Wildlife photographer of the year, possible fraud.

Well the guy is obviously a talented wildlife photographer and if he's stripped of the award the damage to his reputation will probably be irreversible. I'll await the outcome of the enquiry with interest, but the similarity between the two locations is pretty damning apart from anything else.

The debate should be over if it was a tamed animal - why didn't he declare it?

This is what I was wondering! Although the email I recieved from the competition states a "wild" animal photo would be given preference in the judges decision...

At the end of the day it is a beautiful image, and I respect people that tell me exactly what they have done to get the picture, if you have used a tame wolf rather than a wild one it doesnt make the picture any less worthy visually, so why not be up front about it? Of course if it is natural, it just makes it that little bit more special...

As for the gate, rocks etc. Have you never moved a twig out of your macro, popped a bit of foreground interest in the landscape just over to the left, or asked your model to pout a bit more to get the image you wanted?!?!? ;)

This is what I was wondering! Although the email I recieved from the competition states a "wild" animal photo would be given preference in the judges decision...

At the end of the day it is a beautiful image, and I respect people that tell me exactly what they have done to get the picture, if you have used a tame wolf rather than a wild one it doesnt make the picture any less worthy visually, so why not be up front about it? Of course if it is natural, it just makes it that little bit more special...

As for the gate, rocks etc. Have you never moved a twig out of your macro, popped a bit of foreground interest in the landscape just over to the left, or asked your model to pout a bit more to get the image you wanted?!?!? ;)

I wonder why he did not include Little Red Riding Hood as well just to complete the scene :D

Npt quite the same as building a set (if thats what happened)

The judging panel is being reconvened and they are to go over the picture and evidence so it said in AP this week
Regards
Richard

Well I don't like the shot one bit. The flash effect on it just spoils it for me. It's not how I personally imagine wildlife to be seen. If I were a judge it wouldn't have been the chosen winner anyway :)

As for anything else, well I think the location looks pretty much the same as those in the other shot. So if that's the case surely the wolf must also be tame. I mean, how would a wild wolf get into what would be a secure wolf enclosure otherwise? :shrug:

Also, I'm surprised at how many copyright breaches there have been in this thread. I trust those of you that have shopped the shot asked permission from the photographer first? ;)

Also, I'm surprised at how many copyright breaches there have been in this thread. I trust those of you that have shopped the shot asked permission from the photographer first? ;)

I think the fair dealing [use] clause would apply

Wow, I thought that they keep it all quiet and not do anything, good on them I say

When you think about it, what wild animal will expend energy jumping over a gate like that when it could go through it.

So who wins now?!

But good on the organisers for not trying to sweep it under the carpet.

No one. They're not announcing a new winner as, first time round, all the voting was done blind and they feel they couldn't now give an unbiased opinion on them now they know the back stories and photographers.

No one. They're not announcing a new winner as, first time round, all the voting was done blind and they feel they couldn't now give an unbiased opinion on them now they know the back stories and photographers.

I guess that's fair but it must be very disappointing for the rest of the entrants.

I have the book (semi review here - note woefully inaccurate final paragraph :shake:) and it's such a high-quality collection that it's sad it feels a bit (only a bit) tainted now.

When you think about it, what wild animal will expend energy jumping over a gate like that when it could go through it.

I said the very same thing a while back.......(y)

The photo never looked right to me and it appears that my gut reaction was correct.Don`t see the point in staging stuff like this.

I think it's just sour grapes from the other photographers in the competition. I don't know how they can say it is a setup - it's a beautiful image....

Nice to see some classic humour on the forum well done spuff :LOL::clap::LOL:

I wonder how they`re going to work around it at the WPOTY exhibition at the Natural History Museum at the end of January?

Well it's sad all round - a shame that a guy with so much talent anyway, had to stoop to these means - a shame for the other entrants, and sad for the credibilty of this prestigious competition, although they've done the right thing in investigating it thoroughly before making a decision.

With all the evidence provided, it's clearly a fake. The only alternative to it being a fake is that the evidence has been faked.
it is still an incredible image and if it is proved a stage it was still worth the time setting it up. But in that case the photog should have told the panel how it was captured. It may still have won anyway
Indeed it is still a fantastic image. But not a chance it would have one. However good the image is, there are a lot of photographers here that could copy it if they had the (trined) animal. There's a big difference between camping out on location, and nailing your 1 shot when the wolf jumps over this gate (as pointed out, it would normally just walk through it, and might perhaps only jump if in a chase, but even then...), and having an animal that you can get to do it time after time. He may have 100 similar shots, many of which are rubbish.

I really wanted this to turn out to be real, I hope it doesn't damage the competition too much.

I went on Sunday and there are some great images there, let's hope they are not all tarred with the same brush.

Maybe he'll appeal....

Sorry, didn't like it anyhow...what a shame someone felt the need to do that though...There are some amazing images there and some well...not so great the judging critera is a bit random to my mind!

Still a great image nonetheless. Compared to the elephant crashing in the mud that won it in 2007 (far too abstract for my liking) or the snow leopard that won it in 2008 (a 'so what' shot), photographically was it any better or worse? Viewed in isolation, most average viewers would, I suspect, like the image because it's unique but recognisable as a wolf jumping over a gate, not some muddy, leathery skin as a close-up. If this 'fraud' came up with a great shot again I for one wouldn't be thinking "Is it a faked pic?" first and foremost; if it's a good shot it's a good shot...

However, as CT says, the credibility of the competition can be affected by instances such as this, although I think it'll be forgotten about in a pretty short time in all honesty. The biggest disappoinment is that they haven't appointed a new winner - a competition without a winner is pointless.

I suspect they had to disqualify it, there was just too much talk on the internet/news, and it was casting doubt over the whole contest and if there was any point entering real wildlife images if "suspect" ones win.
In one way it's sad, but in another it's a good for genuine wildlife togs who spend ages trying to get a good shot.
Maybe the real problem is big money prizes, perhaphs it encourages some people to take liberties in the pursuit of cash.

Still a great image nonetheless. Compared to the elephant crashing in the mud that won it in 2007 (far too abstract for my liking) or the snow leopard that won it in 2008 (a 'so what' shot), photographically was it any better or worse?

I remember those shots, didn't think much of the elephant shot and thought the snow leopard was possibly judged on rarity and effort taken. Let's face it, 13 months, 14 remote setup cameras in 45 locations is a pretty big effort. Personally for that amount of effort I preferred the shots the guy was getting of Bats over his pond:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...sty-bats-swooping-lick-water-garden-pond.html

But, that's part of photography. It's very subjective.

Personally, I liked some of the junior shots this year.

Both of those previous winners clearly supersede this shot. ...This shot is not wildlife and those two are ...simples.

Thankfully the competition isn't judged by average viewers, but by people who can appreciate the talents of wildlife photographers.... the winner award has no merit without these judges after all. I think over all this decision will strengthen the completions merit.

They have said there will be no winner this year, whoever came second will be ****** off with that decision, and not promoting everyone up one place.

Back