Words/phrases you hate to hear

Absolutely. ;)

rednorange.jpg~original

Has no-one else heard of Galvani?
Here's at least one who has and the Galvanometer for electrical measurement named after him.;)

Last edited:
But do you hear colours?

Deep PURPLE, PINK, BLACK Sabbath to name but 3!

Other than the example I mentioned above, few phrases or words annoy me. A fair few broadcasters do though, especially the Feltz creature and Tim Vine's brother. Luckily, I'm rarely in either of the cars tuned to R2 when they're on and if I am, it's only for a 5 minute journey (or I switch them off.)

It really displeases me when people say 'pecifically' but they actually mean 'specifically', and I also dislike people saying 'you've got to give it 110%'. GGGGRRRRRRRR!!!!

"RENDITION" :banghead::banghead::banghead:
What? Like;
"the CIA choir gave an extraordinary rendition of 'I'm leaving on a jet plane' "
I think I know what she means, ;) "That's a nice rendition" or "Nicely rendered" when talking about about an image.
I've never had an image sing to me or felt the need to skim one with concrete.

(or even breathing at all in a few very special cases ) is enough to wind me up.
I think we may be acquainted with a few people in common :D

Exactly.
People were being galvanized long before metal.
Is that a euphemism?

I hate it when someone says to me "Are you still here?" Especially in a job interview.

Last edited:
I work with someone who seems to answer every question with "Not as such." "Have you seen Bob?" "Not as such." Every question gets that answer. To make matters worse he often works with someone whose idea of answering a question is to stare off into space for a few minutes and then repeat the question.

I work with someone who seems to answer every question with "Not as such." "Have you seen Bob?" "Not as such." Every question gets that answer. To make matters worse he often works with someone whose idea of answering a question is to stare off into space for a few minutes and then repeat the question.

Letting secrets out about the Mods is not wise!
:exit:

" ......... anyone?"

I often read this when someone thinks they are making a strong point (such as "...United Sates of Europe anyone?"), but it has the same effect on me as the students in this scene

Sports commentators who can't use adjectives ..the Germany team and can't use adverbs. He played brilliant. Yuck.

"New improved recipe" on any food/drink. I buy things because I like them, I dont want them "improving"

"Time to get up" :(

or

"Quick that's my husband's car"

Where to begin but, for myself, these are some 'favourites':

1. "No offence but..." = I'm about to offend you, but I'm hoping saying this will protect me against any deserved backlash.

2. "Thinly buttered (bread, toast..)". No idea why but this phrase just irritates the hell out of me whenever I read it. Makes me want to shout 'I'll decide how much butter I have you parsimonious twerp!'

3. "Can I get...". No you can't, it's 'Can I *have*' or, strictly speaking, '*May* I have', but I'm willing to let that one go.

4. Trying to sound intelligent by using "myself" instead of "me", especially common in work emails.

4. Trying to sound intelligent by using "myself" instead of "me", especially common in work emails.

A blast from the past :)

"Me, myself and I"

However, I cannot recall in what context I first heard it used....................a play, sitcom etc but what or even when???

But parsimonious is OK instead of, for instance, miserly. ;) :D

A blast from the past :)

"Me, myself and I"

However, I cannot recall in what context I first heard it used....................a play, sitcom etc but what or even when???
There's that great song by De La Soul.

But parsimonious is OK instead of, for instance, miserly. ;) :D

In many cases, yes, but the mental image of toast with a meagre smear of butter just goes against everything I stand for. The only acceptable prefix for the word butter in this context is "lashings of".

I've encountered that one me.

:D

:D
Nice

"New improved recipe" on any food/drink. I buy things because I like them, I dont want them "improving"
That's why they bring out the "classic" version later when everyone has complained.
I learnt that from Futurama talking about the drink 'Slurm'.

Ned Boulting's TDF commentary " after this short break " time to do the weekly shop at Tesco then ?

Actually now I've started all TV adverts, lying, manipulative time consuming crap sucking up 20 mins of a 1 hour program and turning a 1hr 45min film into 2hrs 30min. Get rid of them and the World will be a better place.

Last edited:
Back