10 stop filter, equipment and location for shots

Name
Dom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I'm off to the lakes soon and I have some ideas of where to go, but I want to get a 10 stop filter and have a go with that. I know most people recomment a filter at over £100 but I really can't afford that. I already have a Cokin P holder and ND grads for that and my main lens is a Canon 15-85mm and I shoot at around 20mm most of the time.

I've heard some things about the Hitech filters but I'm confused by the different sizes they have. I have the Hitech grads so they're fine.

Whilst I'm up that way, I'd really like to have a go at the classic 10 stop shot off sunset over the sea with the rocks and milky water, was wondering if anyone new any locations near the Lakes where I could get that. Don't know the West coast at all.

Thanks,

DOm

The Hitech prostop is 100mmx100mm same as the Lee big stopper and should cost around £70.
If I recall the P holder is meant for 85mm filters, so the prostop wont fit.

You may be better off getting something like the LCW MC ND500 screw in filter for now.

The Hitech prostop is 100mmx100mm same as the Lee big stopper and should cost around £70.
If I recall the P holder is meant for 85mm filters, so the prostop wont fit.

You may be better off getting something like the LCW MC ND500 screw in filter for now.

Hitech do a 85mm version of it as well. That's one of the things that are confusing me. I presume it has something to do with focal length.

Dom

Hitech do a 85mm version of it as well. That's one of the things that are confusing me. I presume it has something to do with focal length.

Dom

It's purely in reference to the physical size of the filter.

There are different size filter holders, so you need the 85mm or 100mm dependent on the size of your holder.

If you've got the Cokin P system, you'll need the 85mm version of the filter.

Just a word of caution if you need your filter soon; it's just taken Formatt 5 weeks to deliver mine.

It's purely in reference to the physical size of the filter.

There are different size filter holders, so you need the 85mm or 100mm dependent on the size of your holder.

If you've got the Cokin P system, you'll need the 85mm version of the filter.

Just a word of caution if you need your filter soon; it's just taken Formatt 5 weeks to deliver mine.

So there's no downside to the 85mm version over the 100mm?

Dom

Ah, I didnt realise there was an 85mm version too.

Its pruely the size of the filter. The 100mm versions are for the z pro holder and the lee/hitech holders.
The 85mm is smaller and will fit the P holder.
The only downsides are if you buy a different holder, it wont fit.

Ok, so I should go for the 85mm version as I have the holder and ND grads? I presume I can use the grads with the big stopper in the same way as normal, i.e. stack them to stop the sky being overexposed?

Any tips for taking ultra long exposures like this? How to find exposure time etc?

Thanks,

Dom

In theory, yes, they would equal an ND3.0 (10 stop).

In practice however, it would be the filter closest to your lens that had the main effect as light would enter between the other filters in the stack thus rendering them pretty much ineffective.

Back