Weather warning

I think they're now in the situation where if there's the slightest chance of something happening they make it out as impending danger just to cover themselves, said the same for Cambridgeshire with 70-80 mph gusts but now tonight they're saying there is no storm yet so not 100% sure where it'll start, go or finish

Checked the charts and it's due sunday, with the south west taking the full brunt of it!

Yes, we might have some weather this weekend :p

It'll have to be pretty biblical to stop me going Calais on Sunday.

The weather has already been MENTAL up here in Halifax. My street was a total river - I watched the recycling bins make their way down the hill...

Then thunder and lightning - exciting!

Just been to my local B&Q store nearly every isle was flooded, water was pouring in through the roof over most of the shelves. The staff were just watching unable to stop it. My guess is well over 30k worth of stock ruined in a matter of minutes.

Man up southern softies:D.

We get that extreme weather up here quite regular like. Look at the floods in Elgin, Stonehaven in recent years (where I've spent winters in the past) and the low temperatures in places like Braemar and Aboyne (where I sometimes still have to work).;)

Met office rep on the news this evening admitted that currently they are predicting the track of the storm to hit hardest across Wales, the midlands and Norfolk; whereas this morning is was the south coast. She also admitted that they have no firm idea where, or even IF it will hit the UK.

Just hope it leaves some of the leaves intact at Westonbirt Arboretum.

I off down Portland Bill tomorrow (y)

image.ashx

The low that will bring this weather is only just forming so pretty much just speculation at this stage

Where's the TP weatherman when you need him? :D

It'll have to be pretty biblical to stop me going Calais on Sunday.

I did a chanel crossing at the time of the Fastnet race disaster - I have never seen so much vomit in my life - fair weather sailor only here now ;)

I did a chanel crossing at the time of the Fastnet race disaster - I have never seen so much vomit in my life - fair weather sailor only here now ;)

Which crossing? I was on the Plymouth/Roscoff (I think, although it could have been Cherbourg/Le Havre) that day and I was the only customer for the cafeteria. I was the oik wandering around chomping on sandwiches, guzzling cans of coke and burping loudly! My most vivid memories are the besuited gentleman puking into the wind and getting it straight back and the similarly attired chap on his knees in the bog with the contents of many others' stomachs lapping around his knees as he knelt at the porcelain altar to Hughey...

Relatively calm here at the moment but we will be taking the bird feeders down just in case it starts blowing a hooley tonight.

Which crossing? I was on the Plymouth/Roscoff (I think, although it could have been Cherbourg/Le Havre) that day and I was the only customer for the cafeteria. I was the oik wandering around chomping on sandwiches, guzzling cans of coke and burping loudly! My most vivid memories are the besuited gentleman puking into the wind and getting it straight back and the similarly attired chap on his knees in the bog with the contents of many others' stomachs lapping around his knees as he knelt at the porcelain altar to Hughey...

Relatively calm here at the moment but we will be taking the bird feeders down just in case it starts blowing a hooley tonight.

Me toooooo - we did Roscoff/Plymouth - the toilets had a sort of reverse flushing system going on - it was like a geyser at times :LOL:

I've never been seasick. It don't affect me in the slightest thank Christ. Seen better men than me crippled by it. Nae good like!!

I remember going to Shetland on the ferry from Aberdeen to work up there for a few months, on 5 January 1984. Boy that was rough, you couldn't even walk without getting pitched about. Survived it without puking tho unlike my apprentice:D:D

Worst crossing I ever had was the old B&I ferry Liverpool - Dublin about 40 years back.

Was normally an 8 hours night crossing but sea was so bad they were queuing to get into Dublin Port. Couldn't get a Guinness as the staff were on the "God Phone". Think it was about 18 hours in the end.

As I Live in the Mendips we have taken the precautionary principle and cleared anything loose out of the garden and paddock and locked them in my under construction studio garage conversion. We are on the top of the hill here and hoping for a windfall sit on lawn.mower and maybe a vintage e type jaguar.....

I lost a tyre in London in 1987 when driving my Jeep CJ7 Renegade over a fallen tree heading to work. £135 replacement which my then boss laughed off despite me being the only person to get in.

So IF we get the big winds tomorrow I am staying in and staying comfy!

We have an Amber Alert for the weather according to BBC Bristol.

Steve

Last edited:

I don't mind bad weather at sea - apart from the vomit. I thoroughly enjoyed a nighttime storm on a Med cruise a few years back, watching all those poor souls who couldn't take it. For a while, I was the only reason the bar remained open :)

But tomorrow I really do have it sussed. I'm using the tunnel :D

As I Live in the Mendips we have taken the precautionary principle and cleared anything loose out of the garden and paddock and locked them in my under construction studio garage conversion. We are on the top of the hill here and hoping for a windfall sit on lawn.mower and maybe a vintage e type jaguar.....

Blimey - I thought CarolineS and I were the only TPers on the top of the hill.
Yup - batten down the hatches just in case; though it's gorgeous at the mo - light(ish) wind, fluffy white cloud and sunshine.

25 centigrade, sunny and warm, but then I am in Rhodes currently. Is it a bit wet back home? We fly back tonight.

25 centigrade, sunny and warm, but then I am in Rhodes currently. Is it a bit wet back home? We fly back tonight.

Tis a bit blowy here, nothing more.

No rain at all (so far) and mid teens this afternoon

I off down Portland Bill tomorrow :thumbs

I'm off down to Pagham Habour tomorrow for a spot of birdwatching. Migrants hopefully will be stopping off in their hundreds (she hopes :LOL:)

Di

Living on the east coast,we receive more than our fair share of "blows". As a cyclist,believe me I know about the effects of high winds and I have had to cancel many a ride because of our local weather. Having said that, I'm not sure what precautions I am supposed to take at home when a big blow is forecast. For sure I wouldn't venture out in a small boat when the forecast is so bad, but other than collecting my remaining apples from my trees before they are blown to the deck, what else am I supposed to do?

Living on the east coast,we receive more than our fair share of "blows". As a cyclist,believe me I know about the effects of high winds and I have had to cancel many a ride because of our local weather. Having said that, I'm not sure what precautions I am supposed to take at home when a big blow is forecast. For sure I wouldn't venture out in a small boat when the forecast is so bad, but other than collecting my remaining apples from my trees before they are blown to the deck, what else am I supposed to do?

Do you not have any hatches that need battening down :shrug:

Blimey - I thought CarolineS and I were the only TPers on the top of the hill.
Yup - batten down the hatches just in case; though it's gorgeous at the mo - light(ish) wind, fluffy white cloud and sunshine.

Been down these parts over 16 years now. Just got back from Frome and the breeze is getting stronger....

Still a bif of a hurricane just needs common sense and sensible precautions.

Hope after a nice summer we will not get the snow this winter.

Strve

Not sure where you're flying into but if BRS, could be a bit lumpy!

Feeders down from the station - too dark and windy for the birds to want them now anyway!

Been pretty much wet and gusty here all day, some relly heavy downpours.

Big difference here to my old house is that I am all electric, whereas I used to have the AGA and open fire, we've had a few power cuts since I moved but thankfully not of as long as at the house.

Still today as a precaution I went and bought a camping stove with 2 burnes so at least I can still have coffee if the worst happens :D

I just hope its not as bad as the great storm of 1987. That was devastating...it blew one of my wellies over and filled my fishpond with leaves!

I just hope its not as bad as the great storm of 1987. That was devastating...it blew one of my wellies over and filled my fishpond with leaves!

You keep leaves in your wellies?

:D

Back