What car do you drive?

Strange, as the base on the JCW seats extends to cater for strangely tall people like you :)

I have to say, my previous JCW had Rocarro's and they were more comfortable. I think I'll be heading towards the JCW Clubman when it arrives, we could do with just that extra bit of space but love the brand.
Imagine how comfortable you'd have found Recaro seats instead of a knock off. ;)

Strange, as the base on the JCW seats extends to cater for strangely tall people like you :)
That is the thing, I'm not even tall. But yes didn't look into an option for recaro seats. That could be quite nice actually :)

The new clubman is an brilliant car had on for a day when our Countryman went in for MOT and service. I'm also tempted by the JCW in the future. I've also read that the new Countryman will be based on the same platform and be built at Plant Oxford I would hope it would have the same level of finish as the new Clubman.

My JCW was in for some warranty work a couple of weeks ago and I had a Clubman Cooper for 5 days. Very competent car, and that 3 pot 1.5L Turbo is a nice engine, but I did miss the 230bhp of my JCW. The JCW cClubbie is 4WD, with the same engine as mine, heavier, but more grip, and a bit more space. Add a chip to 265BHP and it will be magic...

My JCW was in for some warranty work a couple of weeks ago and I had a Clubman Cooper for 5 days. Very competent car, and that 3 pot 1.5L Turbo is a nice engine, but I did miss the 230bhp of my JCW. The JCW cClubbie is 4WD, with the same engine as mine, heavier, but more grip, and a bit more space. Add a chip to 265BHP and it will be magic...

There are rumours of 300bhp!!! Oh now I hope they are true!

There are rumours of 300bhp!!! Oh now I hope they are true!

Can't see them doing that and not on the most popular 3 door model. The car does exist, I actually saw a couple being built at the Oxford plant a couple of months ago.

I've finally made a decision, and today I've place an order for a Mercedes GLC43 AMG. As FastnLoud would call it in triple black :)

Should be ready and built in a couple of months. Will get the buIld date by Wednesday. I'll miss our outgoing GL but it is good to down size.

but it is good to down size.

Well done that man for thinking about the planet. :clap: :D

I bet it'll sound glorious :cool:

One of our neighbour's sons, a youngish lad (very early 20's) has a Mercedes A45 AMG which sounds decent enough.

15q2lug.jpg

We also have a neighbour with a Harley. Nice & quiet where I live. :LOL:

Last edited:
Was on the motorway today and saw a 2016 320d gunning it, was surprisingly fast! Was one of the things that put me off my MPS6, a lot of the modern diesels could match or beat its performance (when stock) but at twice the economy.

Well done that man for thinking about the planet. :clap: :D

I bet it'll sound glorious :cool:

One of our neighbour's sons, a youngish lad (very early 20's) has a Mercedes A45 AMG which sounds decent enough.

We also have a neighbour with a Harley. Nice & quiet where I live. :LOL:
LOL although our motives we more like easier to get into a multi storey car park than to save the planet :) And also I think we have had less than 10 journeys in three years that required the seven seats. So in the unlikely event I require that well just hire a seven seater.

The GLC 43 has the new 3.0 twin turbo v6, not as magnificent sounding as the 4.0 V8 in the 63 models. But a heck of a lot better than the 4 cylinder in the A45. It's very pleasant to the ear :) and stated economy not too bad at 36MPG so likely around mid twenties in the real world. Pretty good for such a powerful SUV.

I just could not live with the sensible 2.0 twin turbo four cylinder diesel option. It just didn't feel quick enough, I was doing a Fred Flinstone on the test drive to get it to go a bit more. I had the same sluggish sensation in the Q5 and X3 2.0 diesels.

Last edited:
Been on a road trip to Southern Spain in my old trusty Leon. On Thursday we head up through northern Spain and south of France

IMG_2600.JPG
IMG_2599.JPG

Last edited:
My grandson works for a Toyota main dealer ,a couple of weeks ago he came around raving about a car he was taking in as a p.x ,he turned up with it last night a Volvo S60 se ,2.4 auto totally fully loaded .i had a test drive last night and fell in love with it right away ,so he,s buying it for me today as a xmas pressie .anyone want a cheap mondeo diesel .

My grandson works for a Toyota main dealer ,a couple of weeks ago he came around raving about a car he was taking in as a p.x ,he turned up with it last night a Volvo S60 se ,2.4 auto totally fully loaded .i had a test drive last night and fell in love with it right away ,so he,s buying it for me today as a xmas pressie .anyone want a cheap mondeo diesel .
Nice grandson, must have learned from the best grandfather :)

In the background I see the Torre de Tamarit, just outside Santa Pola.

La Ultima Luz del Día by Ricardo da Force, on Flickr

That's the one! (Great photo BTW) my folks live at La Siesta, just down the road. I had pulled in there to try an photograph flamingos on the lake, but they were being uncooperative and were on the lake further back which you cannot get to.

My brother in law has a first generation S60 2.4 diesel. Had a wee shot a while ago and it was lovely to drive for a big heavy car, very smooth and the sound from that 5 cylinder engine when you give it the beans is nice!

BMW E46 325ci.
Poor MPG as I town drive, maybe 25 at very best.
Straight six engine though so solid as a rock.
Plus...no rust anywhere....which is no mean feat for an E46 :)

I don't have the need for a 20k car which is going to drop in value faster than a whores drawers, would rather pay a few thousand for something which owes me nothing after a few years and I don't need to sell to buy a new one.

Awaiting delivery of new Citroen Grand C4 Picasso (Facelift Model) to replace existing 2 1/2 year Grand C4. :banana:

I drive a '92 Mazda MX5 with an Eaton MP45 Supercharger conversion (along with a full respray,lots of rare parts,Mk2 dash conversion,leather retrim etc). The car is very very marmite and i appreciate its not to everyone's tastes

29797504725_d496b437b1_z.jpg

29711187831_4c99202df1_z.jpg

28204216742_c4db630aa3_z.jpg

23930836159_6442bc4e60_z.jpg

Yup definitely an acquired taste. Not to my liking at all I'm afraid to say. But hey the important part is that you like it.

Last edited:
well the mondeos now departed and i,m the proud owner of a lovely top of the range volvo S60se 2.4 d5 auto , not only has the grandson bought it for me he also put a years m.o.t on it and filled the tank .will take some pics tomoz

well the mondeos now departed and i,m the proud owner of a lovely top of the range volvo S60se 2.4 d5 auto , not only has the grandson bought it for me he also put a years m.o.t on it and filled the tank .will take some pics tomoz

Sounds good! What year is that?

I don't have the need for a 20k car which is going to drop in value faster than a whores drawers, would rather pay a few thousand for something which owes me nothing after a few years and I don't need to sell to buy a new one.
I suppose it all depends on what you want from a car. Some people just want a set of wheels for A to B and not really fussed of what is available for a few grand, some want a particular car which may well cost £20k, it may cost more, but if no-one bought the new ones, the supply of a few grand cars would soon dry up and what would have cost you a few grand will then cost a few grand more.

I suppose it all depends on what you want from a car. Some people just want a set of wheels for A to B and not really fussed of what is available for a few grand, some want a particular car which may well cost £20k, it may cost more, but if no-one bought the new ones, the supply of a few grand cars would soon dry up and what would have cost you a few grand will then cost a few grand more.

True, I think the only way I would spend that much on a car would be if it was one I would love to drive.

I can't imagine enjoying driving a 20k 2L diesel knowing it's relatively unexciting and losing value quickly.

I would prefer to buy something powerful and at least enjoy driving it but it's down to personal preference.

If somebody gave me a 20k German diesel, I would probably sell it, buy a 10k S2000 and save the rest.

I really find it hard to see how these lease schemes are a good idea also, especially the ones with a 4K deposit and still £250 a month. That is mental, £16k over 4 years for a car which you have to give back!

I've never bought a brand new car and probably never will, but I also got tired of getting a used car where everything checks out only to find that the previous owner(s) abused it and hidden problems appear.

I miss working on cars but simply don't have the time anymore. So now I business lease, yes it works out more expensive than buying used but at least I know I'm the only driver, always have manufacturers warranty and I get a brand new car every three years so will always be able to choose what is most suitable for my needs and have the latest tech not just with gadgets but also with things like economy, performance etc.

It's not for everyone, but it suits me.

True, I think the only way I would spend that much on a car would be if it was one I would love to drive.

I can't imagine enjoying driving a 20k 2L diesel knowing it's relatively unexciting and losing value quickly.

I would prefer to buy something powerful and at least enjoy driving it but it's down to personal preference.

If somebody gave me a 20k German diesel, I would probably sell it, buy a 10k S2000 and save the rest.

I really find it hard to see how these lease schemes are a good idea also, especially the ones with a 4K deposit and still £250 a month. That is mental, £16k over 4 years for a car which you have to give back!
It all depends how good the deal is. When I take a look at my Golf R I did my sums, buying it would not have been any cheaper. The lease payments basically covered the depreciation. Very cheap way of driving an absolutely fantastic vehicle.

There's some fairly powerful and fun to drive 2.0 diesels available, if a diesel suited my car use, I certainly wouldn't discount them. My old Mondeo ST TDCi would have been £21k, 9 years ago, as standard it was fun to drive, bigger intercooler, decat, performance exhaust and remapped to 190Bhp, plus Eibach springs, it was even more fun, certainly didn't feel big to drive, Modern diesels are on par if not more powerful.

If someone gave me a £20k diesel, I'd be straight down the Ford dealer with it and my Focus and swap them for an RS or a Mustang. Save me using my own money.(y)

There's some fairly powerful and fun to drive 2.0 diesels available, if a diesel suited my car use, I certainly wouldn't discount them. My old Mondeo ST TDCi would have been £21k, 9 years ago, as standard it was fun to drive, bigger intercooler, decat, performance exhaust and remapped to 190Bhp, plus Eibach springs, it was even more fun, certainly didn't feel big to drive, Modern diesels are on par if not more powerful.

If someone gave me a £20k diesel, I'd be straight down the Ford dealer with it and my Focus and swap them for an RS or a Mustang. Save me using my own money.(y)
Me too :)

Of course the downside to leasing is that it's more difficult to mod the car.

The wife and i are going to go down the lease route next year as im not fussed for owning a car and leasing will give us 3 years of trouble free motoring (to a degree) and fixed monthly payments. Atcthexend of the teem we will just hand the car back and rinse repeat the process.
At 37 i am past the modding stage on modern cars and instead look forward to the day i can drop some cash on an old Rover P6 or SD1 (3.5 litre obviously :D) as a project for me and the lad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course the downside to leasing is that it's more difficult to mod the car.
As long as you put it back to normal then there is no problem. But doesn't it actually totally conflict with your view on costs and depreciation? And if you get the right car there is no need to mod it.

If you are into molding like that car above then I would suggest to never buy new as you'll never resell it other than in a very narrow market.

Nice I like it :)

As long as you put it back to normal then there is no problem. But doesn't it actually totally conflict with your view on costs and depreciation? And if you get the right car there is no need to mod it.

If you are into molding like that car above then I would suggest to never buy new as you'll never resell it other than in a very narrow market.

Totally agree. I'm guessing that unless you go through a manufacturer approved modding route then your warranty will be worthless also?

As much fun as modding can be I often found that unless you are willing to spend serious money then it's better to just a faster stock car and usually less problems also. What with diesels becoming so quick now and the turbocharging of small petrols there is plenty of choice for a pretty quick car.

Well indeed - although I don't get the fascination with diesel. So many people buy a diesel whilst they just don't do the miles to make it a viable proposition. I still find it amazing how quickly things have turned to a diesel loving country whilst it used to be the otherway around. So many efficient and great petrols about that in true cost of ownership are not more expensive.

I quite fancy changing from my 330d to a 340 petrol when renewal comes. Want to stick with 6 cylinder but that seems to be increasingly difficult with BMW.

I have diesels for a few reasons ,first I used to drive them for a living so am used to there ways ,I also tow a caravan so the torque and fuel consumption come in handy ,and I have easy motorway access on my doorstep making life easy

Well indeed - although I don't get the fascination with diesel. So many people buy a diesel whilst they just don't do the miles to make it a viable proposition. I still find it amazing how quickly things have turned to a diesel loving country whilst it used to be the otherway around. So many efficient and great petrols about that in true cost of ownership are not more expensive.
Probably because years ago if you bought a car with a turbo, your insurance was generally quite high. Along came turbo diesels and insurance companies didn't really load them up the same. When turbo diesels started getting direct injection, they developed a lot more torque and a lot more fun to drive. Petrol engines have become more efficient because manufacturers have used a lot of what they learnt from TD's and incorporated it into th epetrol engines. Now it's working back the other way and what they have learnt in modern petrol engine development is transferring back into diesel engines to improve the efficiency and emissions. Back when I had my Mondeo, I could just as easily have had the same car with a 3.0V6 and it would have been returning, 20=25mpg. But I bought a 2.2TDCi, it returned 60mpg, lowest ever average was 54mpg and at 30-50, 50-70 etc. acceleration it would easily out drag the 3.0V6.

Probably because years ago if you bought a car with a turbo, your insurance was generally quite high. Along came turbo diesels and insurance companies didn't really load them up the same. When turbo diesels started getting direct injection, they developed a lot more torque and a lot more fun to drive. Petrol engines have become more efficient because manufacturers have used a lot of what they learnt from TD's and incorporated it into th epetrol engines. Now it's working back the other way and what they have learnt in modern petrol engine development is transferring back into diesel engines to improve the efficiency and emissions. Back when I had my Mondeo, I could just as easily have had the same car with a 3.0V6 and it would have been returning, 20=25mpg. But I bought a 2.2TDCi, it returned 60mpg, lowest ever average was 54mpg and at 30-50, 50-70 etc. acceleration it would easily out drag the 3.0V6.
Sure but if you compare that to a modern petrol like for like than the diesel is heavier, dirtier and noisier.

There is most definitely an excellent purpose to them. But does it make sense for people doing less than 12,000 I don't think so.

There is most definitely an excellent purpose to them. But does it make sense for people doing less than 12,000 I don't think so.

I still think some people in this category buy diesel cars because of the mpg figures not realising that theres more to it than that.

I always liked turbo diesels for the sheer torque on offer when the turbo was spooled up.

Having driven a golf 1.4 TSI and more recently the offerings from the ford ecoboost range i am happy ro be a petrol convert again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back