What did you get for Xmas?

It's not unusual in the US (especially mid and south) to see bumper stickers with "Put Christ back into Christmas".

That's usually more to do with the celebration of commercialmas than abbreviation. Personally I don't see anything offensive with the Xmas (I have no idea whether it's intended to be a chi symbol from ἰχθύς or just a shortening like Rx and Tx for receiver and transmitter) but people love a good conspiracy theory/nit-pick.

That's usually more to do with the celebration of commercialmas than abbreviation. Personally I don't see anything offensive with the Xmas (I have no idea whether it's intended to be a chi symbol from ἰχθύς or just a shortening like Rx and Tx for receiver and transmitter) but people love a good conspiracy theory/nit-pick.
I agree. Sounds like a load of b0ll0X to me :D

Last edited:
What's the difference for you between Xmas and Christmas (other than spelling)?

same thing as alcohol-free whiskey. One doesn't make any sense at all.

What's the difference for you between Xmas and Christmas (other than spelling)?
Xmas is an abbreviation.
As ancient mariner said, it's the first Greek letter (chi / χ) of the word Khristos (anointed one) and it's use (sometimes together with the second letter (rho / ρ) dates back to the 14th Century.
The problem seems to arise when it's read as the Latin letter x which is often used as a shorthand for cancellation or negation.

FWIW, for me they are two distinctly different, but very real things.

Christmas is the celebration of the Mass of Christ.

Xmas is buying stuff and eating stuff you wouldn't normally eat.

Nothing wrong with either.

Edit.

Agree with Tori.

I should have said, have become.

Last edited:
Xmas is an abbreviation.
As ancient mariner said, it's the first Greek letter (chi / χ) of the word Khristos (anointed one) and it's use (sometimes together with the second letter (rho / ρ) dates back to the 14th Century.
The problem seems to arise when it's read as the Latin letter x which is often used as a shorthand for cancellation or negation.
This is not the answer I was looking for. I thought I had been specific in my question.

Xmas is an abbreviation.
In other words, it's been used for centuries, until some t*** decides to overthink the difference. No surprises there then.

And the difference between whiskey and whisky?

As long as, you all had a great time ;)

Lucky boy here, 27" 5k iMac with my own spec.

4 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M390 2048 MB

Specifically left it at 8GB memory as ill upgrade to 32/64GB on my own.

And loads of socks.

Lucky boy here, 27" 5k iMac with my own spec.

4 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M390 2048 MB

Specifically left it at 8GB memory as ill upgrade to 32/64GB on my own.

And loads of socks.
Cor what :puke:

The socks sound good!

And the difference between whiskey and whisky?

Whiskey has an 'e' in it...:D

AFAIK, whiskey is from Ireland and whisky is Scottish. The different spelling has something to do with the translations from Irish and Scots Gaelic.

AFAIK, whiskey is from Ireland and whisky is Scottish. The different spelling has something to do with the translations from Irish and Scots Gaelic.

Exactly.
And neither were invented by the Scots nor the Irish :)

A simple question turns into a bun fight on TP shocker!
Kinda reminds me of this ;)

dfd.jpg

I only got one photography related present which was the LPOTY book which I've only had a brief look through but there some excellent photographs in there.

Got a bit of money as well & very tempted to invest in a sonos sub

I use Xmas when I can't fit Christmas onto whatever I'm writing. I've never heard "Merry Xmas" being spoken out loud?

I remember when authorities pushed the asinine use of Winterfest though.

Mrs Stupar and I did the conventional stockings for each other (limited to £50) and full of small items like sweets, smelly stuff and socks. We've been doing this since our first born.
The real enjoyement for us this year was watching our 5 year old and 1 year old enjoy what Santa had brought them.

I've for a long time prefered some Irish brands (the decent aged ones) to some Scottish malts, however there's some good whiskys from strange shores now
Nikka Japanese whisky is really worth a look. A surprising source until you read the history of the company
http://www.nikka.com/eng/

A recent favourite has become welsh whisky, from the Pendryn distillery. Well worth a visit to their visitors centre
http://www.welsh-whisky.co.uk/

From Wikipedia:
The spelling whiskey is common in Ireland and the United States, while whisky is used in all other whisky producing countries.[5] In the US, the usage has not always been consistent. From the late eighteenth century to the mid twentieth century, American writers used both spellings interchangeably until the introduction of newspaper style guides. Since the 1960s, American writers have increasingly used whiskey as the accepted spelling for aged grain spirits made in the US and whisky for aged grain spirits made outside the US. However, some prominent American brands, such as George Dickel, Maker's Mark, and Old Forester (all made by different companies), use the whisky spelling on their labels, and the Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits, the legal regulations for spirit in the US, also use the whisky spelling throughout.

Personally I like both Scotch and Irish whiskies, but prefer them to be smoother and floral, rather than peaty and carbolic-tasting.

I've for a long time prefered some Irish brands (the decent aged ones) to some Scottish malts, however there's some good whiskys from strange shores now
Nikka Japanese whisky is really worth a look. A surprising source until you read the history of the company
http://www.nikka.com/eng/

A recent favourite has become welsh whisky, from the Pendryn distillery. Well worth a visit to their visitors centre
http://www.welsh-whisky.co.uk/
All alcohol should be banned until I am allowed to drink it again

That said.... if shooting at the Giants Causeway, the Bushmills Distillery is worth a visit.. [emoji4]

Best wishes to all for 2017.

All alcohol should be banned until I am allowed to drink it again

That said.... if shooting at the Giants Causeway, the Bushmills Distillery is worth a visit.. [emoji4]

Best wishes to all for 2017.

As an unselfish gesture, I'll drink your share...

Back