£300,00 a week ... is anyone worth that?

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
It has been reported that Wayne Rooney has a new contract with Manchester United to earn him £300,000 a week for the next 5 years.
Now of course some of that is going to go in tax but is anyone really worth that sort of money ... let alone a footballer!

Yes, I'm worth even penny and more, but unfortunately can't get anyone to agree to pay anything for me :D

No one is worth that much but I don't really care as I'm not contributing.

It's the ridiculously high salaries of the heads of utility companies and banks which I have a problem with as I don't really have a choice (other than to keep my money at home and do without gas, electricity and water).

Steve.

Yes, or they wouldn't pay him that much - it's the simple law of supply and demand.

It has been reported that Wayne Rooney has a new contract with Manchester United to earn him £300,000 a week for the next 5 years.
Now of course some of that is going to go in tax but is anyone really worth that sort of money ... let alone a footballer!

that would employ me for 6 years as a research scientist - one week of his wages :(

Last edited:
It wouldn't be so bad if he was a decent footballer (well it would) but he's clearly over-rated.

£300k per week, that's obscene!!!!

As I've said many times, professional football ceased to be a sport, many years ago. Its a multi-million pound business, in which the richest teams are highest in the league tables.

Half the players in English football are foreign imports.:rolleyes:

Professional football is entertainment, played by over paid entertainers. Some of them are even good actors on the pitch. :rolleyes:

Amateur Sunday morning football is worth watching , as its played for the sport, not money. :clap:

Dave

Last edited:
Half the players in English football are foreign imports.:rolleyes:

That is so true ... watched Man City the other evening, only one remotely Mancunian was Joe Hart!

I can't stand football, but for those that do it must anoy the hell out of you cos you pay for it in tickets and replica kits. Also for that money England should at least stand some chance east winning the world cup. I personasly think they get paid so much that they don't care about the sport, its all about the cars, girls and celebrity that goes with it. Shame really.

Can't really think of the words to describe how I feel about it, none of them would be complimentary

About time people started boycotting this rancid sport at premier league level

Last edited:
not just wages though, if it was it would be 10 years assuming no increases
What's the difference between "employ you" and "wages", apart from employers NI (circa 11% I believe)?

In the overall scheme of things whatever a person is paid is really little of importance to observers and pundits. It has relevance to many who, for whatever reason, feel outraged, upset, shocked etc.

The new money Rooney will earn will be ring-fenced in a plethora of tax avoidance schemes (image fees, appearance fees etc) so his basic salary will be much lower.

If the faithful did not merge their dispoable income to their favoured tribe, did not pay £50-60+ for replica shirts, Sky Sport subscriptions and (currently) BT Broadband with free sport then the clubs would not have the cash to pay a over muscled neanderthal £15m pa. BUT the EPL cachet is a global phenomenon and generates multiple layers of cash. So paying a "star" a tiny percentage of the overall income and margin of individual clubs.

So the question is rooney worth £300K per week? For most who do not subscribe to the game or support the club it is not really an issue, it costs you nothing and whatever drives your rssponse changes nothing. For those of us that pay in and supply some of the cash it is a value judgement. I am no fan of Rooney the man but there have been occassions when I have enjoyed him at his best. Overall no I don't think he is wortb £300K a week but he will be getting it till 2019 so he will be getting £60m+ in that time. Sadly the powers that be think he is worth it....

In my life and during the 60s Johnny Haynes broke through a wages ceiling when he became the first pro footballer to earn £100 PER WEEK. I think the scale of change and the mediocrity of many of the so called superstars of football just leaves me shaking my head.

Tomorrow I will watch a local team play and will enjoy it for a £5 entrance fee.

Todays news may cause me to reflect on Rooneys £60m contract and I may unsubscribe from my pay tv services.....

Steve

Last edited:
An obscene amount to pay any player and I've been a United fan all my life.. On his day, Rooney is a game changer and for sure I'd rather he was in a United shirt than an opposing team, but 300k/week is ridiculous.

this is a photo forum, please don't get me started on this.
I have another very close to the heart passion.
motor cycle road racing , been involved for 20 years.
I have lost many good friends who actually pay to entertain the public.
300k a week to kick a bag of wind around, is, sorry guys beyond words.

I'm easily worth that much , if someone could tell my boss that'd be great

Of course he is worth it - simple supply and demand. Man U don't have an unlimited pot of money, they have sell out crowds, and a large income from merchandising and sponsors. If the fans are that upset they would not buy the shirts or subscribe to sky etc...

I really don't understand why people are so bothered and pick on Rooney and other footballers. He is at the peak of his game, and how many other people in the country could do what he does... not many! Football comes in for a lot of criticism, but look at other sports... top basketball players get similar, people like Woods or McIlroy earn millions too, just to hit a ball around... actors like Cruise get more just to act, what about artists like the Stones, U2, Beyonce... in fact with royalties musicians can still earn millions despite not having worked for years.

At the end of the day, if we could command £300k a week not many would say no!

That is so true ... watched Man City the other evening, only one remotely Mancunian was Joe Hart!

Not just that, but for a while in a match between an English team and a Spanish team, he was the only English player on the pitch.

Wayne Rooney on the other hand, in my opinion, is the most underperforming, overpaid, hyped up English player to ever pull on an English football jersey.
We recently lost the late, great Tom Finney, who plied his trade for £14 a week, and had to work as a plumber even when playing for England.

We live in an upside down World.

Someone/something is worth what others are willing to pay.
This.

I read somewhere the Cristiano Ronaldo was either almost a money-maker for Real, or he was a money-maker, as they had sold so many shirts of him. That's BEFORE factoring his on-field contributions to them. Now I can't understand why someone would pay 100 euros for 1 euros worth of material with a name on it, but many do, and that's good business for Real.

The flip-side of this is that Rooney is not Ronaldo, not by a long chalk. However I suspect someone's done the calculations of what it would cost in fee and salary to replace him, and this makes more sense. Tough for United though - they won't get a return on Van Persie, nor on Rooney - just money burned to maintain the team. Makes very tough for the future.

This.

I read somewhere the Cristiano Ronaldo was either almost a money-maker for Real, or he was a money-maker, as they had sold so many shirts of him. That's BEFORE factoring his on-field contributions to them. Now I can't understand why someone would pay 100 euros for 1 euros worth of material with a name on it, but many do, and that's good business for Real.

The flip-side of this is that Rooney is not Ronaldo, not by a long chalk. However I suspect someone's done the calculations of what it would cost in fee and salary to replace him, and this makes more sense. Tough for United though - they won't get a return on Van Persie, nor on Rooney - just money burned to maintain the team. Makes very tough for the future.

He isn't but Rooney is a damn fine player. He has performed well season after season.

Football players and teams have become assets like some high priced art has become. ..they gotta keep the bids high else their market will start to fall in 'value'.

At the end of the day, if we could command £300k a week not many would say no!

I don't think this is true any more, people can and are differentiating between a great wage, and a ridiculous unfair wage. Simply by putting good example above what used to be seen as a no brainer.

Personally I don't think anybody is worth that kind of money however as said already - players get paid what the clubs are prepared to pay them. Rooney isn't the only player on this kind of money.

Looking at his situation in isolation. He was coming into the last year of his contract and (with clubs already trying to buy him) United could easily have lost him for nothing and found themselves having to spend £40m (before wages) replacing him. What they've done is maximise his worth should he decide to leave in 12 months and, as RVP could well be off in due course, they're making a statement of intent ahead of targetting new big name signings in the summer.

The 300K is speculation however, Given United's current situation (no Champions League football next season and about bring in new players) it my be in the clubs interests to have it reported as such. All in all, United must have their reasons for deciding he's an asset worth the money and Rooney was in the right place at the right time.

Still bonkers though.

Well worth it in my opinion .... the problem is the rest of us are horrifically undervalued.

Yes

What I think about Rooney or football is irrelevant.
Any commodity, and that's what he is, is worth exactly what someone is prepared to pay for it.

It will have been a hard-nosed business decision by M.U. No more, no less.

Barack Obama, gets paid £240k a week.
Wayne Rooney, gets paid £300k a week.
One runs the U.S.A. the other can't count to 10.
I rest my case M'lord......

Back