What's Up With The Kingfishers?

Bloody Nature!

Dale , 'erm don't know how to put this .........................................we really need a bloody story now lots of words lots of piccies..

WOW and fledging ain't enough.

357 hours pah.......I have waited maybe 4 or 5 years for all this in your posts bud :runaway: :ROFLMAO:

Ahh buddy so thrilled forgive me pulliing ya leg,

Rock 'n' roll I can read the sheer joy in your post Dale .........

stu

'Get in!'
Your patience is rewarded.

Thanks Paul.

Dale , 'erm don't know how to put this .........................................we really need a bloody story now lots of words lots of piccies..

WOW and fledging ain't enough.

357 hours pah.......I have waited maybe 4 or 5 years for all this in your posts bud :runaway: :ROFLMAO:

Ahh buddy so thrilled forgive me pulliing ya leg,

Rock 'n' roll I can read the sheer joy in your post Dale .........

stu

Thanks Stu......... yes, I'm happy. :banana:

Last night's 'story' in the pics thread Stu.

I think they have moved to Cardiff
Lots of pics on facebook pages, and one flew past me on Sunday
:)

Thanks Paul.

Thanks Stu......... yes, I'm happy. :banana:

Last night's 'story' in the pics thread Stu.
When I was young we were kind to old folks Dale

ok I'll find it on my own:p

This one was just teasing me yesterday, it was looking out over the river for a good 10 minutes, my perch was beckoning and I was sure it would fly over. Something startled it though (see below) and it flew past me, downriver. I could hear it and another bird, about 50 metres behind me, at a guess.

To be fair, there was close to a full on rave happening close by, the same mob that I had a run in with last week. Most of them were the worse for wear on Bucky and 10/80, the staple diet of these sorts in these parts. The mob had no idea I was there but I could hear it kicking off and I started feeling uncomfortable, so I packed up and left.

I am pushing my luck a little sitting where I do for these birds, it's closer to civilisation than I'd like it to be.

At least there are Kingfishers about now, I also saw a few squabbles yesterday, that could be the parents driving the young away so they can get on with another brood. There is still time.

IMGL1620 tp.jpg

6 hours sat at the river today, couldn't get comfy at all and struggled to settle. First time in 2 weeks, apart from a couple of walks in the meantime.

Still, 6 encounters, one super close one but no images.

No sign of the fledglings though but I was further downriver as on a Sunday, it can get a bit peopley up river. I have a feeling that the adults are attempting another brood.

We went for a shortish walk along the Tiverton canal yesterday. Last time we did the same walk, we saw 3 different Kingies but yesterday, not one! Of course, last time was late December when there was zero water traffic and few walkers unlike yesterday when there were loads on and beside the water!

We went for a shortish walk along the Tiverton canal yesterday. Last time we did the same walk, we saw 3 different Kingies but yesterday, not one! Of course, last time was late December when there was zero water traffic and few walkers unlike yesterday when there were loads on and beside the water!

I know a local guy who rings young birds and I got chatting to him on Saturday, he too is saying numbers are down across the board with most species.

He has only seen one Kingfisher this year so far.

Yeah they seem really rare this year. Managed just a handful of photos myself this year after tracking a pair for over a month at a local reserve to work out where they where fishing primarily based on the water level and reed growth at the time.

DSC05557.jpeg

First attempt once figuring out where the nest was. This was the closest perch to it.

DSC08912.jpeg

The shot that took a month of prep to finally get. Lots of luck involved though regardless of any craft!

Easily the most addictive bird species to hunt for “the shot” with. Very sad to see them in such a decline. My area has been relatively untouched so far with bird flu but just north of me has decimated a lot of species.

Yeah they seem really rare this year. Managed just a handful of photos myself this year after tracking a pair for over a month at a local reserve to work out where they where fishing primarily based on the water level and reed growth at the time.

View attachment 398428

First attempt once figuring out where the nest was. This was the closest perch to it.

View attachment 398427

The shot that took a month of prep to finally get. Lots of luck involved though regardless of any craft!

Easily the most addictive bird species to hunt for “the shot” with. Very sad to see them in such a decline. My area has been relatively untouched so far with bird flu but just north of me has decimated a lot of species.

Sweet.

That second one, looks like it has speared the fish?

:runaway:

I'm not sure if that's just channels from the root system or if something has been climbing.

IMGL1677 tp.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like somethings climbing, looks similar to the Deer tracks I see crossing ditches?

(I'm only using my phone)

edit

I think this is a foot print? Otter or the Other one :(

Could a dog have been in from the otherside?

IMGL1677 tp.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like somethings climbing, looks similar to the Deer tracks I see crossing ditches?

(I'm only using my phone)

edit

I think this is a foot print?

View attachment 398591

Thanks Gav.

There are Roe on the river, I see them a lot, Reds have been rumoured too. I saw a female a few weeks ago, too big for a Roe but at a distance, so I couldn't be sure, possibly a Red.

That's about a 12 foot banking from the water surface to the top, depending on how much rain we've had. I have seen it completely submerged and topping over although not since earlier in the year. These marks look quite fresh and run top to bottom of the banking. It does look like a larger mammal, doesn't it?

My first thoughts were mink, or possibly Otter but now you mention it. I see Otter occasionally too.

I wonder, would a Roe be capable of climbing a 10-12 foot, almost sheer banking?

This is usually a nest site, the KFs were there in April, but a week later, had left. Exactly the same last year, after several years prior of succesful nesting there.

I don't know much about Roe or their climbing but if there's 12 foot to clear, I'd imagine there would be far more damage to the side.

Can you get to the top to look for prints?

Otters here leave similar marks and leave a 'belly' groove at the top edge of the bank.

Can you get to the top to look for prints?

Yup, it's the other side of the river, so a bit of a walk (around) but I'm on that side 2 or 3 times a month. I will have a look next time.

Hope it's nothing to worry about :)

Unfortunatley, already too late for this site, it's been vacant since mid April. Seeing the scrapes though got me thinking was it a clue as to what might've happened.

It's been a tough one this year, mainly for the Kingfishers but I've had my moments too. I've asked myself why I do it at times. Today, with a week to go under licence, I was reminded why.

A male fledgling today, on what I feel is it's first day out of the nest. He's static for a lot of the vid but it's worth a watch. Taken under a Schedule 1 licence issued by NatureScot.

View: https://youtu.be/fhc2HfNyQpI

Last edited:
With under a week to go under licence for this year, I will post this one.

I'd promised myself to try and get more habitat shots this year but opportunities, as earlier in this thread have been few and far between. This thread wasn't about images and this shot isn't quite what I'd intended but a nice way to leave it, with something a bit different from yesterday.

(image taken under a Schedule 1 licence issued by NatuireScot).

IMGC2762-150mm tp.jpg

Last edited:
With under a week to go under licence for this year, I will post this one.

I'd promised myself to try and get more habitat shots this year but opportunities, as earlier in this thread have been few and far between. This thread wasn't about images and this shot isn't quite what I'd intended but a nice way to leave it, with something a bit different from yesterday.

View attachment 402096
I like that, ‘in your face’ isn’t always the best. (y)

And poooof, just like that, this year is done, my licence expires tonight at midnight. My return is done, signed and ready to go.

It's been a mixed year, as mentioned here many times, the Kingfishers have had a tough one this year but there have been at least 4 fledglings that I've seen over the year. I've also seen them fail a few times but they've hung in there. They pushed it right to the limit, with a fledging just last week on the 23rd September.

I'm hoping to go to the sites tomorrow, just to see what is what and if the fledglings are still about from last week.

I'm not going to lie, I've questioned why I do this many times this year, without going into details, it has been difficult, for a few different reasons.

Will I do it again for a 4th year? Hell yeah, try and stop me.

:love:

IMGC2783 tp.jpg

:wave:

Last edited:
I spoke to a guy yesterday who does ringing and checks on the Kingfishers in my area and he said it’s one of the worst years on record for them. Usual areas are devoid, he also said it’s been a tough year for the Barn Owl.

I spoke to a guy yesterday who does ringing and checks on the Kingfishers in my area and he said it’s one of the worst years on record for them. Usual areas are devoid, he also said it’s been a tough year for the Barn Owl.

Sadly, I'd have to agree with that. :(

I've only seen 1 flash this year, normal river was empty on several visits. Nothing on the local fishing lakes either from what I could tell (next too river).

Thank you for sharing your passion, the highs'n'lows and the images Dale (y)

I've only seen 1 flash this year, normal river was empty on several visits. Nothing on the local fishing lakes either from what I could tell (next too river).

Thank you for sharing your passion, the highs'n'lows and the images Dale (y)

Cheers Gav.

The water level has dropped alarmingly again this year and my birds have almost completely utilised the food source from my lake and will shortly be moving on to another site for food. Over the autumn & winter, they will make rare visits to check their territory, but I look forward to next summer, when they will return to nest and hopefully raise some more youngsters.

I have been photographing them on my lake for the past 5 years now and will certainly miss the daily visits to my hide, which has given me some fantastic images, as well as just enjoying their company.

Thanks for your hard work Dale, and let's hope that our dedication to these birds, gives us the opportunity to share some more great experiences and images next year.

GHP_6574 by Glynn Hobbs, on Flickr

Dale fascinating stuff this. I am new to the forum and new to nature/bird photography - can you tell me a bit about the licensing stuff that you talk about please?

Dale fascinating stuff this. I am new to the forum and new to nature/bird photography - can you tell me a bit about the licensing stuff that you talk about please?

Thanks.

Licensing is a bit of a process, not too daunting but in a nutshell.

You'll need to be of good character.

You will need 2, good referees and one of them is, or has been Schedule 1 licenced previously.

You need to provide some images of birds, I had to provide at least 2 of adults feeding young, though this isn't species specific. Your referees have to do the same. This demonstrates to the licensing authority that you have some idea of what you're doing.

You have to keep records if you do get a licence and provide a return at the end of the year.

That's the short version, there is a bit more to it but that will give you some idea. (y)

Back