Why Noobs Should "Chimp"

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I only found out what "chimping" meant a couple of days ago, and figured I'd avoid doing it, so I didn't look like a newbie. :D

I just went out to get some night-time shots of a nice bridge in Stockton. I used manual focus for the first shot, with the intention of focusing to infinity so focusing for the rest of the shots wouldn't be an issue. Except I didn't focus to infinity, but neglected to remember that for the rest of the shots.

Now I've finally decided to have a look at the shots on the LCD the penny has dropped. :(

I'm yet to view the shots on my PC (posting from my mobile, as I'm not at home), so don't know whether a few might be salvageable.

Ironically, the bridge is called the "Infinity Bridge".

It's a learning curve. :)

It's checking the image you just shot on the LCD on your camera.

40724801chimping.jpg

... accompanied with pointing at the LCD (like a chimp).

I only found out what "chimping" meant a couple of days ago, and figured I'd avoid doing it, so I didn't look like a newbie. :D

I just went out to get some night-time shots of a nice bridge in Stockton. I used manual focus for the first shot, with the intention of focusing to infinity so focusing for the rest of the shots wouldn't be an issue. Except I didn't focus to infinity, but neglected to remember that for the rest of the shots.

Now I've finally decided to have a look at the shots on the LCD the penny has dropped. :(

I'm yet to view the shots on my PC (posting from my mobile, as I'm not at home), so don't know whether a few might be salvageable.

Ironically, the bridge is called the "Infinity Bridge".

It's a learning curve. :)

i think ive been on that bridge! i live n hpool!

It gets a mention in one of those duck comic strips (the one in the sticky in Out of Focus), so I thought i'd investigate what it meant. To be quite honest, looking at the full screen view of the shots gives nothing away. It's only when I zoomed right in that I realised. At least it's only a couple of miles up the road. I'll pop out again tomorrow night to rectify the issue. (y)

I think the reference is funny - its the face you pull when looking at photos taken.

photography and monkeys? GORILLApod, brass MONKEY and CHIMPing?

weird huh ;)

i think ive been on that bridge! i live n hpool!

Quite possibly. It's a stunner of a bridge. It was someone's photos of it on here that made me want to go and take a few shots myself.

When I said it gets a mention in the duck comic, I meant "chimping", not the Infinity Bridge.

I only check the odd frame to see its ok then run with hardly looking. If looked at the back of the camera every time I shot something i'd never get the shoot finished!!!

That's the thing. I got it exactly where I wanted using the viewfinder, then didn't pay much attention to the rest of the job. I had the shutter speed etc sorted from the first shot, then just snapped away with merry abandon using the remote. Not the end of the World anyway. I'm still learning, and tonight has been a pretty valuable lesson.

82818153.8hgMtTNQ.wwwonlinerws02rc3.jpg

:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:

This made me laugh quite a bit so I imagine it will do the same for other people. It just doesn't help us Canon users out though, so no sneaky "Nikon is better" comments on the back off this image please. :)

I always used to feel silly when shooting a landscape only to have the flash pop up (as I was using auto no less). I've seen others doing the same thing a few times since though ;)

Checking is a good thing you see the composition and look at the histogram to check exposure is good.
One point I don’t know of any time I would focus on infinity apart from say the moon as you only have one third in front of focus point and two thirds past it so you are wasting so much DOF doing this.
Read up on hyper-focusing

I always used to feel silly when shooting a landscape only to have the flash pop up (as I was using auto no less). I've seen others doing the same thing a few times since though ;)

I did that a couple of times when I first got the camera (I've only had it a week), and it annoyed me so damn much! I've used nothing but manual mode since. It is most definitely helping me learn much more about togging, having to fiddle with the finer details myself instead of letting the camera do the work. The auto modes are very restrictive, I've found so far.

Thanks for the tip Chaz. I'll do some reading. (y)

I remember seeing that happen to a guest at a wedding once. Outside as well. Clicks and up pops the flash. I never saw a flash get shoved down so fast and a quick flick to ap prio :LOL:

I did that a couple of times when I first got the camera (I've only had it a week), and it annoyed me so damn much! I've used nothing but manual mode since. It is most definitely helping me learn much more about togging, having to fiddle with the finer details myself instead of letting the camera do the work. The auto modes are very restrictive, I've found so far.

Yep I did the same, buried my head in "Understanding Exposure", switched to manual and never looked back ;)

I remember seeing that happen to a guest at a wedding once. Outside as well. Clicks and up pops the flash. I never saw a flash get shoved down so fast and a quick flick to ap prio :LOL:

:LOL:

I thought Chimps were a sore point in Hartlepool ;)

:LOL: The fishermen hung the monkey, O!

Genuine question; how useful have people found "Understanding Exposure"? It gets rave reviews everywhere, so I don't doubt it's an excellent learning tool. I'm just wondering how much more effective than playing with the camera in the field it really is. I'm very hands-on, and generally use trial and error to get the right shot (or whatever. Doesn't have to be photography).

Every time someone brings up the question of exposure or a beginners book on here 'Understanding Exposure' is always the go-to recommendation. Not read it myself but the fact that so many people sing its praises is surely a good sign!

This made me smile! What a great term! i tend to check it most times it simply means if its rubbish I delete it if its a corker I protect it - saves more work at home!

Rob

That's pretty much my assumption, but I've not seen anyone ask whether a book or real world practice is better. :D I'd prefer to go out and focus on focusing, rather than sit at home and focus on a book.

That's pretty much my assumption, but I've not seen anyone ask whether a book or real world practice is better. :D I'd prefer to go out and focus on focusing, rather than sit at home and focus on a book.

Nothing will be as good as learning hands on but there's always occasions where you're sitting at home feeling too tired/lazy to actually make the effort so reading up on theory is a good 2nd best. Plus, I really enjoy learning the theoretical side of photography so I can happily spend as much time (sometimes more) reading about the technical elements rather than putting what I already know into practice.

This made me smile! What a great term! i tend to check it most times it simply means if its rubbish I delete it if its a corker I protect it - saves more work at home!

Rob

Glad it made people smile. :D With my P&S I've had some shots that looked truly cack on the LCD, then they've ended up looking great after a bit of PP on the computer. So I'm sometimes reluctant to delete them on the device.

Thanks Trigger. That makes sense. I just really like the hands-on approach. I get impatient with reading about it, and want to go and do it instead.

Know my S9600 has live view. It also has a screen which flips out. ALot of the time I use it as a waist high viewfinder and look down into it. It also means I can chimp, should I choose, but it is much easier to frame a shot with the screen than the view finder. Although I lose a bit from steadyness of hand.

Understanding exposure is good, just puts a little theory behind things, and means you can go and experiment with a little more confidence.

I chimp but to check my histogram to make sure that I have the correct exposure. I have quickly learnt that what I see on my LCD is not what I will see when it is downloaded :LOL:

I have a cracking shot of 4 professional pappers at motor sport events chimping. :LOL:

Genuine question; how useful have people found "Understanding Exposure"? It gets rave reviews everywhere, so I don't doubt it's an excellent learning tool. I'm just wondering how much more effective than playing with the camera in the field it really is. I'm very hands-on, and generally use trial and error to get the right shot (or whatever. Doesn't have to be photography).

I found the technical aspects of manual exposure a bit overwhelming, but I like to learn things inside out. At first I was completely confused and to be honest I lost interest in my camera for a while as the learning curve seemed to steep, then this year I made a new years resolution to learn to use my camera properly, and I bought Understanding Exposure to help. It definitely made all the various aspects "click" for me. It all seemed so difficult before but when it all clicks its like common sense! (or maybe I was just being dim :cautious:)

I think that's the first time I've ever achieved a new years resolution too ;)

Light metre correct and you will be fine... When we did Prem footy matches, always shot manual. Dull weather was best. you set the camera and then fire away 1000 frames amatch. Edit later. if you edit on the job you will miss the important bit that comes up when you are not looking.

Bright sunshine was a real pain. Half the stadium in bright light and the other half in long shadow...

You should meter then check a few images... If you check every shot then you can't be very confident.....

Thanks for everyone's advice. (y)

I've now discovered that, of the fifty or so shots I took, five of them were sort of salvageable. The focus still isn't perfect, and when viewed at full size they aren't great. Not too bad in dinky sizes though. :)

4105142949_5eb4300da9.jpg

Back