1 camera 1 lens

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
So I've been thinking about this for some time now since Marcus ( @XFile2708 ) suggested it.

Anyone else doing it?

I kinda like the idea of it but i shoot a wide variety of stuff so I'm not sure I'd be able to do it. I guess that's the challenge though? Fancy a go at a 50mm challenge but reckon I'd fail miserably. :LOL:

I did about six months just using my 35mm F2 lens for everything.
From nights out with mates, to gigs, landscapes, cityscapes.

Loved it! You really get to know the lens which helped me massively. It's still the lens on my camera most (In fact for days when the 35mm simply will not do on the dslr, eg wildlife/planes do I now have an EOS-M and 22mm lens as a second)

Cheers Rich. It's very appealing. I think i'd quite like the challenge of shooting something with a less than ideal lens. Luckily, wildlife isn't something i shoot atm but motorsport is although i could probably live without shooting that too. I think i would just have to put all my other gear n the cupboard or lock them away and give the missus the key though to stop me using them. :LOL:

Totally great idea,sometimes having too much choice does ones head in,i have around 15 guitars and im forever playing one after the other without getting to know any intimately,had the same problem with women when i was younger:runaway:
Why i love the x100 series so much

Last edited:
So I've been thinking about this for some time now since Marcus ( @XFile2708 ) suggested it.

Anyone else doing it?

I kinda like the idea of it but i shoot a wide variety of stuff so I'm not sure I'd be able to do it. I guess that's the challenge though? Fancy a go at a 50mm challenge but reckon I'd fail miserably. :LOL:

Yep works nicely for me - settling on the X100T has 'almost' cleared me of my GAS problem.. and love the fact that I don't crave new lenses or spend more time deciding which lens to take out with me than I do actually taking the photos :D

I think limiting yourself is a good idea, doing so results in two things.
1- It makes you think more about how you approach and shoot your subject whatever it may be.
2- It makes you work for the shot as you'll find your legs become your "zoom" and you'll probably find yourself exploring new & different angles.

You've got the ideal camera for this & the 35mm would be an ideal partner, the only other thing i'd suggest is limit yourself further by just shooting in single shot mode & jpg + raw aiming to get the shot right in camera so the raw's are just unused back ups.

I've been shooting in a similar manner for over a year now albeit using more than one lens and limiting myself to jpg only, no raws at all. I've found it quite refreshing and have seen my post processing go down to just crop, resize & occasionally a small contrast boost.
I have a similar set up to you in that I use an X-Pro1, XF 35mm f1.4,XF 60mm f2.4, 50mm Zeiss f2 ZM & 75mm voigtlander f2.5, currently the Zeiss lives on the camera so i'm manual focusing as well and loving every minute of it.

What makes it even more limiting for me is that I'm bed-bound 24/7 so i'm stuck in a pretty much fixed position all the time therefore can't use my feet as a "zoom" but I don't let that stop me.

So give it a go, even if its just for a day, you may well be surprised with your results.

What's the point in have a camera that you can change the lens and not using it, less sometimes you may only want to use limted lenes, but in general it's the flexibility that's so good.
The only way I would consider this is when using a compact or bridge style camera.

I think limiting yourself is a good idea, doing so results in two things.
1- It makes you think more about how you approach and shoot your subject whatever it may be.
2- It makes you work for the shot as you'll find your legs become your "zoom" and you'll probably find yourself exploring new & different angles.

You've got the ideal camera for this & the 35mm would be an ideal partner, the only other thing i'd suggest is limit yourself further by just shooting in single shot mode & jpg + raw aiming to get the shot right in camera so the raw's are just unused back ups.

I've been shooting in a similar manner for over a year now albeit using more than one lens and limiting myself to jpg only, no raws at all. I've found it quite refreshing and have seen my post processing go down to just crop, resize & occasionally a small contrast boost.
I have a similar set up to you in that I use an X-Pro1, XF 35mm f1.4,XF 60mm f2.4, 50mm Zeiss f2 ZM & 75mm voigtlander f2.5, currently the Zeiss lives on the camera so i'm manual focusing as well and loving every minute of it.

What makes it even more limiting for me is that I'm bed-bound 24/7 so i'm stuck in a pretty much fixed position all the time therefore can't use my feet as a "zoom" but I don't let that stop me.

So give it a go, even if its just for a day, you may well be surprised with your results.

Thankyou! I do believe the 35mm (50mm FF) is the ideal focal length. Stopped down to F2 the 35mm really sharpens up. I REALLY want to do it but i know i will fail. (That's a great start isn't it?! :D ) I have the 18mm f2 aswell which i absolutely love. Planning a day out tomorrow but would just the 35mm suffice? Reckon i will cave and take both. :LOL: Maybe i could live with just the 18 though?

Thankyou! I do believe the 35mm (50mm FF) is the ideal focal length. Stopped down to F2 the 35mm really sharpens up. I REALLY want to do it but i know i will fail. (That's a great start isn't it?! :D ) I have the 18mm f2 aswell which i absolutely love. Planning a day out tomorrow but would just the 35mm suffice? Reckon i will cave and take both. :LOL: Maybe i could live with just the 18 though?

Well you can only walk backwards so far ;)

Of course the good thing is both the extra lens & spare battery will easily fit in a pocket :D

What's the point in have a camera that you can change the lens and not using it, less sometimes you may only want to use limted lenes, but in general it's the flexibility that's so good.

You still have the flexibility. Just over a longer amount of time. At some point in the future, I'll start fooling around with a 28mm lens. And I'll be happy to stick with the cameras I know well and just change the 35mm for a 28mm.

Because of my health problems at the moment i find this does all I need and it is not only light but has a 32Gb built in memory+16 Mpexel and also has an SD card slot as well. Plus has macro mode

It is a Panasonic camcorder HC-X900M model .Pistol grip bought seperately

Took this, as an example, with it

And great movie mode which does not have a time limit as do DSLR's. superb sound and continuous focus
and zoom

Last edited:
Remember DSLR cameras have a video record time limit. My Panasonic can do 3D as well with the attachment and a lot cheaper than the Leica even though that is a superb camera

Last edited:
Come to think of it, how's the x100? :D

Hmmm, not sure, think it may be moved on, its in fantastic condition, takes really nice shots and I got a great deal but I dont think its for me. Ive been spoilt by the D750 which probably isnt a fair comparison as the D750 and 35 ART is only £1600 more! X100 is so beautiful though!!!!

Last edited:
Going to try using a Fuji X-E1 with a 27mm for much of my photography so will see how it goes

23 sounds like the ideal one lens choice for you David. Wide but not too wide. Fast. Excellent quality. You've got one haven't you? :p

Think I'm gonna go with the 18mm f2 tomorrow and see how i get on. May instantly regret it as soon as i leave the house but it's gotta be worth a go.

Lets make it nice and easy for you - package all your other lenses up and courier them across to me on Monday.. I'll be their custodian whilst you're trying the x1 camera/x1 lens challenge :D

I went Disney last year and 90% of my photos was with the X-T1 and 23mm even though had other lenses..
If it wasn't for likes of Busch gardens where you need that distance id quite happily used just the 23mm the entire holiday :) (23mm = 35mm focal length)
Personally i like focal lengths 35mm to 50mm so id now think that i could survive using just my X-T10 and 27mm for a month as its sat inbetween both.

(No longer have the X-T1)

I did this a lot when it got my 1st camera,couldn't afford any others lens for a while,but now will stick to my zooms :)

Back