What car do you drive?

Being an ex salesman I've found some of the experience stories quite amusing. A couple of years ago I remember a case. At the time I was working for Toyota and a friend was working next door at Jag. On the day in question a Polo Harlequin drove into the car park and the young lad (Mid 20s) walked straight into the Jag showroom and started trying to get into a £110k Jag XKRS. A couple of the other salespeople hid whilst my friend approached the young lad. Long story short the lad left an hour later having left a £10k deposit on a light blue XKRS without any negotiation. Turns out he'd won the Euro Millions a few weeks previously!!

When I was looking for my current car, we were wandering around on the forecourt looking at what they had in stock when the senior salesperson came out and asked us if we were after anything in particular. I am not the most unscruffy individual and that day, I was wearing an old Swedish army coat, jeans and trainers. Not an eye was batted. Didn't bother going over the road to see the Mercs - a mate had truly appalling service from them the day before so decided that I'd rather spend my cash somewhere that treated people properly!

When I was looking for my current car, we were wandering around on the forecourt looking at what they had in stock when the senior salesperson came out and asked us if we were after anything in particular. I am not the most unscruffy individual and that day, I was wearing an old Swedish army coat, jeans and trainers. Not an eye was batted. Didn't bother going over the road to see the Mercs - a mate had truly appalling service from them the day before so decided that I'd rather spend my cash somewhere that treated people properly!

Aye, Skoda dealers aren't too snobby. :D

;)

Reactions: ST4
I was in a McLaren showroom recently.... Really nice people

TBH for my 26 each way commute its fine and save me £275 per month
£275 a month? What were you running, my commute is about a third of yours but I only spend about £65 a month on fuel for my Focus ST.

What did you think of the Touran. Its on my short list of cars (Touran, Galaxy, S-Max, Sharan, Alhambra, C4 Picasso)

Touran - weak turbo system if the maf sensor doesnt clog the map sensor oils up and if they dont get you the turbo probably will if doing high miles.....otherwise economical and nippy.....although last 3 years or so they rely on the turbo to gain the differing bhp models which would worry me.

Sharan and alhambra - essentially the same as each other just diff badges. Both good but less economy than touran and although larger somehow manage to make access to extra seating harder than 7 seater touran.

C4 picasso - you dont see many old or high milers about.

TBH for my 26 each way commute its fine and save me £275 per month
Same distance as you about £4.50 a day on a vehicle that does 0-100mph in under 6 secs :D
£81 road tax, £100 insurance...

Attachments

• Kw_ZZR_1200_2004_1024.jpg
    Kw_ZZR_1200_2004_1024.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 17
Everyday car - Skoda Yeti 140bhp Diesel 4 x 4

seems to do most things well

Is there a deal on these at the moment? I've seen at least 3/4 of these around my area in the past week or so and thats in a smallish town on the east coast of Scotland .
Not that I know of. I've had this one for 2 years now. Due to change next summer. Thinking of going down the SUV route again.

Is there a deal on these at the moment? I've seen at least 3/4 of these around my area in the past week or so and thats in a smallish town on the east coast of Scotland .
Yes there is and there was. The AMG versions were going very cheap with large discounts. Both to buy and to contract hire. They've been incredible value for money for a long time now. Heck otherwise I wouldn't have gone for my GL class version over a Discovery.

I'm currently driving an MG ZT 190, basically a chavved up Rover 75 with a 190hp 2.5 V6 engine. I bought it back in January 2013 unseen from eBay. I spotted it, saw it was the spec/colour I was after, saw that the auction was ending soon so stuck a bid of £800 on and ended up getting it for £770. 9 previous owners (I think I'm the 10th), no service history and being located in Canvey Island added to the overall picture, however, it drove well enough and had a years MOT, so I handed over the money. I've since done 25K miles in it, been to many places in it and I must say, it's a brilliant car. When I first bought it, I only really intended to keep it for a year at maximum, as long as it lasted that long, but I've now recently MOT'd it for the second time and will probably simply keep it going with basic/necessary maintenance (oil change, etc) until it conks out. In terms of overall condition, it's a bit of a shed, but it drives nicely and sounds great.

14273618724_e23d3fcf70_c.jpg

From Dec 2012 until Dec 2014 it did 883 miles. So you did over 24K miles in the space of four months? Blimely, I sometimes get the urge to go for a drive but.... lol ;)

Those Vtec engines don't do fuel economy. I'm averaging 22mpg on my 6 mile cross town commute at the minute :LOL:

best yet from my 2015 Type R IS 42mpg - sensible driving....

The Mrs has had 82mpg from her civic 1.6idtec tourer - that coupled with free road tax its hard to beat

Staying off the turbo I assume?
Best I've had from my 2009 is 34.1, motorway miles, cruise control, 70mph

Indeed right off it, driving like driving Ms Daisy....Could not keep it up, no point in buying it if you did even so though its doing 34mpg even with some spirited driving.

Indeed right off it, driving like driving Ms Daisy....Could not keep it up, no point in buying it if you did even so though its doing 34mpg even with some spirited driving.
Yeah it's not worth it really! Smiles per gallon is what you bought it for!
Really good on fuel compared to mine, a spirited drive will see mid-low 20's.

Just bought 2010 Skoda Octavia first time buying second hand car first time I have bought something that's not a Ford hope it all works out ....

1998 1.3 Toyota Corolla, 3dr basic model, one owner 83k on the clock and doesn't owe us a penny.

Last edited:
My first car was a 1969 MKII Morris Mini 1000 Super Deluxe which we spent a year restoring and I still have tucked away in the garage

PICT2656 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

The first and only new car I brought was my 1999 Rover Mini with Downton Sport Touring conversion which I still have (can you see a pattern here)

PICT2667 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

We had a couple of MKV Golfs as everyday motors until 2 years ago when we chopped it in for a (cue the haters telling me I'm a traitor to the Mini name;)) 2012 MINI Countryman Cooper SD All4 which is quite simply the best modern car we have had I love it and would have another without hesitation.

120 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

MUCH rather have a '59...

Don't worry, I use a 59 Cooper D every now and then. Can't turn down the 70mpg on a long run!

Oh I don't worry about it I normally just laugh at them.

Wish I could get 70 mpg out of ours mind you it is the SD and a fairly big car (good fun on the twisty stuff though and kept a couple of classics very honest on a run down the A897 on the way back form John O'Groats!)

Anything rather than an FWD BMW!

I wish I still had this TBH, they are worth a few quid these days, library picture but same colour.
You could get away with straight through exhausts then,
those were the days, men were men & power steering, heaters etc were for wimps :D

L-Triumph-TR2-2.jpg

Back