Wildlife photographer of the year, possible fraud.

I don't know whether it is staged or not..but I don't understand how people are complaining about the fact it was taken using a remote. As purpleclouds said, the guy set the camera up as if he was taking the shot...sports photographers do this all the time. It isn't safe to be that close to the wolf (if it is a wild animal) or in the net of an ice hockey goal. Doesn't mean the image isn't created by the photographer.

From what I can tell from the pictures in the article, the wolves appear to be completely different. There are so many things that don't match you could use it for a childs spot the difference puzzle like this National Trust spot the difference.

There are a few things that match in the wall picture, but building up a complete stone wall, gate wolf picture seems to be a lot of work to go to just to win a competition, although I guess it would look good on a photographer's CV.

If the togs gone to all the trouble of building a dry stone wall and fitting a gate and getting a tame wolf trained to jump it just to win a competition he's taking it way too seriously. The fraise "need's to get out more" comes to mind.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

If the togs gone to all the trouble of building a dry stone wall and fitting a gate and getting a tame wolf trained to jump it just to win a competition he's taking it way too seriously. The fraise "need's to get out more" comes to mind.

I'll bet he was outside a damn sight more than you have been this year whilst working on that shot ;)

When i opened my free suppliment i got with bbc wildlife mag, of the competition, i saw the image i thought..... meh. look a wolf jumping a fence*, Sure its a good photo, well executed, but its so unnatural, I don't think wolves jump for fun like dolphins, frankly whether the wolf was wild (doubt it) or not, i still don't think its a deserving winner.
*yes its amazing to get that shot if it was wild,but i still don't like it.

lol I'm in a harsh mood :p

Sure its a good photo, well executed,

As the most respected wildlife photography competition in the world, it isn't just making a pretty picture that counts towards the winning. It's how it was gotten too.

Look at last years, it wasn't a massive case of 'WOW!' whereas the story behind it was very inspirational.

As the most respected wildlife photography competition in the world, it isn't just making a pretty picture that counts towards the winning. It's how it was gotten too.

Look at last years, it wasn't a massive case of 'WOW!' whereas the story behind it was very inspirational.

Yeh I appreciate that, but last years (think it was the walrus in the mud?) it was interesting, just this years doesn't do anything for me :)

Yeh I appreciate that, but last years (think it was the walrus in the mud?) it was interesting, just this years doesn't do anything for me :)

Nope, it was a big cat at night... taken using exactly the same techniques as this. Albeit without the jumping!

Ah yeh I remember, the snow leopard, i really liked that, its just the wolf jumping... i don't know why i just don't like it :D

I know what you mean, it just doesn't feel right... but that's all down to artistic interpretation which is all individually unique between ourselves and so doesn't really hold much weight when it comes to competition judging :)

Photography is an art... and the competition isn't 'documentary' specific, it is purely photographic. So very open to interpretation!

The only time you'd get that close to a wild wolf is if it was going to eat you!

... which is a very unlikely thing to happen, given the timidity of wolves around humans. Not that that they won't get up close for a nibble if they're hungry though it must be said... once in Canada and maybe 10 or 15 times in Russia so far this century wolves have been declared responsible for human deaths.

On the pic, I do sort of like it - even though it is un-natural and no canine would jump like that over the obstacle in the picture as has been said. Especially at night, most of them can't see that well so more likely one would see the animal clambering over the "gate" rather than leaping so high. Maybe he moved the gate up and down? He obviously made the wall go up and down...

Arthur

It was photoshopped - I found the original

StorybookKitten.jpg

To get the snow leopard the guy spent months in Ladakh watching the animal's paths and then set up a number of traps - shot with a Canon 350D as well.. Speaking to at least one well known wildlife pro - he was very pleased the SL won as his view is that it is 80% preparation and only 20% shooting...understanding the animal is paramount... who knows in this case ...how often did the camera go off, why did the wolf come to ignore the flash...all interesting questions for the tog to answer

To get the snow leopard the guy spent months in Ladakh watching the animal's paths and then set up a number of traps - shot with a Canon 350D as well.. Speaking to at least one well known wildlife pro - he was very pleased the SL won as his view is that it is 80% preparation and only 20% shooting...understanding the animal is paramount... who knows in this case ...how often did the camera go off, why did the wolf come to ignore the flash...all interesting questions for the tog to answer

Well it's good to know that most of what you need to win a wildlife award is a stone wall builder and an animal trainer, it means any of can do it, no special skills needed ;)

:cautious:

:LOL: sorry, I cant help but imagine a rhino jumping that gate and its making me giggle a bit too much ;)

Dacia.

That should put a stop to the giggles :naughty: :exit:

For the record, the first time I saw that wolf pic I thought it looked fake....might have been the fed-up look on it's face from having been asked to do the jump for the 20th time whilst the 'tog adjusted his lights :LOL:

Glad to see intelligent debate hasn't taken time off over the festive period!

What... where?? ;)

The question debated is it a real wildlife photo? Was it a tame trained wolf (not wild then) and was it a set rather than the real world (not life), and even did he actually take the photo or did the wolf take it by tripping a sensor, would that be the wolfs copyright then?
Without more information we can argue all year but never get an answer.
Chill out pull up a chair and have a pint. :beer:

I think I almost have it... all we need is a bit more height and the job's a good'un

IMG_0009-nogate-800.jpg

Arthur - OK, when I say a bit ...

I'm surprised no-one's suggested doing a sheep instead.......

baaaa.

Edit : Oh, I have the feeling it might be possible to interpret that in more than one way.....

BAAAAA.

:)
Somebody did have sheep jumping the gate, they just fell asleep before they could post it.

That so called fraud picture is actually in this months Dslr Photography Magazine, was reading it only today apparently the photographer used a home made infra red device to trigger the shot .

Very Interesting

The trigger details are all discussed earlier in the thread.
To me it is a really fabulous photograph, but wether the pedants who study the fine print decide it's 'wildlife photographer of the year' material agree on that it's down to them.

I'd consider this a lifetime best if I, or anyone I know had achieved it. Set up or not. :)

What... where?? ;)

The question debated is it a real wildlife photo? Was it a tame trained wolf (not wild then) and was it a set rather than the real world (not life), and even did he actually take the photo or did the wolf take it by tripping a sensor, would that be the wolfs copyright then?
Without more information we can argue all year but never get an answer.
Chill out pull up a chair and have a pint. :beer:

Whether it was a tamed wolf or not should not matter per se (so long as it was fully declared if it was)... as I said earlier, it is a wildlife photography competition. Not a wildlife documentary photography competition.

We have seen recently just how much work the BBC do with 'tamed' wildlife - especially for a lot of the underwater work with the likes of starfish, all shot in an aquarium in Kent I believe... and the growing plants that were PP'd into actual footage. Does this mean the BBC have let standards slip? No.. it's the only way they could do it!

I see a painting of a kingfisher... that is nature art. If it was painted from memory/artistic impression then is it not deemend nature art?

Shots with tamed animals are allowed under the rules which means it would be entirely legible to win the award if the judges deemed the shot itself and the work put into it were up to the best of standards.

The debate should be over if it was a tamed animal - why didn't he declare it?

Good point over copyright ownership though ;):LOL:

Back