which density ND filter ?

Name
Si
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking at getting a ND filter for a stocking filler off the wife for Christmas .This will be the first time ive used one so im not going to go mad and choose an expensive one straight away .I will probably get a haida pro slim but I have no idea on which would be the best density to choose - 10 stop ? 6 or a 3 stop etc etc .
i will be trying to achieve blurry clouds on landscape through to milky water by the sea if this is possible with just one filter .......look forward to some replies / help .

Last edited:
I have just started playing with longer exposures and filters. I know you're not thinking of getting a Lee filter, but I found this video helpful http://bcove.me/sxun82gl which may help show the difference between 6 and 10 stops.

edit - you have to watch about 10.5 mins of the video before they show the actual comparison

Last edited:
If you want a 6 or 10 stop filter (it sounds like you do) don't buy a cheap one, you may end up regretting it and wasting your money. What is the filter size of the lens you want to use it on? You could buy a B+W ND110 screw on filter (I use one) or opt for the Lee system. The quality is the same for both, though with the Lee you obviously also need the holder etc.

Back