1.5 year`s later its all over

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
Some of you guys will be aware of my quest to get a decent Buzzard shot. I have tried baiting them, tried various hides, tried getting close by car but it just wasnt to be.Went out later than normal today but as i arrived the weather was dull and overcast. Not much happening UNTIL---this guy perched on a post a distance from me. I shot off about 50 shots before he took off---this time to a post much much closer to me. Managed another 20 or so shots like the ones below.I cant tell you how happy i am now...They could be crappy shots--i just dont care as i have seen this beauty close up.:clap::love:

DSC_7006.jpg

DSC_7005.jpg

DSC_6999-1.jpg

DSC_6997.jpg

DSC_6995.jpg

DSC_6994-1.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't call them crappy at all. Pretty good shots. And congratulations on getting to the end of your quest :clap:

Good on your shots.
I have been trying for longer than 1.5 years and still not got a good shot.
Actually been 20 yds from one that nailed a stoat (in ermine coat) after several attempts. Never had my camera with me!!!

lovely shots all of them,i think its great how the buzzard has made a comeback in the uk,

regards john.
Bloody comeback alright John ;), farmers are shooting them now :shake::shake:

Great captures Marky :clap::clap: What next then? :naughty::naughty:

I'd say they were excellent shots having tried to get similar great eye contact and nice pose what more could you ask for?

Fantastic captures Love No. 2 And No.4 Very well done

Kirk

Great work :clap:

Personally, I've never seen one closer than about 300 ft above my head:(

Great work :clap:

Personally, I've never seen one closer than about 300 ft above my head:(

Similar to my story before today.Anytime i could get near it was without a camera or was in an area where i just couldnt stop my car.

Appreciate all the comments--think this is the most replies to any of my pics.:LOL:

Nice capture, I've yet to get a decent shot. I had a kestrel drop onto prey right in front of me alongside the car last week, unfortunately I was doing abot 70mph at the time.

Nice one Mark,some cracking shots there and nice to bump you into again that day, now only if I had came down to the hide 30mins earlier.... (y)

Tommy.

Tommy remember for me to find out where your going so i can go the opposite direction, seem to get the luck when you arent around.:shrug:;):D Only joking--did you see the buzzard when i went away?

Very nice set of shots. Only thing is, your bus has come along a lot sooner than mine.:sulk: ;)

well done....what's the next quest?

I have a "fav" buzzard....he sits on a fence post along the side of the brockworth bypass just before you start up the hill to the air balloon roundabout (gloucester A417) - I see him at least twice a week - but as I am always rushing to and from work there is just no way to stop and get a shot....maybe one day...

Last edited:
Tommy remember for me to find out where your going so i can go the opposite direction, seem to get the luck when you arent around.:shrug:;):D Only joking--did you see the buzzard when i went away?

lol nah my lift arrived about 20minutes after you left but he didn't return during that time. Hopefully get back up again next week and see what I can see though. (y)

Tommy.

Yeah seems like its been hanging around because the grass in front of the hide was cut down by a tractor and there was some dead mice/voles etc and it had easy pickings.Just need that male Hen Harrier to land in the same spot now and i will be a happy chappy.

Again Thanks for the comments.

well done not crappy at all

I see one perched on a sign 30ft from the road in the old footy field i pass going to work, the last couple of days its been on a tree stump/cut down bush no more than 10ft from the road and today there was a pair of them. of course the camera was at home.

Well done on completing your quest. Some great shots and well worth waiting for is my guess.

Nice to see someone is meeting there quest Mark, like you I have been waiting a long time for a half chance of a good chance of photographing a superb capture such as you have here..... well done (y) was this at Lochwinnoch by any chance?? I also like the eye contact....

John

Nice to see someone is meeting there quest Mark, like you I have been waiting a long time for a half chance of a good chance of photographing a superb capture such as you have here..... well done (y) was this at Lochwinnoch by any chance?? I also like the eye contact....

John

Yeah John it was Lochwinnoch.The RSPB guys cut down the grass/reeds in front of the viewing window. This left some mice/voles etc in a rather dead way. The Buzzard followed behind the tractor that day so i think the day i went he had realised this was a decent spot for getting some quick food.:naughty: Just lucky i think.

Bloody comeback alright John ;), farmers are shooting them now :shake::shake:

Great captures Marky :clap::clap: What next then? :naughty::naughty:

Why do they shoot them out of interest? On the farm i go to they love watching them and love having them about :)

Great shots, i love watching buzzards. Had one come at about 6ft over my head once being chased by a crow, always the days i dont have my camera, im still on my quest to get a good shot of them, least you have shown us the wait can be worth it :clap:

Well done on getting the shots, well worth the wait, very sharp and well composed! (y)

I see buzzards regulary on the farm at home, they're about as common as crows! This summer I saw one fly by nearly everytime I drove by the wood on my way to the combine with the trailer, one time carrying half a rabbit. Must try and get a 300mm and remember to take the camera on the tractor next year! :LOL:

Lisa, I don't think its the farmer's shooting them, it's more likely game keepers as they get after the pheasants. :(

Last edited:
Back