£300 budget but which DSLR

Name
Perry
Edit My Images
Yes
As it says really, I have a budget of approx £300 and would like to hear recommendations for either a used Canon or Nikon.

I’m really stumped at the moment.

Does this include a lens? You'd be hard pressed to beat a D3200 and 18-55mm with that budget. Body only you may be able to stretch to a used D5xxx.

Edit: just seen that Tom's posted a new D3400 with 18-55mm for £354, if you can stretch the extra £54 then that'd be a no brainer for me.

Last edited:
Just the body, Nikon d7100 is worth upping the budget for - or a d7000 if not an option.

body and lens, a Nikon d5000 range camera and kit lens

Costco had a Canon 1300D for £269 with lens bag SD card

just checked their web site looks like the offer gone

Last edited:
bit of self promotion but i have a d7000 with a 18-70 was for sale in sales £300 posted for the pair
i can resurrect if needed

Last edited:
I have a brand new Nikon D3300 with 18-55mm VR1 lens for sale for £300. I can resurrect the for sale thread if you are interested. Watch out for the D3400 if you want to use a wired remote as it no longer has the port for it like the D3200 D3300.

If you want to part exchange your Nikon D3300 then try www.mpb.com/en-uk/ they will give you a price for your old camera and sell you your next upgrade. hth Mike. you could get a better camera by using your old camera to Discount the new one. mpb come highly recommended by lots of people on this forum, adding my own name to the list as I recently upgraded from a d810 to a d4s and could not be more pleased. changing from Nikon to canon will present its own problems as you are now used to the Nikon menu system. I would take a look at a D5xxx in a shop and see how it feels.

I have a brand new Nikon D3300 with 18-55mm VR1 lens for sale for £300. I can resurrect the for sale thread if you are interested. Watch out for the D3400 if you want to use a wired remote as it no longer has the port for it like the D3200 D3300.
he already has this camera doh!

Also consider Pentax, in my opinion they make some good cost effective DLSRs.

Thanks for all the advice - would be body and lens, I know the newer Nikon require the motor in the lens, is there a model which doesn’t (even if older) as the lenses would be cheaper, and not many suggestions for a Canon again older model is ok.

Thanks for all the advice - would be body and lens, I know the newer Nikon require the motor in the lens, is there a model which doesn’t (even if older) as the lenses would be cheaper, and not many suggestions for a Canon again older model is ok.
Unless you prefer the ergonomics/controls of Canon I’d go with Nikon as they’re sensors are generally noticeably better than Canons for a given price point. The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is the 1Dx-II vs the D5, but they’re a bit on the pricey side ;)

Couldn't see this info in the thread Doh ;)

It’s ok, I had one and it went belly up and only now managed to get some kind of funds to replace it. Would be looking to get a 35mm or a 50mm at some point hence wondering about older models that don’t require the motor in the lens.

Not against the D3300 at all just wondered on alternatives.

the D7000 series have inbuilt motors

It’s ok, I had one and it went belly up and only now managed to get some kind of funds to replace it. Would be looking to get a 35mm or a 50mm at some point hence wondering about older models that don’t require the motor in the lens.

Not against the D3300 at all just wondered on alternatives.

I'd go for the D7000 Loved mine until the shutter failed at 90,000 shots. Motor in the body and there's one above for sale ;)

You said you were looking at used so have a look here https://www.mpb.com/en-uk
I would go for the Canon but that's because that's what I use hence I cant comment on Nikon.
You should be able to put together a reasonable starter kit on there for your budget,
I would be looking on MPB at one of the 50D's +15-85 lens that should do you admirably

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...n-digital-slr-cameras/nikon-d3400/sku-697693/
I would go for Martins sale ,mpb not got any s/h d3300 or the bove 3400 plus a s/h afp18-55
The d7000 plus lens above would also be a good shout

Go for the d7000 then if you want the motor

Personally if you were on a budget & wanted lower cost lenses then I'd look at the Sony Alpha 58. Speaking as owning both the Sony and a Nikon D610, used lenses for the sony are much better value than for Nikon, and older lenses all fit & work well too.

I still have a Canon 40D, and I still love it. MPB have one for £94 https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...digital-slr-cameras/canon-eos-40d/sku-696744/

That would leave you £200 for a lens. My wife used a 28-135mm when we travelled, and we lent it to a friend who was travelling, who all liked it. https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/used-canon-fit-lenses/ MPB have them for £134 which would then still leave you room for a nifty fifty, spare batteries, CF cards etc.

Alternatively for a smaller range but 2.8 aperture I remember the Tamron 17-50 being well regarded, they have the VC version on for £149 and the non VC for a bit less ( I seem to remember people preferring the non-VC but not sure how true that is \ was). https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/used-canon-fit-lenses/

I suppose it depends on what you shoot, you could just get a macro or prime like the 85mm 1.8 (they have them for £209 which would take you just over by a few pounds.

Good luck - I don't know much but I do think you are better spending a bit more on the lenses than the body.

Personally if you were on a budget & wanted lower cost lenses then I'd look at the Sony Alpha 58. Speaking as owning both the Sony and a Nikon D610, used lenses for the sony are much better value than for Nikon, and older lenses all fit & work well too.
When I had the Sony A77 I found lenses weren't that cheap and not as much choice tbh.

is there a model which doesn’t (even if older)

D50 and D70 both have screw drivers in body. 6MP but that might be enough. Watch out for sticky grip rubber on them.

My favourite, Canon 100D. You should be able to get the body, 18-55mm kit lens and 24mm prime for about £300.

I bought one recently and love it. So tiny for a DSLR, especially with the 24mm pancake attached. Put a wrist strap on mine and take it places I perhaps wouldn't of taken a DSLR before.

When I had the Sony A77 I found lenses weren't that cheap and not as much choice tbh.

I'd love a Nikon 70-210 f4 for around the same price as a beercan (minolta 70-210 f4 for those not in the know) and the older minolta AF lenses seemed very good value when I was still buying them a couple of years back. Sony AF lenses are sometimes also good value too, with the excellent 50 f1.4 selling used around the same price as a used Nikon 50 f1.8G.

I'd love a Nikon 70-210 f4 for around the same price as a beercan (minolta 70-210 f4 for those not in the know) and the older minolta AF lenses seemed very good value when I was still buying them a couple of years back. Sony AF lenses are sometimes also good value too, with the excellent 50 f1.4 selling used around the same price as a used Nikon 50 f1.8G.
Depends what you're comparing it to I guess. A used Nikon 50mm f1.4d is cheaper still and I believe optically similar to the Sony, if not a touch sharper.

Depends what you're comparing it to I guess. A used Nikon 50mm f1.4d is cheaper still and I believe optically similar to the Sony, if not a touch sharper.

Got a link? They generally seem to be around £150+, and from what I've read were less sharp than the 1.8D (which isn't especially good IMO).

Got a link? They generally seem to be around £150+, and from what I've read were less sharp than the 1.8D (which isn't especially good IMO).
They are around £160 but so are the Sony 50mm f1.4’s in ‘good’ condition on sites like LCE.

They are around £160 but so are the Sony 50mm f1.4’s in ‘good’ condition on sites like LCE.

They've obviously gained in value a bit then. IIRC I paid £105 on the 'bay for mine 3 years ago. Care to comment on the quality of the Nikon 50 1.4? I keep reading that they're softer than the already slightly soft 1.8s (soft by prime standards, that is).

They've obviously gained in value a bit then. IIRC I paid £105 on the 'bay for mine 3 years ago. Care to comment on the quality of the Nikon 50 1.4? I keep reading that they're softer than the already slightly soft 1.8s (soft by prime standards, that is).
Yep, soft wide open but I guess depends on standards and what body you're using it on. If you compare the Sony 50mm f1.4 to equivalent bodies to the Nikon (such as Sony A77 vs D7100 or A99 vs D600) the Nikon actually comes out either as sharp or sharper, whatever that's worth. A number of 50mm f1.4's seem to be pretty soft wide open, but I guess they're more about rendering rather than out right sharpness. If you want sharpness then the Sigma Art is the one to get ;)

My favourite, Canon 100D. You should be able to get the body, 18-55mm kit lens and 24mm prime for about £300.

I bought one recently and love it. So tiny for a DSLR, especially with the 24mm pancake attached. Put a wrist strap on mine and take it places I perhaps wouldn't of taken a DSLR before.

I think I saw one for sale on this site the other day for £100, but can't seem to find it now.

That 100d went for £195.

Someone posted a link in the Black Friday deals thread: Amazon have a Nikon d3400 with kit lens for £75 off taking it to spot on £300.

Apparently the voucher gets auto-applied at the last stage of the checkout.

Last edited:
Canon EOS M3 isn't bad - there are a couple on Ebay, at around £200. Very happy with mine!

Personally I would be looking at Pentax cameras not Canon or Nikon. Apart from being as good or better than anything else you will find in this price range, you can get weather sealing too. You would be able to pick up a K50 with a lens within your budget, or an older K5iis. I would suggest reading some reviews on various cameras before deciding which to get.

I had an older Sony Alpha while on a budget and regretted it due to those reasons. I'd say Nikon or Canon is a better bet for lenses and accessories, even if there are some great alternative cameras like Pentax. I'd recommend the Nikon D7000 as a very good budget camera

Back