is AA directions. At times it's just widely wrong. Looking at it today as I'm going somewhere I've never been before tomorrow the map and satellite view don't match the printed directions and when positioning the little man on the road and trying to follow it it throws me off at the same point every time into an underpass and there's an extra round about in the directions which isn't visible on the map or satellite view.

Last edited:
What thread?
The mpb competion its turning into a bun fight.
God knows what Jamil ( our mpb liaison) must be thinking.

On that subject and not naming anyone I think there are posters who live in there or at least I've never seen them in the other threads and don't remember seeing a single photo posted by them.
No need to name and shame Alan, I know exactly who they are.
And you are quite quite correct in all your observations!
There are far too many IMO. :(

The mpb competion its turning into a bun fight.
God knows what Jamil ( our mpb liaison) must be thinking.

No need to name and shame Alan, I know exactly who they are.
And you are quite quite correct in all your observations!
There are far too many IMO. :(
Your cynicism may be one of the root causes. Assuming the worst in people and suggesting there’s an angle. Where’s the community spirit in that?

People post here all the time and share where and what they want to. Some coke and go with months between posting, others live here. If a member wants to take a picture and post it in the competition as well as for critique or the facility for admiration elsewhere then there is no angle. It’s just a TP member here for what they want to be here for with the added benefit of perhaps winning something.

As for the rest of those posting about rights to images, suggesting that there is some sort of hidden agenda or any other tinfoil hat wearing nonsense, why don’t you deal with that rather than punishing the odd few who may have thought it was a great addition to the forum only to have some grumpy sod put a downer on it?

The negativity started with you in that thread and if you can’t see that then take a step back and let someone else deal with it.

Your cynicism may be one of the root causes. Assuming the worst in people and suggesting there’s an angle. Where’s the community spirit in that?
You have no idea what you are talking about, I've never seen a positive post from you. Now do shut up about it there's a good chap.
Oh and that's a final warning just to be clear.

Last edited:
You have no idea what you are talking about, no do shut up about it there's a good chap.
You have PMs I’m sure. Why don’t you explain it there rather than being rude about it here. Your an admin after all.

And as for not seeing a positive post, I’ve just checked my last posts since returning and a good page worth before them, all positive. Each and every member here can easily look and do the same. Claiming an angle from a post welcoming such a competition and how it’s a great addition to the forum is the first negative post in there and it’s yours!! How disappointing.

Last edited:
You have PMs I’m sure. Why don’t you explain it there rather than being rude about it here. Your an admin after all.
You are always bitching about some Staff decision one way or another.
I did warn you!

You were told to drop it .. Some people never learn no matter how many times you tell / warn them.

Last edited:
WAMT - The boiler was down in the red so I thought I would repressurise it. First off, couldn't find a torch to illuminate the filling loop. Then the white key wouldn't go in and I could see a problem with the bottom O ring. Then it went in, so I opened the filliing loop, turned the white screw anti clockwise and water started coming out - damn, never happened before. So, quickly turned the white screw clock -wise and removed the key. The bottom O ring is toast, split.
Everything I try to do at the moment seems to cause problems.
This should have been an easy job.

WAMT - The boiler was down in the red so I thought I would repressurise it. First off, couldn't find a torch to illuminate the filling loop. Then the white key wouldn't go in and I could see a problem with the bottom O ring. Then it went in, so I opened the filliing loop, turned the white screw anti clockwise and water started coming out - damn, never happened before. So, quickly turned the white screw clock -wise and removed the key. The bottom O ring is toast, split.

I seem to have a similar system. The water goes below the red (red is OK on mine) when the outside temp drops one night (but ok thereafter). People say Yorkshire Water finds it cheaper to keep the water pressure down than sort the leaks*. My boiler is outside the house so to avoid unnecessary checks in the morning I have an old security camera (Neos) set to watch the gauge so I can check while still in bed if necessary :LOL: .

*We had a massive mains burst yesterday at the bottom of the hill I live on so maybe the pressure will improve with the repairs!

WAMT?

The massive amount of lane slaloming roosters on the M25 today.

Winkers!

Greenstar boiler by any chance. If i got the key in and lined up to turn, the damn thing was almost impossible to then extract when done.

WAMT: The USA over-turning a constitutional right to abortion therefore presumably making sure there will be enough targets in their schools for the newly-enhanced constitutional right to carry concealed weapons. Controversial perhaps but...

I seem to have a similar system. The water goes below the red (red is OK on mine) when the outside temp drops one night (but ok thereafter). People say Yorkshire Water finds it cheaper to keep the water pressure down than sort the leaks*. My boiler is outside the house so to avoid unnecessary checks in the morning I have an old security camera (Neos) set to watch the gauge so I can check while still in bed if necessary :LOL: .

*We had a massive mains burst yesterday at the bottom of the hill I live on so maybe the pressure will improve with the repairs!
I went on a work training course run by Yorkshire Water Board back in the 90s. The instructor told us they were losing about 40% of the water they pumped out, through leakage in the old iron pipework. I hope they’ve improved since then but I bet it’s still pretty high.

Greenstar boiler by any chance. If i got the key in and lined up to turn, the damn thing was almost impossible to then extract when done.

It is a Worcester Bosch, but I had exactly the same problem as you last time and yesterday where it was virtually impossible to extract. This morning, I was looking forward to my daily shower, but the water was fluctuating between scorching and stone cold, with about ten seconds of warm - not a good experience, lots of swearing.

Back