What's your 'pet-hate' in a photograph?

If you say bokey 3 times you develop a scouse accent.

i just did it and then magically I had a permed afro, a terrible tash and was wearing a shell suit! :LOL::LOL:

now I have to say candyman 5 times to put me out of my misery

Bokeh is a horrible word to say, but it looks nice. I used to just call it 'the fuzzy background' :clap:

I'm Scottish, and I pronounce it 'Boh-ki'

my pet-hate? pets!

People who don't read thread titles properly and post their pet hates about photography in general rather than "In a photograph" as the OP intended. :D

guilty as charged.. :bonk:

I do like 'bokeh' as an effect.. its just the word.. irrational but suppose its overkill as it seems to be all the rage on flickr these days.. :shrug:

guilty as charged.. :bonk:

I do like 'bokeh' as an effect.. its just the word.. irrational but suppose its overkill as it seems to be all the rage on flickr these days.. :shrug:

surely no more than the word 'portrait' or 'landscape' or the term 'shallow depth of field'?

Baby shot in general. Yes your baby might look beautiful to you but it's just another baby in a decidedly average photo to me...

Pet shots in general, or the above reasons...

Most Garden Bird shots (although this can be spread to other birds/animals), yes you have the money to buy a long lens and sit in you house with it set on a tripod, why not just connect the camera to a computer and autoshoot as well...

CA in images. It's easy to remove pretty much all of it now so why do you have masses in there. ESPECIALLY for those shots from the so called Pros, who should know better and have the money to buy decent kit that doesn't CA a much...

Pros that are actually rubbish. Yes you have a degree in photography and are apparently really good, doesn't mean that OOF and poorly composed/PP'd image is any good...

HDR, or more precisely bad HDR. HDR can be done quite strongly and look very good, however those shots that don't really need to be HDR'd and instead are just tonemapped to oblivion really don't do HDR justice (same can be said for a lot of other techniques).

Holiday snaps. Occasionally you end up with a thread with a few dozen holiday snaps, seemingly straight from the camera and unsorted. Yes, you went on holiday, I don't care. Sort your images out and post your best half dozen, not every shot.

Multiple images of the same thing. On here again occcasionally, an entire thread with about 56 images of the same thing, just from different angles and with different PP. Sort it out! A couple of photos asking which you think is better but at least give us the courtesy of actually sorting through the dozen edits you did before posting...

I'm sure I can think of some more in a bit... :p

There's not much about photos themselves that bother me. What does annoy me, intensely, is people dressing up a shot with a fancy description, calling it art and then looking down at anyone who dares question it.

You know the sort of thing, "this portrays man's eternal struggle to understand the relationship between his brain and his backside". Perhaps if said head was removed the answer would become clearer.

And this. ^^

Pretension at its best and utterly stupid, same goes to people who like to try and see it in someone elses images **cough** art critics **cough**.:wacky:

Photographers who call poorly lit snaps of people outside in gardens and parks etc, portraits.

Bokeh is a horrible word to say, but it looks nice. I used to just call it 'the fuzzy background' :clap:

I'm Scottish, and I pronounce it 'Boh-ki'

i've cracked it!! why don't we all pronounce it 'bow-ya-ka-sha' in a kind of Ali G styleeee whilst doing that thing with your fingers so they slap together? It kinds of adds impact to the word in line with it's effect on the image.. dontcha think? :help:

lol love this thread!! :) my biggest pet hate in an image has wonky lines....the horizon should be straight, beams, wooden lines pillers etc that youve leaned your model up against should be straight, it really bugs me!! lol

Baby shot in general. Yes your baby might look beautiful to you but it's just another baby in a decidedly average photo to me...
Pet shots in general, or the above reasons...

Most Garden Bird shots (although this can be spread to other birds/animals), yes you have the money to buy a long lens and sit in you house with it set on a tripod, why not just connect the camera to a computer and autoshoot as well...

CA in images. It's easy to remove pretty much all of it now so why do you have masses in there. ESPECIALLY for those shots from the so called Pros, who should know better and have the money to buy decent kit that doesn't CA a much...

Pros that are actually rubbish. Yes you have a degree in photography and are apparently really good, doesn't mean that OOF and poorly composed/PP'd image is any good...

HDR, or more precisely bad HDR. HDR can be done quite strongly and look very good, however those shots that don't really need to be HDR'd and instead are just tonemapped to oblivion really don't do HDR justice (same can be said for a lot of other techniques).

Holiday snaps. Occasionally you end up with a thread with a few dozen holiday snaps, seemingly straight from the camera and unsorted. Yes, you went on holiday, I don't care. Sort your images out and post your best half dozen, not every shot.

Multiple images of the same thing. On here again occcasionally, an entire thread with about 56 images of the same thing, just from different angles and with different PP. Sort it out! A couple of photos asking which you think is better but at least give us the courtesy of actually sorting through the dozen edits you did before posting...

I'm sure I can think of some more in a bit... :p

I've just thought of another.

Photographers who believe they are the only ones producing original work, and everything else is worthless.

I post a lot of baby shots, because I like taking baby pictures, because I have a baby to take pictures of. I like to post them and see if I'm improving, which is one of the many valuable functions of this, and other forums.

Should I, and others, not post any more baby/bird/whatever photographs because we've all looked at baby/bird/whatever photographs already? :shrug:

If you think it's a good shot (without any paternal cloud) then by all means post it. However if you shot it randomly on a P&S then I'd rather you didn't. ;) :p

Essentially i'm talking about the shots that are obviously not that good and aren't really thought out but get raving comments in the OP and from a load of others going "aww, brilliant shot" just because it has a baby in. :LOL:

I find the bird forum really bad for unimaginitive shots, yes it may be a good shot technically but no originality and a camera set on a self timer could have taken one just as good. Obviously not every shot is like that, just a few that are obviously shot from the same position on the same branch.

If you think it's a good shot (without any paternal cloud) then by all means post it. However if you shot it randomly on a P&S then I'd rather you didn't. ;) :p

Essentially i'm talking about the shots that are obviously not that good and aren't really thought out but get raving comments in the OP and from a load of others going "aww, brilliant shot" just because it has a baby in. :LOL:

I find the bird forum really bad for unimaginitive shots, yes it may be a good shot technically but no originality and a camera set on a self timer could have taken one just as good. Obviously not every shot is like that, just a few that are obviously shot from the same position on the same branch.

That I can identify with, to a degree.

If the poster is learning then I'm ok with it, we all start somewhere, especially if that person goes on to produce better stuff. If, however, nothing ever changes and everyone posting just says "aww lovely" and such, then yeah, I'm with you on that!

I'm with the people who mentioned HDR, I just don't see the attraction.... :thumbsdown:

People who see HDR as an end result, and not a tool as part of the process, just like a curves adjustment, dodge & burn, or anything else available for modifying images.

How can you break all the rules if there no fixed rules? :thinking:

Oh, dear... :wacky::clap:

Yes, there's quite a lot wrong with your post - where's the 'hypocrit' smiley?

If there were a hypocrite smiley, I'd happily impose one on myself! Photography, like most art, is full of contradictions :thinking:

People who shoot digital and don't do ANY post processing.

That's like saying you ONLY want to shoot Kodak Gold in a 35mm SLR. Forget Provia, Velvia, etc.

Hence, another one of my contradictions!

People who don't read thread titles properly and post their pet hates about photography in general rather than "In a photograph" as the OP intended. :D

And this, me being too short sighted to read a thread title properly!

When somebody comes up to you and says Nikon are no good you wanna get a Canon, i expect Canon users get the same thing.:(

When somebody comes up to you and says Nikon are no good you wanna get a Canon, i expect Canon users get the same thing.:(

I Love it when that happens :D:canon::canon::canon::canon::canon::canon:

The thing is that its the birds in garden images that get all the comments, all of the trying to be different shots just get ignored...

Another things that annoys me is images that get loads of comments just because of the person who took it, nothing to do with how good the shot is.

My pet hate? the tw@ that sits in the hide with his £10k (I kid you not)set up for hours on end,taking up all 3 of the viewing windows,day after day,after day and then has the gaul to publish his "images" of bird life that quite frankly my 6yr old could produce with her point n shoot. And while we're on about him,why does he name drop all the bloody time?

rant over.....

Just like the idiots who will claim that PCs are the machine of the devil and that you're an idiot for not using a Mac. Okay, they may not come straight out with it but you can damn well tell it's implied.

Big Fat Ego'd pros who belittle anything anyone else dares to achieve.

Luckily they are few and far between :)

I have a huge list of things that I hate :nono:

1. Shots of people
2. Shots that are a cliché, but then which aren't :shrug:
3. Weddings
4. Useless & Rude comments
5. HDR
6. Any post processing (opens a huge can of worms)
7. Photographers who think there are fixed rules
8. Photographers who break all the rules, get crappy results and then argue how artistic their results are!
9. When someone asks me to evaluate their shot from the camera's LCD
10. People who use SLRs are a P & S
11. People who have money to buy expensive equipment but can't be arsed to learn how to use them
12. Trigger happy junkies
13. People who post all their crap, and I ache my hernia holding back my comments
14. People who drag politics & religion into art & science
15. People who don't clean their equipment (camera equipment, I mean)
16. Sand, when it gets in my equipment causing a huge £££ repair bill
17. People who go to all acrobatic manoeuvres to shoot something that could be taken while standing happily on two feet
18. Rain, when it gets in my equipment causing a huge £££ repair bill
19. Service centres who tell you it would take them 2 days to repair what ends up a 2 week job
20. Equipment that I want, but can't afford
21. When I go shooting without my partner
22. My partner not letting me shoot Glamour and Nude (hence, cause of point number one)

And you're a photographer because?

People who think you can't take good shots on a P&S or in auto mode or on a camera phone.

Thanks for reminding me.

People taking things out of context...;)

I've taken a few nice shots on both a P&S and phone camera, just reinforcing the point.:p

My pet hate? the tw@ that sits in the hide with his £10k (I kid you not)set up for hours on end,taking up all 3 of the viewing windows,day after day,after day and then has the gaul to publish his "images" of bird life that quite frankly my 6yr old could produce with her point n shoot. And while we're on about him,why does he name drop all the bloody time?

rant over.....

Seeing your from South Wales are you talking about who I think you are talking about...??

OMG, you grumpy lot. Maybe you should all take a break from photography. Between you, every single post on the forum is disliked.

Gimmicks like live-view and GPS or face recognition. (I know where I took the bloody picture and I know how's in it FFS)

how is live view a gimmick?

I would never use it for anything other than macro work on a tripod tbh, but when shooting 2.5:1 and a macro rail it comes in rather handy

but I cant see any other use.

And you're a photographer because?

But who said I was one :shrug: :p :LOL:

yeah would have been quicker to just post things you don't hate. Would have been a very short list

Joe

So true, and I hadn't even listed them all; and even then, I've miss read the thread's title :puke:

Here! Here!

I was about to say something along the lines of grumpy & me in one sentence .. but someone seems to have gone there first :LOL:

OMG, you grumpy lot. Maybe you should all take a break from photography. Between you, every single post on the forum is disliked.

Well said ... but I love this place :love:

Back