What did you get for Xmas?

I bought myself a x-t1 at the start of the month. Good job too I didn't get much today.

I also got one of those vaping things from my youngest, pleasantly puffing on vanilla ice cream, hope it works getting off the cigs.

I got one in may! I had one cigarette in August when battery ran out at a wedding and uncle was smoking ......... but only the once

Gin mostly... A lot of gin.

Still more to come tomorrow, not many 'photography' presents expected - I did buy myself a Lencarta collapsible BD on Black Friday though.

Between my wife and my 2 grown up daughters they got me-
Bremont Watch
3 pairs of denims, t shift--armani
Sigma 1.4tc
B&W XS circular polariser
150mm filter pouch(Terrascapes)
BPOTY 2016 bird photo book
Sweets
2 night hotel stay at Glencoe
a lens step up ring
Abercrombie & Fitch aftershave
a true crime book
boxer shorts, socks ,pj"s etc etc

As you can tell i was a good boy all year...lol...

Last edited:
I got a bottle of aftershave and a jumper. She got an ipad air 2, a cool valve amplified hifi system and in two weeks a new car. Nothing quite like a hefty wedge of equality!

You mean why not?:p
The thread was specifically asking what you got.
No, it doesn't
It asks if anyone got anything good.
My answer to that was yes. :p:p

I got a Garmin Fenix3 watch and a radio controlled helicopter from myself from my bonus. A dab radio from the wife and yet another Guy Martin book from the kids. A shirt I might actually wear from my mother. A pizza slicer and blow torch from the MIL. A random set or garden candle lights from an aunt, A few cheques a coldplay cd and my first ever Rolling Stones album.

I. O. Shen knives, luvvly (y)

I believe for some Xmas is crossing Christ out of Christmas.
Its never occurred to me that there was a difference, and most things I've read have indicated that it's a myth, and the X is a Greek symbol for Christ, and a lot of people use Xmas as it's easier to write.
It shouldn't surprise me though that some would take it as something negative towards Christ.

Last edited:
Yeah theres so many thoughts about the X and the fish symbol etc. It's not unusual in the US (especially mid and south) to see bumper stickers with "Put Christ back into Christmas".

Rights or wrongs, I don't know. I remember getting a stern talking to from an old lady on the subject once :)

Last edited:
A week before Christmas I had to cancel going away to my family who live far away and was not looking forward to Christmas at all. The most amazing presents I had was from friends who invited me into their homes to share their Christmas. I didn't realise I had so many friends:) One nephew who was quick to send his pressy to me gave me a book Digital photography Month by Month, so I'm ready for the 52's and 365's. Shame he had to pay £5 postage, paying extra because of the strike.

No, it doesn't
It asks if anyone got anything good.
My answer to that was yes. :p:p

The title says WHAT DID YOU GET FOR XMAS ?
But I'm not that interested, my family were happy and that's as much as l care about :)

I got 2 days off work...

and used them to log in on here and catch up with what I've missed since re-starting a "day job"...

can't drink or do any excess food stuff, as I've got a trip to the Hospital on wednesday for the 6-monthly post cardio-op checkup, which this time is going to be full fasted bloodwork, followed by a cardio stress test (basically, they stick me on a treadmill, wire me up to monitor BP, HR, ECG, Respiratory Gasses etc, and make me walk/run pretty much until I fall over. Then repeat the process on a exercise bike (ergometer). Idea is to give me a "safe" HR Maximum that I can use to monitor myself while out riding my bike...

If I pass muster, I'll probably have about a hour in the recovery room, while they analyse the printouts, followed by a half-hour chat with the cardiologist, and possibly a recommendation to reduce the levels of some of the meds I'm on... Getting the OK from that, and reducing the level of one or two of the tablets would probably be the best christmas present i've had in the past decade... If, however, like last time they push me a bit harder than ideal, I could end up with a "night in" wired up to the ECG again. That'd be more like the "piece of coal in the sock"...

The title says WHAT DID YOU GET FOR XMAS ?
But I'm not that interested, my family were happy and that's as much as l care about :)

The opening post asks a different question. :):p

I got 2 days off work...

and used them to log in on here and catch up with what I've missed since re-starting a "day job"...

can't drink or do any excess food stuff, as I've got a trip to the Hospital on wednesday for the 6-monthly post cardio-op checkup, which this time is going to be full fasted bloodwork, followed by a cardio stress test (basically, they stick me on a treadmill, wire me up to monitor BP, HR, ECG, Respiratory Gasses etc, and make me walk/run pretty much until I fall over. Then repeat the process on a exercise bike (ergometer). Idea is to give me a "safe" HR Maximum that I can use to monitor myself while out riding my bike...

If I pass muster, I'll probably have about a hour in the recovery room, while they analyse the printouts, followed by a half-hour chat with the cardiologist, and possibly a recommendation to reduce the levels of some of the meds I'm on... Getting the OK from that, and reducing the level of one or two of the tablets would probably be the best christmas present i've had in the past decade... If, however, like last time they push me a bit harder than ideal, I could end up with a "night in" wired up to the ECG again. That'd be more like the "piece of coal in the sock"...

Here's hoping it's the former!
Now, where's that " fingers crossed" emoticon?! :)

I got 2 days off work...

Take it easy, put your feet and don't worry about it, poor you.:(

Here's hoping it's the former!

It's the most likely outcome, the "overdoing it" bit on the test is probably down to having done so many "max-tests" in the past whilst in training for cycle racing etc. - you sort of get hard wired to "know how to just ignore the pain signals" - so when they ask you how tough is it on a scale from 1-10, you're always a couple of digits lower on the scale than "civilians"...

Take it easy, put your feet and don't worry about it, poor you.

No poor me about it, they got in there and fixed it 16 months or so ago, made a great job of it, and they're committed to getting me back properly fit, not just "not going to have another issue in a couple of years"... I'm lucky, really lucky. I'm still above ground - compared to the alternative, missing a few drinks and overeating for some random day of the year is a tiny, tiny sacrifice.

nothing photography related this year
my wife allowed me to update my cd player which is now over 20 years old so i settled on one of these :)

Cambridge Audio Azur 851C Upsampling CD Player DAC Digital Pre-Amp
851C_Gallery__0001_Layer_15.jpg

don't pick it up until wednesday, cant wait :)

Last edited:
Peace and quiet, then fun and noise and then pesce and quiet.... the noise of the grand kids made it worthwhile!

My lot got me a D5oo and a 16-80mm lens to go with it so cant complain.

Back