1" compact camera queries.

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
I'm toying with getting a 1" type compact camera for those times that I just can't be bothered to carry a 'proper' camera around, but want something with more flexibility and IQ than my iPhone. I've had the RX100-3 and Canon G7x in the past but only found IQ a bit so so, however I'm getting less picky now and at times have been 'happy' with images took on the phone.

The cameras I've bene looking at are the RX100 up to a mark 5 (I don't want one with the slower lens), Canon G7x-II and G5x-II. I prefer the idea of the Canon's due to the grip mainly, but also the longer reach (105mm and 120mm respectively vs 70mm of the Sony). Of the two the G5x-II looks the better option as it have a longer reach (whilst maintaining f2.8 at the long end) and has a pop up EVF. However, I found the G7x I had to be quite soft in the corners at the wide end, does anyone know if the G7x-II and/or G5x-II suffer the same, and whether the Sony's are better in this regard?

I have a Panasonic TZ100. I think you're probably going to see at least some lens issues with these smaller zoom lenses but I try to look at whole pictures instead of looking too closely. The TZ100 isn't up to MFT image quality but the files can take quite a bit of processing and the higher ISO's are useable for whole pictures. There's a TZ200 now. They're worth thinking about along with the usual and possibly more popular Sony's. TZ100 thread... https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/panasonic-tz100.653653/

I like to take mine when even MFT might be too much and I also like to take it on holiday with my A7 and a prime for when I want wider or longer.

I have a Panasonic TZ100. I think you're probably going to see at least some lens issues with these smaller zoom lenses but I try to look at whole pictures instead of looking too closely. The TZ100 isn't up to MFT image quality but the files can take quite a bit of processing and the higher ISO's are useable for whole pictures. There's a TZ200 now. They're worth thinking about along with the usual and possibly more popular Sony's. TZ100 thread... https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/panasonic-tz100.653653/

I like to take mine when even MFT might be too much and I also like to take it on holiday with my A7 and a prime for when I want wider or longer.
Thanks but I’d rather have a brighter lens and sacrifice reach.

I prefer the idea of the Canon's due to the grip mainly

I'm sure you already know about it but just in case not: there is an optional Sony grip you can buy which makes a world of difference. I have one on my RX-100 (II) and wouldn't dream of using one of these without it, it would fly straight out of my hand!
I've been considering difference options as an upgrade myself so am interested to see what you end up going for

ergonomically I just didn't get along with RX100 series. And I can get along with almost anything lol.

lens wise ones on Sonys are reviewed to be better quality than canon/panasonic especially in corners. but I really enjoy using my LX100ii so much so I rebought it second time. The body is also decent size but not too big. The lens is great and bright. Overall a great body to use. Only downsize is no flippy screen which I don't mind so much.

Last edited:
I have a TZ100 and an RX100 (3). No grip on either and don't miss it. It's the Sony that gets used.

I did try the Leica C lux (TZ200) for a while and it was pretty good but I wasn't massively impressed. Too much compromise with the small lens etc I think, so I gave up with that and just stuck to the bridge camera model. However, the Sony ones do have a good rep so I suspect they're a smidgeon above the Panasonic!

One thing that puts me off the Sony's is the pop up evf, I much prefer it in the top corner and ready to use. It may not be an issue for other people but I don't like back screen shooting and much prefer using the evf.

I'm sure you already know about it but just in case not: there is an optional Sony grip you can buy which makes a world of difference. I have one on my RX-100 (II) and wouldn't dream of using one of these without it, it would fly straight out of my hand!
I've been considering difference options as an upgrade myself so am interested to see what you end up going for
I'm not definitely getting one, just playing with ideas. I've kind of lost my mojo and even taking my m4/3 camera out seems like a chore at times, and I wonder if I'd be more likely to take something like this out more often. I could of course end up wasting money on something that I don't use ;)

I'm not definitely getting one, just playing with ideas. I've kind of lost my mojo and even taking my m4/3 camera out seems like a chore at times, and I wonder if I'd be more likely to take something like this out more often. I could of course end up wasting money on something that I don't use ;)

1" cameras wont give you FF image quality and wont even match MFT when you're pixel peeping but they are cameras rather than smartphones and they will get you a useable picture even at high ISO's that'll look good as a whole picture and I'm sure cropping will be possible at lower ISO's. And they're camera not phones. So there's all that going for them.

I know you're not interested in the TZ100 but one feature I like is that you can set it to step zoom so you can select 35/50mm etc and you can set it to remember your setting on power on so I can use it like a 35mm compact if I want. Turn it on and the lens zooms to 35mm and I'm ready to take a picture! What's not to like :D Maybe the equivalent Sony has a similar option.

I'd much much rather use a 1" compact than a phone.

I think you need to have a word with yourself...... for these reasons:-

a) Deep down you know you are picky
b) If you got something small, you'll start complaining about where to put your fingers, etc by your own admission you have large hands

If you want a cheap solution just to see if you can get your mojo back, then get a pancake lens for the Olympus (or a very compact zoom), otherwise I'd just carry on usinng your phone until your mojo returns.

I think you need to have a word with yourself...... for these reasons:-

a) Deep down you know you are picky
b) If you got something small, you'll start complaining about where to put your fingers, etc by your own admission you have large hands

If you want a cheap solution just to see if you can get your mojo back, then get a pancake lens for the Olympus (or a very compact zoom), otherwise I'd just carry on usinng your phone until your mojo returns.
Wise words, although for 'day to day' shots I'm getting less picky over the IQ. On our last hol I was quite happy with what the iPhone churned out.

I've got a G7X M1 and I love it.

I'm currently fixated with the M43 Lumix LX100 Mk2 but at 24-75 equiv. it doesn't have the reach you're looking for. Plus it doesn't have the flip up screen I'm looking for.

How about APS-C/FF fixed lens cameras? I know it provides no more flexibility than iphone. But if you for example go with RX1RII you can easily crop to 70mm-ish still having enough resolution.
Also IQ is outstanding and can't really get much better. So you concentrate on perfecting composition using that focal length and take good picture with it than many mediocre images with a zoom.

:ROFLMAO:
How about APS-C/FF fixed lens cameras? I know it provides no more flexibility than iphone. But if you for example go with RX1RII you can easily crop to 70mm-ish still having enough resolution.
Also IQ is outstanding and can't really get much better. So you concentrate on perfecting composition using that focal length and take good picture with it than many mediocre images with a zoom.
Bit pricey the RX1R ;)

How about a M43 lumix GX80 + 12-60 (24-120 equiv)? Currently my fave gear. Not pocketable but goes in a small shoulderbag, and you'll no doubt have room for the amazing little pana 45-150.

Bit pricey the RX1R ;)

sell the Z7 by sounds of it you don't feel like carrying it anyway and I don't blame you :p

camera jungle used to have them them for £1.6K for mint/excellent ones (with discount code) which is great price.

How about a M43 lumix GX80 + 12-60 (24-120 equiv)? Currently my fave gear. Not pocketable but goes in a small shoulderbag, and you'll no doubt have room for the amazing little pana 45-150.
I already have m4/3, the idea is something pocketable (y)

Still use my G7X mk2, images are reasonably decent even at high ISO.

Last edited:
Certainly worth considering and it will use any m43 flashes snerkler may have. Although I have Sony RX10 & A7R III I won't buy an RX100 as I want external flash and permanent EVF.

Like on the G7X, the pop up flash can be held up, to give a little bit of bounce flash. Not ideal, but no hot shoe, camera would be to small for one anyway.

In terms of iq when I pixel peep a 1 inch sensor it’s clearly not as good as it’s larger sensor brethren but I have printed the original Sony RX100 at A3 exhibition quality for an exhibition! And at this size and correct viewing distance the prints do look good!

I love the RX100 (had the ii, can't quite justify the cost of the vii), but maybe think out of the box?

Give up the whole "reach" thing (you'll still have the iPhone with its faux-zoom) and join the cult that is ... Ricoh GR!

I've been thinking about comments about these cameras being small and the controls being difficult.

These things haven't affected me but one thought that might help people who think these cameras are too small and fiddly is that my TZ100 fits in the case my old 35mm compact camera fitted in and when used in aperture, manual or shutter mode button pressing can be minimal to non existent which could minimise handling issues.

I think they are fiddly, but it's in the nature of the market. The manufacturers try to put the same amount of functionality into them as they put in their mid-range mirrorless cameras. And that makes them feel unwieldy (especially with Sony's menu system!)

I've been thinking about comments about these cameras being small and the controls being difficult.

These things haven't affected me but one thought that might help people who think these cameras are too small and fiddly is that my TZ100 fits in the case my old 35mm compact camera fitted in and when used in aperture, manual or shutter mode button pressing can be minimal to non existent which could minimise handling issues.
I do not use my TZ in the same way as I do a DSLR, with the excellent Panasonic Image app I can have control most things from my phone, this has led to exploring different POVs and with the use a Gorilla pod putting the camera in places I would not dare put my DSLR such as a rock mid stream.
The TZ helped me out of a rut in my photography and I would not leave home without it now.

Certainly worth considering and it will use any m43 flashes snerkler may have. Although I have Sony RX10 & A7R III I won't buy an RX100 as I want external flash and permanent EVF.
The LX100 is larger than I wanted, if it doesn't fit in my pocket I Amy as well just use my EM1 instead.
In terms of iq when I pixel peep a 1 inch sensor it’s clearly not as good as it’s larger sensor brethren but I have printed the original Sony RX100 at A3 exhibition quality for an exhibition! And at this size and correct viewing distance the prints do look good!
It wouldn't be for pixel peeping, just snap shots
Cameralabs have a review of the g5x-ii if that helps.

https://www.cameralabs.com/canon-powershot-g5x-ii-review/

When i was looking for a small camera to chuck in a coat pocket i decided on a RX100 IV as i didn't want to pay £700+ secondhand price for the later RX100`s with the longer telephoto range
Thanks, I've seen that already. I don't want to pay £700+ either, but e-infinity have it at a 'decent' price
I love the RX100 (had the ii, can't quite justify the cost of the vii), but maybe think out of the box?

Give up the whole "reach" thing (you'll still have the iPhone with its faux-zoom) and join the cult that is ... Ricoh GR!
It's worth a look, although I do prefer 24mm over 28mm for wide angle.

The G7X may seem small and fiddly, but it is not really. I have got largish hands, and I can operate all the little buttons with ease. I can even operate it with ease, with one hand, provided I have the wrist strap on. It may look like I am holding it awkwardly, but that is because I am operating the DSLR in the other hand. :)

I think they are fiddly, but it's in the nature of the market. The manufacturers try to put the same amount of functionality into them as they put in their mid-range mirrorless cameras. And that makes them feel unwieldy (especially with Sony's menu system!)

I was just thinking how I use the TZ100, I'm not constantly pressing tiny buttons.

My point is that they may be fiddly if you're constantly pressing tiny buttons but how often do you really need to press them? Hardly ever maybe? And if you're not pressing them the camera suddenly isn't fiddly.

It was just a thought.

Although the G7X is small and easy to use, and it slips into the tiniest of pockets, it does not feel like I am using a camera. It feels more like using a phone to take a photo. It also feels like a little block of soap at times. Although I have gotten plenty of memorable photos and video, of the family, probably plenty more because I was always able to have the camera in my pocket.

I don't think I would get another type of camera, like the Compact 1" style. I would probably go for something that looks and feels like a camera. With an aperture ring and shutter control dial, if possible.

Last edited:
I don't think I would get another type of camera, like the Compact 1" style. I would probably go for something that looks and feels like a camera. With an aperture ring and shutter control dial, if possible.

The control I use most on the G7X is the lovely old ring on the lens, control ring they call it. It's first & foremost an aperture ring, secondly it adjusts ISO when your right thumb rests on the edge of the screen. It adjusts shutter speed in Tv mode and selects all types of other stuff in other modes. Damned clever design, nothing fiddly there.

Accidentally pushing the video button is the only time I get p***ed off with the cameras compactness.

Last edited:
The control I use the most on the G7X is the lovely old ring on the lens, control ring they call it. It's first & foremost an aperture ring, secondly it adjusts ISO when your right thumb rests on the edge of the screen. It adjusts stutter speed in Tv mode and selects all types of other stuff in other modes. Damned clever design, nothing fiddly there.

Accidentally pushing the video button is the only time I get p***ed off with the cameras compactness.

The ring on mine is set to focal range, while the rear dial is set for aperture. I have the ring set that way because if I use the lever zoom thingy, the focal range does not show what focus range I am at.

The ring on mine is set to focal range, while the rear dial is set for aperture. I have the ring set that way because if I use the lever zoom thingy, the focal range does not show what focus range I am at.
Ah yes, I guess that's another way of doing it. But I think I like the way I've got it set up.

BTW I have the digital zoom off. I don't need to know the exact focal length, I instinctively know roughly where I am between min & max (24-100 equiv.) optical zoom. Digital zoom just confuses things, gives a false reading, as it were.

Sounds like the Fujifilm X100/S/T/F range. It's a very tempting proposition, because you can adjust your settings without looking at a screen or EVF. (Even before you switch the camera on.) Didn't feel too small to me, either. APS-C. I'm tempted by teh X100F that's in the Classifieds here, but I need to stop buying stuff! :-/

@snerkler - I agree on 24mm over 28mm, in general. There are a couple of lens add-ons for wide/tele, I think. Have a look over at https://www.grblog.jp/en/article/ for ideas of how people are using the GR. I couldn't afford the GRIII, but the GRII is no slouch:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyKkcqqZJIU

I think the Fujifilm X70 and Panasonic LX100 play in the same bit of the market.

Back