Weddings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of interest - and please be serious - did anyone else think my initial response was OTT...?
I keep re-reading it and still can't see why he took such offense...

Maybe it's a language problem...especially if he was a Septic...

No, Rob, not a problem at all with it...but, when you take into account most hobbyists simply do not have a clue how passionate a subject it is I'm not surprised he felt shocked by it.

Just out of interest - and please be serious - did anyone else think my initial response was OTT...?

i think since you didn't use any smilies for instance, the OP wasn't aware of what specific tone you were using. It can be difficult at times, as many people interpit varied wording differently.

I thought that the general tone of responses was negative, although not Arkady's in particular. Without wishing to appear controversial, I do get the impression that the reason some professional wedding photographers on here don't like the idea of amateurs asking for advice is because of the unwelcome competition, not necessarily because it's that hard to do. :eek:

I recently shot a wedding as a favour to somebody who couldn't afford a professional and, despite some initial reluctance on my part, it went very smoothly. I didn't charge and told them not to have the same expectations that they would have had from a pro, just in case, but it is fair to say that everybody was pleased with the results. I regard myself as a reasonably experienced amateur and found shooting the wedding fairly straightforward.

Perhaps there's some smoke and mirrors going on?

English is my first language so please... I am not a he, I am a she by the way.

Plus you've sent a message to site staff asking for your account to be closed, which we don't do by the way ;)

Yes I did, nothing wrong in asking for that

As Hacker has already said, you've actually been offered some good advice in this thread.

Have you not read what I have written? I stated many times I recieved good advice I never ever said I did not recieve good advice if so please show me....

If you choose to leave that's your choice. However, if you decide to stick around try adjusting your posting style.

Adjust my posting style to what? So there is a specific way to write on this forum? Just curious.

There are a lot of people here willing to help, but no one responds well to having their advice thrown back in their face :nono:

Tell me what advice I threw in who's face? Please be precise.

I thought that the general tone of responses was negative, although not Arkady's in particular. Without wishing to appear controversial, I do get the impression that the reason some professional wedding photographers on here don't like the idea of amateurs asking for advice is because of the unwelcome competition, not necessarily because it's that hard to do. :eek:

I recently shot a wedding as a favour to somebody who couldn't afford a professional and, despite some initial reluctance on my part, it went very smoothly. I didn't charge and told them not to have the same expectations that they would have had from a pro, just in case, but it is fair to say that everybody was pleased with the results. I regard myself as a reasonably experienced amateur and found shooting the wedding fairly straightforward.

I don't think there's any smoke & mirrors going on. Weddings can be hard, especially if the weather and location are against you. If you're finding shooting weddings straightforward maybe you should think about starting doing it full time :p

Perhaps is because the pro's have seen the results of some amateurs and the disappointment of the bride and groom who were saving a few quid. It's usually the pro's that get the call from these couples saying "is there anything you can do with these"

Perhaps there's a bit of protecting the professionalism of all professional photographers as well, those that do weddings with no insurance, no backups for when things go wrong and (sometimes) not a great deal of planning. One bad photographer can make give the whole profession a bad name.

Just a thought :)

Thank you! You at least see what I was getting from eveyone. But I thank you for sharing your experience and for opening your mind in understanding how I have reacted instead of just throwing out bitter/smart mouthed comments! As I have written, I will not take part in the wedding. Thanks for your respect and honesty.

i think the OP's gone Pte Pyle on us!

" this is my rifle. there are many rifles like it but this one is mine............"

NO I haven't....I would love to sit in front of the computer all day and fight you all off my back but I am at work!

I shouldn't feed but I will - that response just shows how little understanding you have of all the issues involved - its not about somebody 'taking' work at all - not wishing to sound cold if somebody can't/won't pay for a wedding photographer then they are of no interest to me as a client, but I just think if you take money of somebody for a job then you should have the knowledge, skills, kit and back up to be able to deliver that job before you take the money.

No smoke and mirrors or anything else about that is there

already told the OP in my first post in this thread that it was just pointing out the inevitable

guess what? you were right (y)

we could have another "chip-in" & buy him some thicker skin or a sense of humour?

You do not know who I am to even think of what I may need. If you want to waist your money on buying new skin and a sense of humour..feel free!

Nsmall, I don't know Arkady from Adam. But all he did was to warn you that you will get some very harsh advice when the subject is about a totally in-experience wedding togger doing a wedding for a freind etc etc,

Don't shoot the messenger springs to mind.

ive been running these boards from day 1, and I know Arkady from even before then...I can assure you, he was NOT being rude, he was warning you that your question was likely to cause upset, and it did.

At the risk of being 'rude' :D

I am disappointed that someone can throw out more of these :dummy::dummy::dummy::dummy::dummy: than my kids had between them, and repeatedly say they are 'off' while boringly keep coming back to chip in more tripe :wacky:

DD

PS - bet he's gone now - or will this too merit a "I'm gone, but yak yak yak" defensive drivel :shrug:

Oh - and back OT

If you are taking anything more than expenses from people you are acting as a PRO - end of. If you can't cut it, don't have all the gear, back-up, insurance, knowledge, etc. then you either do it for expenses only or learn to do it right and be prepared as a Pro. A half-cocked approach is just as likely to end with you in hot water as it is poorer images than they should be. When you take a decent wedge from people you give them certain expectations, and you're in the crapper if you can't deliver up to those expectations

DD

At the risk of being 'rude' :D

I am disappointed that someone can throw out more of these :dummy::dummy::dummy::dummy::dummy: than my kids had between them, and repeatedly say they are 'off' while boringly keep coming back to chip in more tripe :wacky:

DD

If you read the previous posts......I apparently cannot have the administrators of the site delete my profile which I asked about yesterday.

I am not the only one here who is throwing out dummies...... now it is all about how dare I say something against blahblahblah

you feel disappointed...good your choice to let yourself sway that way.

So you mean to tell me with all those smart remarks even after my inital post, I am not allwoed to defend myself or respond back? If so i do have strength within myself to respond back and also to admit that i will not be doing the wedding and also to admit that I have taken in the good bad and ugly...which led me to my decision of not shooting .....I am a child to you?

PS - bet he's gone now - or will this too merit a "I'm gone, but yak yak yak" defensive drivel :shrug:

Oh - and back OT

If you are taking anything more than expenses from people you are acting as a PRO - end of. If you can't cut it, don't have all the gear, back-up, insurance, knowledge, etc. then you either do it for expenses only or learn to do it right and be prepared as a Pro. A half-cocked approach is just as likely to end with you in hot water as it is poorer images than they should be. When you take a decent wedge from people you give them certain expectations, and you're in the crapper if you can't deliver up to those expectations

DD

Thanks for the input and advice..i can for sure take this info and digest with no problem but to me your previous write-up is really foolish and not needed....I stand up for myself...if people cannot understand that.......:bang:

Thanks for the input and advice..i can for sure take this info and digest with no problem but to me your previous write-up is really foolish and not needed....I stand up for myself...if people cannot understand that.......:bang:

he has quite a few valid points though doesn't he?

Nsmall, I don't know Arkady from Adam. But all he did was to warn you that you will get some very harsh advice when the subject is about a totally in-experience wedding togger doing a wedding for a freind etc etc,

Don't shoot the messenger springs to mind.

You know of him fromthe site and more than you know me whether you have met,went out to lunch or not.

Dave, he who has the valid points, is most certainly a he :D

Just checked and you're right - I is a 'he' :D

Asking what lens to use and whether you need a flash or not is what a rank newbie asks when covering a mate's Wedding, where said mate simply has no money available for a Pro tog. If I read 'her' post correctly, then money is changing hands which raises the game hugely

So to clarify - Nsmall - are you suggesting you're being paid as a Pro or not??? The $1250 could be read as YOUR budget for gear :shrug:

DD

For what its worth, yes some members on here do go over the top, and can seem rude with their comments. This is similar to any forum online, either they mean it tongue in cheek and it doesnt come across that way or they just like to be rude online (so many people arelike this I don't know why). Having said that no one in this thread has done anything that I would classify as rude or over the top.

You state this is your first wedding and you are being paid for it. Have you taken pictures ata wedding before, as a number 2 or anything? Surely if you are being paid you will have experience with flash's and would already have a lens that you are familiar with (knowing how sharp it is at certain apertures etc). Every wedding photographer has to start somewhere but I dont think they should start by being paid the rate you have stated when they dont know the answers to the questions you have asked.

The whole arguement about pro wedding photographers being scared of compiteion is a load of Brown as there work/expericence/confidence will speak for itself. Any time I have taken photographs at a wedding as a favour to the bride or groom (as a number 2 to the pofessional, for candids and the like) the Pro has been nothing but helpful to me, giving me pointers on what to look out for and even inviting me to see him process his own final pictures. Just my expericence.

Just clear things up...........

I am a fashion and beauty photographer and I have been published in the newspaper, I have done a lot of clothing shoots for local designers annd work with modeling agencies to help build models their portfolios. I have a 1200 square foot photo studio with whom I share with another photographer- not saying that having a studio makes you a pro....but for those of you who think I am just a hobyist...this is not the case for me at all.)

For a while I have been looking into doing weddings since last year to be exact( I have done events indoor and outdoor but never weddings ) I want to branch out my talent to doing weddings.The fashion(well most categories) is very up and down and so I thought this would be an opportunity for me to start off in doing weddings.

So I decided to come here and ask questions in regards to how to go about shooting a wedding and waht essentials would be best to have.

I am a fashion and beauty photographer and I have been published in the newspaper, I have done a lot of clothing shoots for local designers annd work with modeling agencies to help build models their portfolios. I have a 1200 square foot photo studio with whom I share with another photographer- not saying that having a studio makes you a pro....but for those of you who think I am just a hobyist...this is not the case for me at all.)

For a while I have been looking into doing weddings since last year to be exact( I have done events indoor and outdoor but never weddings ) I want to branch out my talent to doing weddings.The fashion(well most categories) is very up and down and so I thought this would be an opportunity for me to start off in doing weddings.

So I decided to come here and ask questions in regards to how to go about shooting a wedding and waht essentials would be best to have.

You could have saved a whole lot of hassle by giving a better outline of your skill level several pages ago. :)

You know of him fromthe site and more than you know me whether you have met,went out to lunch or not.

I know you from the site now just as I know Arkady from the site!

Still justn't change the fact and point in my earlier post. Even if I knew you really well, you have still mis-interpreted Arkady's post, just apologise and move on.

My first thread on here I mistook a joke as a snide remark and reacted a little, but apologised in the end. Although some other git kept poking their nose in and wouldn't let it go.;)

extra detail would have saved a lot of hassle.

Still justn't change the fact and point in my earlier post. Even if I knew you really well, you have still mis-interpreted Arkady's post, just apologise and move on.

My first thread on here I mistook a joke as a snide remark and reacted a little, but apologised in the end. Although some other git kept poking their nose in and wouldn't let it go.;)

Justn't?? Made up a new word!

You could have saved a whole lot of hassle by giving a better outline of your skill level several pages ago. :)

:agree: you're rather stupidly allowed yourself to take a lot of flak unnecessarily

That said - I now cannot believe an experienced tog would ask the questions you have done :shake: I don't do fashion shoots, but I know what gear I'd be using to do so if I was to try my hand at it

I don't get you - I really don't :shrug:

DD

One question though, if you are already a professional photographer and you have all this experience why would you not know what lens to use at a wedding? The presence of a lady in a big white dress should hardly worry a professional fashion and events tog.

That's not quite adding up in my head, but having spent all day talking to wedding clients not a lot is right now!

:agree: you're rather stupidly allowed yourself to take a lot of flak unnecessarily

That said - I now cannot believe an experienced tog would ask the questions you have done :shake: I don't do fashion shoots, but I know what gear I'd be using to do so if I was to try my hand at it

DD

Agreed.

One question though, if you are already a professional photographer and you have all this experience why would you not know what lens to use at a wedding? The presence of a lady in a big white dress should hardly worry a professional fashion and events tog.

That's not quite adding up in my head, but having spent all day talking to wedding clients not a lot is right now!

She didn't say she was a pro, Ali. Just has a studio. Um, now I'm really confused. Actually, it makes sense a little. Bugger, I'm going to watch Dr Who instead.

shurley not shirley! :LOL:

Seriously, I am a bit surprised, in fact almost gobsmacked, that you have let the thread get THIS far and only just chose to mention that you are not some hobbyist, but a professional in a different sphere. You say that you will stand up for yourself, yet have failed over more than 4 pages to respond to the 'newbie' comments. :shrug: Forgive me if I find that a little odd, that you are fully aware of the perils you place yourself in when it comes to accepting money from clients but have merely climbed aboard your high horse and taken offence where none was either intended or insinuated, in any language.

Anyhooo, if I may offer you a ladder - I have been around these forums for few years now and I know the place to be tolerant, friendly, forgiving, quick to react, and quick to defend its own, especially when they are being shot at for daring to offer advice someone seemingly didn't want to hear. They are also quick to welcome, even the someone doing the shooting when they put down their bow..... so you could spend time here 'sticking up for yourself'....or be welcomed as one of the crowd and find somewhere you might actually enjoy being.... ;)

DD
And you do not have to get me either. So is shooting weddings the same as shooting fashion?

And you do not have to get me either. So is shooting weddings the same as shooting fashion?

Not necessarily but if you were shooting portraiture of any kind professionally the equipment necessary to do so is rather similar.

There is certainly enough of an overlap that you should not have to be asking "which lens"

You should know what a head shot is and how to light and shoot it, you should know how to pose and shoot a 3/4 and same for a full length. You should understand the priciples of lighting and how to pose a person in that light to best effect.

The only thing you don't have in fashion is the shots during the ceremony which you can't control but then, having done events you should know how to shoot that too.

In fact, with the fashion/events mix, you should really be able to teach us never mind ask what is always going to be perceived as a very basic question.

So that's perhaps why we are being a skeptical bunch.

DD

Yes I am stupid....

To be honest, I really did not think that asking the questions I did would conjure up the smart remark alley....negative and postive feedback I expected as in anything, but not the stupidity.

I also did not think I had to share my whole self behind photography in order to get a more repectable responses. I thought that this would be a place you can ask a question you have thought on or interests tips, and they would be answered.................... without the fluff......

This is just like a reality show! Always someone that has to add the fluff where it is not needed in the first place!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back