What's Up With The Kingfishers?

Thanks.

Licensing is a bit of a process, not too daunting but in a nutshell.

You'll need to be of good character.

You will need 2, good referees and one of them is, or has been Schedule 1 licenced previously.

You need to provide some images of birds, I had to provide at least 2 of adults feeding young, though this isn't species specific. Your referees have to do the same. This demonstrates to the licensing authority that you have some idea of what you're doing.

You have to keep records if you do get a licence and provide a return at the end of the year.

That's the short version, there is a bit more to it but that will give you some idea. (y)
Ok - but what do you need a license for?

What do you need the license for Dale?

I'm sorry, I thought you knew.

Basically, Schedule 1 birds have extra protection over and above the normal protection that any wild bird has. During the breeding season it is illegal to disturb any Schedule 1 species at or near the nest. A Schedule 1 licence would allow the holder to be at or near a nest site.

That said, I still go out of my way not to disturb at the nest site.

It's suprising how many people are not aware of Schedule 1, I only became aware of it about 6 years ago when I started researching Kingfishers in particular.

I'm sorry, I thought you knew.

Basically, Schedule 1 birds have extra protection over and above the normal protection that any wild bird has. During the breeding season it is illegal to disturb any Schedule 1 species at or near the nest. A Schedule 1 licence would allow the holder to be at or near a nest site.

That said, I still go out of my way not to disturb at the nest site.

It's suprising how many people are not aware of Schedule 1, I only became aware of it about 6 years ago when I started researching Kingfishers in particular.
Thanks Dale - will do some research on this

Saw 2 yesterday, a juvenile flew into a bush, then an adult going upstream about 15feet away.

Saw 2 yesterday, a juvenile flew into a bush, then an adult going upstream about 15feet away.

Cool................

nothing here just now but I am limited timewise and can't put the hours in just now.

Spotted one near the lower Otter, on the bank outside the new path up the West side, about 400m up from the Lime Kiln car park. The river's a bit cloudy at the moment for some reason...

Well, who would have thunk it? After the year the Kingfishers had here last year

We are pretty close to the river, about 150 metres if that, away. I was in our front garden on Tuesday afternoon and I heard what sounded like a Kingfisher. I dismissed it as a Dunnock, as they can sound quite similar and a Dunnock would be much more likely as we are close to the woods too and there are also plenty of hedges around.

Out with the dog this morning, there is a path that follows the river, it's one of my favourite short walks. I'm tuned in to Kingfishers, been doing it a long time now and I was certain I heard one. I'm like, 'no way' but a few seconds later, one bombed past me and the dog, heading up river.

I have seen and heard Kingfishers in the village before, so I know it's possible but I didn't see a single one here last year.

Hopefully, it's a first year juvenile setting up a territory and it will survive this cold snap and go on to become resident, maybe even attracting a mate soon, as the season starts in a few weeks.

:banana:

Last edited:
Great stuff.

So you'll be able to order home brewed coffee & food for delivery while you're hiding the bushes :D

Now there's a thing, saves me lugging over 2 miles from the car, as is the norm. :LOL:

Kingfisher 2 by Peter Dyson, on Flickr

Got this male while out walking our dog <==

Cool, great to see.

I've done 2 further recces along the stretch where 'our' Kingfisher' has been about and there's nothing just now. That doesn't mean much though as if it is a territory, at this time of year, there will more than likely be just the one bird, over a mile plus of river and the path runs along a relatively short stretch of that.

Back