1 day into sigma 300 ownership :(

Name
Ryan
Edit My Images
No
And it breaks on me.......:bang::bang::bang:

Its second hand, all was perfect met the individual selling it, tested it and was working spot on super quick AF etc...

So today im just testing it in the garden to get used to the weight and it stops focussing, switch it to Manual focus and even then it still wont focus on the body. Checked it on both my bodies and the same :crying:

Anyone come across this issue theselves, if so what was the issue/solution? Burned out motor perhaps.

None appear to be broken, it was working on the body, went to refocus for another shot and nothing.

Gutted as obviously wasnt cheap + meant to be shooting a golf event this weekend and bought my tickets for goodwood next weekend :(

Thats incredibly bad luck if you had a working motor and it dies after a days use! Reset your camera, clean contacts (take the lens off and put it back on), change the focus setting on the camera and see if you get somewhere...

Tried checking contacts were clear, tried lots of shooting modes, different battery (as one was low and didnt want to chance it) lens has been of and on a few times on both bodies and still nothing.

16-35L + 17-35 both work fine on both bodies but the 300 isnt able to focus at all. Id prob only taken 20-30 shots with it. Just praying its not going to cost me alot, as the reason i went second hand was for a good value prime rather than 3k for the canon one id looked at aswell

Right done more playing.

All my lenses when rotating the focus ring the dial inside the lens rotates with it with the measurments etc...

The 300 - not doing it.. So i think its safe to say its officially ****ed.

bugger cant be an af contact issue that truly sucks, sounds like the post to sigma :( poor you, whoever you bought it from might want to contribute something?

I doubt it, even though he seemed a very genuine guy. Cant fault him really for being an arse, made sure I tested the lens before money changed hands etc... So from that side of things he was perfectly fine etc.

Just gutted, as the price was non negotiable as it was 'immaculate' and then the thing dies on me after 24hours and not even 100 photos. Just hoping its fixable and its not going to cost the earth.

means shooting sports isnt going to happen for a bit longer on a prime, thankfully I do have the 70-200 to get by

That's awfull - stories like that just reinforce my aversion to private 2nd hand purchases.

I think sometimes that's just bad luck. Even new lenses can fail, in fact I know of one now about to go back to Canon at less than 6 months old.

The upside is that after a service and repair it should be as good as new.

(Oh and less of the "old" ;))

Have you checked all / any switches on the lens, and by that I mean operate them to check they have not stuck mid position.

I think sometimes that's just bad luck. Even new lenses can fail, in fact I know of one now about to go back to Canon at less than 6 months old.

The upside is that after a service and repair it should be as good as new.

(Oh and less of the "old" ;))

LOL sorry about the old im half asleep

Have you checked all / any switches on the lens, and by that I mean operate them to check they have not stuck mid position.

Yes as im switching between MF/AF to check everything. The focus ring/distance meter should rotate no matter what you are in

If this is a Sigma UK lens, there is a good chance that you might well get the repair done for free.

If in an imported one, you'll have to pay the full tariff.

Give them a call with the serial number and find out :)

Have you tried..... 'Lehmanns Direct' for a quote
Very good for lens service/ repair.
Regards, Alan.

Its outside of the warranty being second hand.

Ive spoken to them and am driving up there to drop the lens off. The said for it to not work how its not 99% of the time its due to it being dropped, obviously its not been dropped by me and was working when i got it so guess im mr 1% lol

Its outside of the warranty being second hand.

Ive spoken to them and am driving up there to drop the lens off. The said for it to not work how its not 99% of the time its due to it being dropped, obviously its not been dropped by me and was working when i got it so guess im mr 1% lol

Standard answer from Sigma for everthing fault related I'm afraid. Good luck

That really is crappy luck, hope you get it sorted out and doesn't cost too much (y)

Are you local to Southend on Sea? If so, I have a 200 2.8L and a 75-300 that are rarely used. They are here for you to borrow if you need to.

Are you local to Southend on Sea? If so, I have a 200 2.8L and a 75-300 that are rarely used. They are here for you to borrow if you need to.

Im Kent based, just thought try and get the lens in sooner than later as i want it back. The offer is much appreciated and respected. Id just worry using someone elses gear incase anything goes wrong again.

I do atleast have a 70-200 IS L to get by with so its not a total loss, just was really looking forward to using the prime.

Id also say the guy who sold it to me has been fantastic, he replied to my question and didnt just ignore it etc... Like i said initially I think he is a genuine guy/enthusiast and just pot luck has happened.

Back