What Was Your Best Christmas Present?

Or a Suzuki!

Don't really get big gifts anymore what with being an adult. But I guess the few bottles of whisky were nice.

Reactions: RIR
I hope you haven't already disposed of a "few bottles" and that they'll continue to be nice for a short while at least!!! ;)

Well as it's also my Birthday, I got a nice new radio for the shack, and my son got me the programming software kit, and the Bluetooth module, so I can use it hands free in the car...

I hope you haven't already disposed of a "few bottles" and that they'll continue to be nice for a short while at least!!! ;)
I've probably had the equivalent of a full bottle but opened a few. Mostly Islay malts, and a rum.

Don't really get big gifts anymore what with being an adult. But I guess the few bottles of whisky were nice.

You don't have to be a kid to get nice presents ;) I'm a big kid, I love opening gifts and the pricier the better :D

I just Googled that. It looks very cool. But not as cool as when I thought you got a sword.

Ha, I did too expecting to see a sword, still looks pretty cool if you're a guitarist

You don't have to be a kid to get nice presents ;) I'm a big kid, I love opening gifts and the pricier the better :D

Ha, I did too expecting to see a sword, still looks pretty cool if you're a guitarist
Anything i want I buy myself. If I haven't bought it myself I don't really want it.

Just get the wife something like a book or two and some wine.
She usually gets me some PSN vouchers or a bottle of whiskey.

Anything i want I buy myself. If I haven't bought it myself I don't really want it.

Just get the wife something like a book or two and some wine.
She usually gets me some PSN vouchers or a bottle of whiskey.

Everyone's different, I love giving gifts, [receiving them is just a bonus] I drop some hints around November and hope for the best :D

I got my partner a bunch of nice things, she's been ill for a long time so I feel she deserves something to brighten her up. We had great fun opening gifts with our girls.

That's sad :(
Why? It's what I ask people to do, I also ask people not to send me cards, zero interest in bits of card.
Got myself a PS5 in October, a Sony A7C last year. Why would I want other people to guess what I want and potentially get me things I don't want.

Why? It's what I ask people to do, I also ask people not to send me cards, zero interest in bits of card.
Got myself a PS5 in October, a Sony A7C last year. Why would I want other people to guess what I want and potentially get me things I don't want.

But if your kids or wife bought you that ps5 game you were so-so about you'd not mind eh? or a new lens you weren't too pushed on. This is the point, it's stuff we might not buy for ourselves. I wanted to upgrade my PC monitor [was using an old 22" HDTV for the past 2 year] but I couldn't find it in myself to justify the expense for what I wanted - the family caught wind of this over time and now I have a curved 27" 1440p high refresh rate monitor and I love it! they added in speakers to boot, so they did a bit of research. Without their generosity I'd probably still be pondering on it for the next year.

It's a difficult one. Im a bit like this about pressies these days, bit like me dad. He never liked cards and nor do I, it's not that I don't like them, I just don't see the point. also, wrapping paper? Im more than happy with the bag / box the present came in.

Essentially though, there are some things I have received from the wife (new apple watch 7) which I would NEVER have bought myself, but as an actual present, I do like it.

I bought my wife two tickets for the New Year performance of Handel's Messiah at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh. Of course, it's now been postponed until April because of Covid ... whatever. I'll either go with her then, or she can take a friend.

She gave me an EDC flashlight that runs on a 14500 lithium or AA battery, which is handy. All good.

But if your kids or wife bought you that ps5 game you were so-so about you'd not mind eh? or a new lens you weren't too pushed on. This is the point, it's stuff we might not buy for ourselves. I wanted to upgrade my PC monitor [was using an old 22" HDTV for the past 2 year] but I couldn't find it in myself to justify the expense for what I wanted - the family caught wind of this over time and now I have a curved 27" 1440p high refresh rate monitor and I love it! they added in speakers to boot, so they did a bit of research. Without their generosity I'd probably still be pondering on it for the next year.
Using what you said if my wife bought me a monitor it would almost certainly not be the exact one I'd want so it would get sent back.
Like I said if I want something I get it, if I don't and I'm still thinking about it, it's for a reason.
If they got me a PS5 game I for some reason don't have it's because I'm either not interested in it, or im waiting for the price to drop in which case is send it back and wait.

What monitor did you get by the way, I recently got a 27" 1440p 165hz monitor Gigabyte AORUS FI27Q.

Using what you said if my wife bought me a monitor it would almost certainly not be the exact one I'd want so it would get sent back.
Like I said if I want something I get it, if I don't and I'm still thinking about it, it's for a reason.
If they got me a PS5 game I for some reason don't have it's because I'm either not interested in it, or im waiting for the price to drop in which case is send it back and wait.

What monitor did you get by the way, I recently got a 27" 1440p 165hz monitor Gigabyte AORUS FI27Q.

But thing is, like I say people are different. I wouldn't have bought one, I was already humming and hawing for over a year. Maybe I already felt guilty for buying myself a new pc during lockdown

It's the MSI Optix curved G27CQ4 1440p 165hz, not the best out there but certainly miles better than what I had

Well seeing as apart from the cameras I hate Sony, I'll never own a PS5, most Sony zealots are toxic morons who go out of their way to bash anything that isn't made by their precious Sony.
What's this got to do with your best Christmas present?
Just looks like you are definitely trolling this time...... :(
And you obviously don't see the irony in your post....

Last edited:
Well seeing as apart from the cameras I hate Sony, I'll never own a PS5, most Sony zealots are toxic morons who go out of their way to bash anything that isn't made by their precious Sony.
Wrong thread maybe?
Bit of an ironic post though.

Last edited:
You are skating on this ice again, you were warned by another admin for posting similar, recently.
Last warning. The next step is gardening leave.

Hmm! 'best' is oh so difficult to feedback on/about :thinking:

I tend to find it easier to be inspired buying for others. As, in common with (some) other posters i have learned that in the main, hobby & interest specific stuff I drop hints about rarely materialise (unless I nudge;) ) . So in the main I buy my 'presents to myself' e.g. Olympus kit.

.......but I always welcome shirts.

PS now on a fixed income I found myself reeling in my outgoings for Xmas........ thankfully I bought the OH all her tech whilst I was still working ;). Actually I think I gave her some better tech than I own myself :D :LOL:

The next step is gardening leave.

oohh we haven't used that one in a while... or is that a new present for the Staff - a new banhammer setting ??

I know there's the normal "naughty step" - 1-3 days off

and of course there's the "Aerosmith" - Permanent Vacation...

so presumably Gardening leave (based on when I got it from one of my jobs BITD is "3 months sitting around twiddling your thumbs while management decide what if anything to do..." (by which time I'd had a new job for 10 weeks....)

While visiting mum for Christmas we got talking about phones and how the apps were starting to become unsupported on our older iPhones. Mentioned that the current replacement for mine was over a grand now. Couple of days later got a message from her telling me to check my bank account and get my new phone whenever I’m ready!! My mum’s ace!!
That would have been the best present up until about an hour ago when I found out my sister’s back home safe after having to spend New Year in hospital.......

This lot came into my posession over Birthmas (Birthday is 22nd Dec).

Whisky%20Christmas%202021-X2.jpg

Balvennie Doublewood is one of my favourites, followed by Jura....

yes the Doublewoods a nice one, the 18 year old is even better, but my goto I always come back to is the Laphroaig 10 yo, not the select, that's too sweet. Also have a quarter cask Laphroaig on the go which is nice, but still not as good as the 10yo.

Two bottles of Highland Park Viking Scars, a Glen Marnoch, a Jamesons, Aramis, CK One, and an original newspaper from my date of birth.....

Back