£50-80 gift. But what?

Edit My Images
No
My friend has just bought a 400d (18-55) and is really getting into photography.

It's her birthday soon and I was thinking of buying her an accessory.

So, for £50-80, what would you get her?

I thought of things like extra cf cards, batteries etc - but that seems naf.

Also thought of a tri-pod.

Any ideas?

Maybe a battery grip, i'm sure she would love one. I think its the BG-E3 for the 400D. They can be had for about £60 second hand.

Nifty Fifty?

Studio Lessons :)

Only the other day she was asking how I photograph subjects against white backdrops.

I replied - "Speak to EdinburghGary. He can provide a solution to this in a very inexpensive fashion" ;)

Joking aside, good suggestion EG.

Only the other day she was asking how I photograph subjects against white backdrops.

I replied - "Speak to EdinburghGary. He can provide a solution to this in a very inexpensive fashion" ;)

Joking aside, good suggestion EG.

I think it would be an awesome gift, a platform to be built on and in essence, potentially a lot of profit will come of her increased knowledge :)

G.

Flowers & Chocolates & Perfume & Lingerie

She must be a very good friend to spend that much on her ... where's the romance gone :D

50mm 1.8 or Slingshot 200
Both within proce range and imo both needed...

Raynox DC 250 to try some macro?
If you can stretch to £90 a visit to WHF? Or some other experience day \ lessons. I think as gifts you always remember those.

A grip or a tripod may not be needed, since she's new to photography and I don't think she want to carry too heavy stuffs around.
Filters could be nice for us but not really a good idea, £50-80 filters for the 18-55?
Also, a lesson may not be a good idea, it's depends, whether she wanna go pro or not, and does she have time or not?
Batteries / CF cards ..etc, does she actually need it?
Camera bag? Be careful here, we guys need something useful, but they need something fashionable :(

The niffy fifty 50 1.8 would no doubt be the best here imo :). No way she won't like that little sexy thing :)

What do they like to photograph? I'd be tempted by tripod, cpl, nd grad set, basic flashgun, old fully manual 50mm lens + extension tubes for macro... The list could go on but I haven't the foggiest what they might actually use.

What do they like to photograph? I'd be tempted by tripod, cpl, nd grad set, basic flashgun, old fully manual 50mm lens + extension tubes for macro... The list could go on but I haven't the foggiest what they might actually use.

Good points.

Trouble is, right now it's unclear as to which area of photography will become her fav :(

Maybe the 50 1.8 is the best bet.

I guess if you don't know what she might use, a compact tripod or the 50mm would be most versatile.

Maybe a battery grip, i'm sure she would love one. I think its the BG-E3 for the 400D. They can be had for about £60 second hand.

Not everybody likes battery grips! Fine idea IF she wants one but could end up as a drawer filler or e-bay fodder.

Maybe take her to a well stocked store and tell her she has up to £?? to spend.

does she have the is or non is version of the kit lens? If it's the non is I'd say the nifty fifty everytime.

DO a FITP setup, flash gun, brolly, stand etc. She can do portraits then.

How about a flash? Jessops have a couple of options for Canon in this range, obviously both limited but even a crap bounced flash is much better than the on-camera flash 99% of the time IMO.

Well it is clear that you fancy her. But that is another issue.

Right, for me the best route is the mag subscription route. These will contain endless articles, ideas, tutorials, tips and tricks for her to learn. Once she finds the field she wants to concentrate on, she can then buy the lens for that area.

With the money saved, you can take her out for a date.

:LOL:

Back