1.4 or x2 converter for Canon 100-400 MkII?

You will suffer focusing issues with both converters especially the 2x as you will only have manual focus with that and I could be wrong but im sure with the 100-400mm even the 1.4x might only be manual focus on 60D

As your also on a crop sensor at 400mm your already equivalent to over 600mm FF putting converters on will need a good steady tripod or extremely good light for handheld shots asa your going to need in excess of 1/1000 shutter speeds to stop blur

Im pretty sure you need the 1D series bodies for full functionality

Last edited:

What ever the make, the idea is that this lens is not a very bright one
and to use a teleconverter with it will only make it darker. I don't mean
that the equation is bad but that it will limit your shooting conditions.

To support these choices, you should have a body capable to render
good takes at high ISO and recent enough to have a new AF system
that can focus rather fast in lower ƒ stops.

what does it turn the aperture to if using the 2x converter ? f8?

I use a 1.4x on my 100-400 and it is a great combination. I'm using it on a 7D2 though so auto focuses at f8.

oh crikey that's some serious high iso needed in this country! lol

The 1.4. Though all three generations it's had a good reputation and sat well with a combination of lenses. There are unavoidable trade offs to any extender but if you understand them then the 1.4 can deliver. You'll loose autofocus on the 60D but optically it pairs well with the 100-400 II. By comparison the 2x has been the complete opposite, having few fans and generally always discussed with a "but...". The 300 f2.8 and 2x combo ever seems to have been about the only combination where people didn't need to qualify the recommendation.

Depends on what you shoot and how you present your images, but simply cropping more may be the answer.

well it's birds / wildllife so i need to get closer as the subject isn't taking up much of the shot so i have to crop anyway unless it's just a bird in a landscape - ideally i get closer in person but it's tricky if something is on the other side of a lake...

note i'm only talking about larger birds etc that don't move around much i.e. i know a safari would be tricky without autofocus...

and i know the bigger fixed lenses let in more light but they're so inflexible...

tell me if i'm on to a loser but The W's reply is encouraging...

i just ordered the Canon 100-400 MkII as i loved using the old model but want the upgrade.

i like its flexibility but do want to get more range so was thinking of either the 1.4mk III or 2x mk III converter

Can anyone recommend which of the two converters i should get and why?

i'm using it with a Canon 60D

thanks for any help
hi i have the same lens you have ordered, and i use the 1x4 converter and it works very well and with auto focus, it will go to 560mm and will give some great shots, enjoy

This is how I would approach it

Getting in closer >> cropping from modern high res sensor >>> cropping + ai models >> 1.4x iii >>>>> 2.0x iii

This presumes you are making the most out of your kit capabilities and don't waste sharpness with poor focus or motion blur of whatever kind.

Back