What car do you drive?

I wish I still had this TBH, they are worth a few quid these days, library picture but same colour.
You could get away with straight through exhausts then,
those were the days, men were men & power steering, heaters etc were for wimps :D

L-Triumph-TR2-2.jpg

Very nice sadly they don't build cars like this anymore most of them are boring copies of each other.

Talking of a real mans car what about this (not mine but dads so close enough) wasn't quite finished in this picture. 1938 Jaguar SS100 35 Ltr

DSC00209-1.JPG

I wish I still had this TBH, they are worth a few quid these days, library picture but same colour.
You could get away with straight through exhausts then,
those were the days, men were men & power steering, heaters etc were for wimps :D

L-Triumph-TR2-2.jpg

Tyres that skinny, why would you need power steering.

A real man's car! Would love to have Mum's that she had in the '60s when you couldn't give them away!

Tyres that skinny, why would you need power steering.
That 2L Massey Ferguson lump was a bit nose heavy, it was great while it was moving but parking was fun, that's why it had a steering wheel the size of a tractors too :D

when you couldn't give them away!
Very early 70's when I had mine, but cars had no real value and anything that was a few years old was classed as a banger,
sold it for about £50 IIRC

I was talking about the SS! In the '50s and '60s, vintage cars were worth about 1/4 of sod all (with a few exceptions) and even things like C/D types, 250 GTOs were simply out of date racing cars so all but worthless. Even things like pre-war Bentleys were just looked on as old bangers. Oh, to have a time machine and go back to those times with a couple of grand in my pocket and what we know now!

I was talking about the SS! In the '50s and '60s, vintage cars were worth about 1/4 of sod all
Yeah but we agreed on the principle anyway :p

Nice, what's the spec?

Mine? its a 3 series 320d SE (so 2 litre diesel) and it's not too new :) .. but bought for cash (and traded in my older bmw that was getting rusty and falling apart haha) and I can honestly say photography paid for every penny of it... got it a bit cheaper as a lot of road chips on bonnet (below average milage though ) which cost me 220 quid to have sorted at pro body shop... Had it three weeks and been to wycombe and wimbledon for football.. then canon shop at elstree.. all 400+ mile round trips and all perfect drive and very economical.. well pleased with it :) 80 quid to have plates changed over...

Its a rare colour.. listed as gold.. i went on a really bright sunny day to view as it looked good in avdert but gold? got there and looks more brown/bronze... loved the colour :)

Last edited:
Don't want to sound like a grim reaper here but watch out for the cam chain failure which is VERY common on the 2 litre diesels.

Don't want to sound like a grim reaper here but watch out for the cam chain failure which is VERY common on the 2 litre diesels.

This engine has a maintenance-free timing chain; there is no timing belt.

I know it has a chain Google BMW timing chain with N47 engine

Last edited:
I cant honestly remeber what my mechanics exact words where.. will ask him next week if your still not convinced :)

Ask Watchdog :)

The 2 litre BMW diesel engines with the N47 are renowned for snapping timing chains and not a case of "if" but when.

Depending on mileage you can usually hear the timing chain a little noisy its called the death rattle on all the BMW forums.

What year is your car ? I'm hoping you don't say between 2006-2012 if so it's going to be an expensive repair. the engine has to come out the car for the chain to be replaced as it sits at the bulkhead side at the back of the engine.

Again don't want to sound like a grim reaper mate just pre warning you as a fellow BMW owner.

Have a look if yours is effected.

http://prestige-german-engines.co.uk/engine-issues/bmw-timing-chain-failure/

Last edited:
Fancied something that was fun to drive. Makes a nice subject as well. uploadfromtaptalk1464392234917.jpg

I have 2013 520d msport touring auto in carbon black (blue) with leather and anthracite interior.... A little on the large side but brilliant in the back and great load space. Great economy and gearbox, it's got flappies but I must admit I hardly use them. Idrive is a great system as well. Still got the n47 engine but (hopefully) late enough not to be a problem. Sorry for all the greats but it just is..... :)

Hi Gez yours is NOT effected mate.

Must admit it took ages to find and saw some really lovely and much cheaper but earlier ones... Just didn't want to risk it

Took me 8 months to find mine and 5 months to sell it again now on the look out for either a 640D or 435D X-Drive.

I remember finding the prestige site and thinking about factoring in the £2500 in case I found one I couldn't resist
:)

Reason I went for the 5 instead of the 3 (apart from the space) was the interior finish, I just thought it was a totally different quality.

I find the interior of the 3 series not the best when compared to the 5. Too.much is below your eyeline and blocked from view and I don't like the screen position, looks like an afterthought. The 5 series looks far more put together and better laid out. Not enough cubby holes either.

I'll give you a hint. It has a 'ludicrous speed' button on the glass cockpit center panel and if pressed and held it shows stars streaking by, like jumping to light speed.

1/2 tempted by one of those, GT but the closest dealer is too far away to be convenient. Not sure if I could get my clubs and trolley in the boot either.

Classic car show down porthkerry caravan park for anyone in south Wales.

He never mentioned `belt` :confused:

is there something wrong with you? you even quoted it? C H A I N
oh hang on.. he never mentioned "maintenance" either and I did?

how picky can people get?

@ Kipax Did you ask your mechanic about the timing chain issues on the 2.0ltr BMW N47 engine which I presume yours has?

1/2 tempted by one of those, GT but the closest dealer is too far away to be convenient. Not sure if I could get my clubs and trolley in the boot either.
I also have the original roadster and I know they won't fit in that. :)

The S has drop rear seats so they'd probably go in. My current car has a big enough boot for me to get a full sized bag full of clubs in with an electric trolley beside them. It's a saloon as well. The estate version has the same sized boot but with extra headroom if required.

:plus1:

Even if I didn't like the one I had many years ago!

Back