1" compact camera queries.

Ah yes, I guess that's another way of doing it. But I think I like the way I've got it set up.

BTW I have the digital zoom off. I don't need to know the exact focal length, I instinctively know roughly where I am between min & max (24-100 equiv.) optical zoom. Digital zoom just confuses things, gives a false reading, as it were.

Took me ages setting the camera up the way I like it, even to the autumn hues picture profile. On a good day with good light, I can get good photos straight out of camera, as good as, sometimes even better than my old Fuji.

Sounds like the Fujifilm X100/S/T/F range. It's a very tempting proposition, because you can adjust your settings without looking at a screen or EVF. (Even before you switch the camera on.) Didn't feel too small to me, either. APS-C. I'm tempted by teh X100F that's in the Classifieds here, but I need to stop buying stuff! :-/

I think I would find the fixed lens a bit limiting.

I think I would find the fixed lens a bit limiting.

Yes, and the ideal camera has everything, including a zoom to give us all the options we might want for all of the shots we might come across.

But for a small, take-everywhere camera, I think it's OK (even liberating) to limit some options. Plus the OP will have his iPhone with its faux-zoom.

I've kind of lost my mojo and even taking my m4/3 camera out seems like a chore at times, and I wonder if I'd be more likely to take something like this out more often. I could of course end up wasting money on something that I don't use ;)

Sounds to me like you need something in front of the camera that will make you WANT to take pictures, rather than dull regular stuff that's got you bored and trying to rekindle interest using new gear. I think you'd be better off going somewhere interesting for a weekend than buying new but lower quality gear.

If it’s really just for snap shots then stick with phone. Any camera mentioned on this page is overkill for snapshots.
That will depend on the individual I guess (y)

I have got a DSLR with the 35mm 1.8G on it most of the time, IQ pretty good. Small package but still a bit clunky, and a pain to have to carry about, so not used as often as I would have liked. I have a few very low end compacts, ( such as the Canon ixus 82 and the Canon ixus 185 also the Panasonic TZ35/55) all have lower IQ and simple to use, just shoot in jpeg and what you see is what you get, fun to use and easy to carry. Not used very often, as images fall apart at high ISO.

Most enjoyable camera to use, was my Fuji X10. I loved using the camera, it felt good in the hands and it felt like a proper camera. It looked pretty good too, and images were reasonably good, even shooting in jpeg. I could carry it about with me reasonably well, provided I had a large pocket. It stopped working for some unknown reason, if it were not for that, I would still be using it now.

I got the Canon G7X to replace the Fuji X10, while the images are just as good, certainly better as high ISO, the G7X is not as much fun to use. I think I will get another little Fuji at some point, probably when I see one that I like the look of. Oh, and provided that I have the spare cash. :)

Last edited:
I have a few very low end compacts, all have lower IQ and simple to use, just shoot in jpeg and what you see is what you get, fun to use and easy to carry. Not used very often, as images fall apart at high ISO.

I wouldn't say that a 1" camera is a low end compact but they can fit in a pocket and even though my TZ100 may not be the state of the art whole pictures taken at ISO 12,800 are probably comparable or better than ISO 3200 pictures taken with my Canon 5D. That's some progress.

I wouldn't say that a 1" camera is a low end compact but they can fit in a pocket and even though my TZ100 may not be the state of the art whole pictures taken at ISO 12,800 are probably comparable or better than ISO 3200 pictures taken with my Canon 5D. That's some progress.

Dont think so, that larger sensor still does well...

Capture.JPG

Also cleaner at 3200...

2.JPG

Last edited:
Well, I did say whole pictures. Noise may be visible in both 5D and TZ100 pictures and you've shown what will happen if you pixel peep raws before processing but I've found whole high ISO pictures taken with MFT and 1" cameras to look good enough to display on screen and even print and looked at as whole pictures that are fit for use after non heroic processing I think 1" does stand comparison to the 5D.

Well, I did say whole pictures. Noise may be visible in both 5D and TZ100 pictures and you've shown what will happen if you pixel peep raws before processing but I've found whole high ISO pictures taken with MFT and 1" cameras to look good enough to display on screen and even print and looked at as whole pictures that are fit for use after non heroic processing I think 1" does stand comparison to the 5D.

Theres still a massive difference between the 5D left 3200 ISO and TZ100 12800 ISO right. Even viewing the entire scene shrunk down.

See for yourself.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im...3Key=590ab4218da54fab9a18b8c8a91dd21f.acr.jpg

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im...3Key=a7fc319f95d74e188422b9d2b6330a15.acr.jpg

and Tz100 at ISO3200

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im...3Key=8ce4cc29c8b245f7b3126cfca78d816d.acr.jpg

1" can stand comparing at ISO3200, bt theres no way at 12800 its better than the 5d at 3200.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

This part

"I have a few very low end compacts, all have lower IQ and simple to use, just shoot in jpeg and what you see is what you get, fun to use and easy to carry. Not used very often, as images fall apart at high ISO."

I was referring to my lower end Compacts, such as the Panasonic TZ55 and the Canon Ixus 82 and the Canon 185 that I also have. Sorry my fault, I should have mentioned them all by name.

Of course the G7X is NOT a low end Compact. ;)

PS

I have amended my post, and named the poopy Cameras.

Last edited:
ISO 3200 Canon G7X

full

Nikon D3300 Below. ISO 3200

full

Below ISO 6400 Canon G7X

full

Nikon D3300 Below. ISO 6400

full

Just as a comparison.

Last edited:
I think the little Canon G7X hold up pretty well, to an entry level DSLR.

It may be me, but the D3300 seems to have coped much better with the dynamic range at high ISO - there's much better detail in the hand, esp @ ISO6400, and the cup doesn't glare out of the frame so much.

ISO 3200 Canon G7X

full

Nikon D3300 Below. ISO 3200

full

Below ISO 6400 Canon G7X

full

Nikon D3300 Below. ISO 6400

full

Just as a comparison.

Shot as jpg?

The benefits of sensor size are pretty obvious looking at RAW files. Thats not to say the 1" sensor is a poor performer, the cameras are tiny with good zoom range.

3.JPG

Last edited:
It may be me, but the D3300 seems to have coped much better with the dynamic range at high ISO - there's much better detail in the hand, esp @ ISO6400, and the cup doesn't glare out of the frame so much.
Maybe it was just the way the light caught my hand and cup. I may have held the cup at a different angle, causing the light to be slightly better.

What iPhone do you have? The new 11 range is a big step up from previous generations.

I seem to still like my Sony RX100 V and it is so easy to carry around. If you don't pixel peep amongst your bigger gear then it is great. I mainly use it for video as nothing comes close to it I find for shooting random snippets.

I recently pitted it against my Pixel 2 to see how much Google can lift from the images when post processing and was intrigued to find it kept up with the Sony in everything except sheer resolution so for daily snaps it is fine and an iPhone upgrade could be better option such as standard 11 with it's wide and ultra wide lens.

Theres still a massive difference between the 5D left 3200 ISO and TZ100 12800 ISO right. Even viewing the entire scene shrunk down.

See for yourself.

1" can stand comparing at ISO3200, bt theres no way at 12800 its better than the 5d at 3200.

Don't need to see for myself, not on line anyway as I have the pictures I've taken on my pc so in best pantomime voice "Oh yes it can."

This part

"I have a few very low end compacts, all have lower IQ and simple to use, just shoot in jpeg and what you see is what you get, fun to use and easy to carry. Not used very often, as images fall apart at high ISO."

I was referring to my lower end Compacts, such as the Panasonic TZ55 and the Canon Ixus 82 and the Canon 185 that I also have. Sorry my fault, I should have mentioned them all by name.

Of course the G7X is NOT a low end Compact. ;)

PS

I have amended my post, and named the poopy Cameras.

I was thinking about 1" cameras as compact cameras not thinking about teeny tiny sensor compact cameras as they're not great. I have an old Canon Ixus which isn't terrible compared to my phone but my phone isn't new either. Looking at the pictures Mrs ww and her mates take with newer cameras I still don't think the Ixus is terrible.

I was thinking about 1" cameras as compact cameras not thinking about teeny tiny sensor compact cameras as they're not great. I have an old Canon Ixus which isn't terrible compared to my phone but my phone isn't new either. Looking at the pictures Mrs ww and her mates take with newer cameras I still don't think the Ixus is terrible.

I have reasonable photos with my old ixus 82 at base ISO in good light, but upping the ISO and the images fall apart.

full

full

Both images taken with the ixus 82, for some reason software thinks it is an ixus 80.

Last edited:
I have reasonable photos with my old ixus 82 at base ISO in good light, but upping the ISO and the images fall apart.

I have a blue one in a blue case which I think were exclusive to Jessops. I haven't used it for a while but I don't suppose I'd get anything for it if I tried to sell it.

I remember using it to photograph fire damage in a factory once and the picture came out quite nice.

ofRC2WR.jpg

a97jiTf.jpg

Just a thought.. Panasonic GM5 and teeny lens??? That might just be on the money for you quality wise and size wise!

I have a blue one in a blue case which I think were exclusive to Jessops. I haven't used it for a while but I don't suppose I'd get anything for it if I tried to sell it.

I remember using it to photograph fire damage in a factory once and the picture came out quite nice.

ofRC2WR.jpg

a97jiTf.jpg

full

Same in blue, also got it from Jessops.

Last edited:
What iPhone do you have? The new 11 range is a big step up from previous generations.

11 Pro. I like the wide angle (although there’s obvious distortion at the edges) and the night feature, but I’d rather have more control at times. I know you can get apps to give manual control but it all feels a bit clunky to me.

Wife used to have a silver ixus like the above. The images were great from it too.

Gaz

11 Pro. I like the wide angle (although there’s obvious distortion at the edges) and the night feature, but I’d rather have more control at times. I know you can get apps to give manual control but it all feels a bit clunky to me.

Give this a go? It allows you to use ISO or Shutter priority modes to create shots you just can’t get with the native camera app.

I have been looking at switching to the iPhone Pro 11 from the Pixel 2 as hearing good things about the camera. Intrigued to know a bit more on what you shoot with it and what you would like more control over? I wanted it to snap spontaneous bits but worried it might to live up to expecations hence not upgraded phones in a while.

Give this a go? It allows you to use ISO or Shutter priority modes to create shots you just can’t get with the native camera app.

I have been looking at switching to the iPhone Pro 11 from the Pixel 2 as hearing good things about the camera. Intrigued to know a bit more on what you shoot with it and what you would like more control over? I wanted it to snap spontaneous bits but worried it might to live up to expecations hence not upgraded phones in a while.
Don’t get me wrong, the 11 pro definitely has the best camera of any phone I’ve used, and as mentioned the night mode is seriously clever, but it just doesn’t feel right using it as a camera. It’s ok for the odd shot but I’d prefer something ‘more camera like’ to take more pics. Another thing is that I’ve found the X and 11 pro slippery little suckers to hold.

I'm toying with getting a 1" type compact camera for those times that I just can't be bothered to carry a 'proper' camera around, but want something with more flexibility and IQ than my iPhone. I've had the RX100-3 and Canon G7x in the past but only found IQ a bit so so, however I'm getting less picky now and at times have been 'happy' with images took on the phone.

The cameras I've bene looking at are the RX100 up to a mark 5 (I don't want one with the slower lens), Canon G7x-II and G5x-II. I prefer the idea of the Canon's due to the grip mainly, but also the longer reach (105mm and 120mm respectively vs 70mm of the Sony). Of the two the G5x-II looks the better option as it have a longer reach (whilst maintaining f2.8 at the long end) and has a pop up EVF. However, I found the G7x I had to be quite soft in the corners at the wide end, does anyone know if the G7x-II and/or G5x-II suffer the same, and whether the Sony's are better in this regard?

Sometimes images from my G7X mk11 can look a little soft in the corners, evident at the wide end 24mm. Also at 24mm the image can look a little distorted. I think the G7X set to 35 or 50mm gives a more pleasing image.

Sometimes images from my G7X mk11 can look a little soft in the corners, evident at the wide end 24mm. Also at 24mm the image can look a little distorted. I think the G7X set to 35 or 50mm gives a more pleasing image.
Thanks, found this video on youtube, looks like the G7x-III and G5x-II still aren't great at the edges (see 11.56 ish)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOMESFL74mI

If I did not already have the G7X, I think I would look at the Fujifilm X-T20 rather than the G7X mk3. I think they are both similar prices, but surely the Fuji has to be better.
It would be, but it’s not really pocketable.

Back