£350 approx to spend compact or panasonic g type

Name
NIGEL
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok , next month I have about £350 to spend on something like an x10/g12/panasic g series etc.

I have used a dslr for years but due to detoriating health need something smaller to carry around as general daytime camera.

I appreciate will not have dslr results and considerations are it has to be able to take pictures in low light.

As an example I go to Beamish Museum and some of the period characters are in the houses which are very dark.

I know everyone will have their own favourites and have followed the x10 thread and this camera does interest me but lack of swivel screen is a problem.

So advice needed and if possible if anyone has any shots say at 800asa from cameras they suggest would be greatly appreciated. I find dp review biased to what they find flavour of the month, eg the x10 gets panned and ap reviews I find not that helpfull.

So its over to you guys and gals for advice, to me the best place to come.

Many thanks

Nigel

For that sort of money I'd be going for the G series. It has most of the functionality of a DSLR but in a more compact body and some have the swivel screen which is great.
The Panasonic G2 deal on the Tesco website is great value at the moment at only £199.97 for the body and 14-42 kit lens.

The G2 at Tesco is cheaper than most decent compacts, I doubt there is a better value camera currently available in the UK.

SRS have a refurbed G3 with 14-42 for £349 assuming you are anywhere near them. Though that G2 for 200 is near darned irresistible.

Thank you both for your replies, much appreciated, at least at that price the g2 would allow me to work towards another lens.

G2 then add a 20mm F1.7 to your bag. You've got the low light nailed then too.

Image a GF3 with a hand strap and then a 14mm, 20mm and Oly 45mm primes. You don't need much else. Really light and the IQ is superb. You can get one for £200 with discount

Richie15 said:
I have a GF3 with a hand strap and then a 14mm, 20mm and Oly 45mm primes. You don't need much else. Really light and the IQ is superb. You can get one for £200 with discount

Yes Andy keeping the slrs, only dislike with the x10 is lack of swivel screen, with my ruddy hernia repair getting no better keep bending down is a reall pain, literally

The Nikon Coolpix P7100 is worth a look. I bought one in January, mainly because all my other equipment is Nikon, and I love it. I hardly use anything else now.

Back