10 stop filter for £2 - really :D

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
I did a test WAAAAYYYY back in this thread with a shade 9 glass and it came out around 11 to 12 stops...

Much more reasonable, I was up at a 1 min exposure from a 1/320th meter reading. So basically unless its perfect light I'll be there all day! Green cast was massive too, much worse than Yins sample shots.

I took a shot with a piece of A4 in and used the WB eye dropper in Lightroom to get close.

Still had a bit of a greeny-yellow cast so I need to work with the colour sliders as well I suspect.

Once I had the basics down I saved it as a preset to apply as and when needed and hopefully gives better results than a custom WB in camera.

Just bought myself a few welding glass filters from ebay, £2.00 each. Really looking forward to having a go with these and will post up some images as and when I get them.

Ive got 4 shades of glass that turned up today: 8, 10, 12 and a 13 all for the princely sum of £4.00 ;)

Gonna rig something up a little later and take a few test shots. Ill post them up as soon as ive got something half decent to show!

Doh, I just spent £50 on a 77mm Hoya Pro1 ND8 filter too :(

I wonder if you can get graduated versions of these filters...

Me too. Plus a filter ring...

Unfortunately the first glass was broke in half... eagerly awaiting the second...

Jerry/Jovial: Post up the green pic? Maybe we can salvage and tell you how we did it... Or just black n white :D

Oh, hi, I didn't see your post.

To be honest I gave up and bought myself a LCW ND500. I've recently used it for the first time and it gives a lovely result!

Yours should be a lot more neutral. Welding glass tends to have a horrible green cast which can be difficult to remove.

Ah well, at least there is always that. I guess the quality control for welding glass doesn't really concern neutral density!

Ive took 1 test shot with the 8 shade welding glass and WOW, how green!!!! Havent processed the image much but am thinking that a mono conversion might be the best option for these shots as they convert to B&W pretty well???

Anyone got any processing tips for converting welding glass shots to colour?

Ive took 1 test shot with the 8 shade welding glass and WOW, how green!!!! Havent processed the image much but am thinking that a mono conversion might be the best option for these shots as they convert to B&W pretty well???

Custom white blance before shooting. Take a frame in good bright sunlight of a white sheet of paper, zoomed in so paper covers full frame. Save (protect) this picture, and use it to set as a custom white balance. Future shots when set to this custom WB will be close enough that a few tweaks in lightroom/cs5 will get things pretty near right.

Last edited:
Doh, I just spent £50 on a 77mm Hoya Pro1 ND8 filter too :(

I wonder if you can get graduated versions of these filters...

ND8 is altogether different - it's only three stops of ND (2x=1, 4x=2, 8x=3 stops). And yes, you can get graduated versions of those.

The numbers on the welding glasses do not translate accurately in photographic terms. I had a number 11 and it was very dark indeed, like 14 stops, which is ND x16,000 :eek:

Try a custom white balance, as described in the camera handbook. Very easy, then keep the reference shot on the memory card and you can go back to it and reset at any time (edit: crossed post with Mark). I found that worked pretty well, but frankly the welding glass thing is only for a bit of fun, to see if you like the results.

If you do, then get the real thing. The LCW ND500 that Jerry mentions is pretty good, and cheapest http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/photog...t-workshop/lcw-nd500mc/-c-60_365_790_791.html

Last edited:
Please don't laugh, if i dont ask the question i will never know.

Can a dark shade of Acrylic Perspex Plastic do the same job as the glass?

Must have been a really really stupid question lol I take the answer to be No!

Not a silly question at all - I guess that nobody's tried it, is all...

If you've got access to the product you mention, perhaps you could try it and let us know?

I haven't any experience of wht they say here about the welding glass, just that colour cast can come into affect the result. Many filters are of resin or plastic. but are manufactured with even distribution, no dark/light spots.

Would that alter a lot of settings if it got brighter all of a sudden.
Like the specs that change when you go from dark to light.
I can see it would helpful, ie darker if brighter but in changing light might cause problems.:thinking:

Posted a few in this thread

Got some weirdness with green casts. Auto WB on camera (haven't bothered to figure out how to change it ;) ) some were heavily green - others only mild.

Capture NX didn't seem to work out properly - will experiment more later. But Gimp under Colours, colour balance I used :
Shadows 3, -8, 5
Mid 13, -14, 13
Highlights 8, -20, 16

Comes out close if a bit dark on a 30s exposure.
Then a new layer on overlay I think - 50% or 60%

ordered some shade 10 glass this morning along with a cheapo uv filter.....cannot wait to give it a whirl

what is the best shade to go for, sorry i know this will be in the thread somewhere but i cant find it lol.

i was a big stopper effect.

Lee

probably shade 8,9 if you can get 'em - 10's about 12-3 stops an the shade 11,12's are even slower... There's a really good reason why they make 10 stop ND's - it's easy on the maths - just multiply the indicated shutter speed by 1000 (well technically 1024, but nobody's going to notice the 24 bit :LOL:)

Looks like i'm a little late to the party however, just got my dad to get me a 9,10 & 11. 60p each from the engineering supply shop he works at. Cannot wait to have a play! :D
Jez

That is a good idea. Just got a 4¼” x 3¼” Parweld Welding Lens lens Glass Shade 10 for £1.43 inc postage. Worth a go at that price!

Cant seem to find circular glass bigger than 50mm otherwise fitting them to old filter rings would be the way to go. I've cut a circle out of a square piece and fitted it to a 77 mm ring. Works well.

this was the one I bought last year... not too bad, certainly much better than faffing around with a welding glass... though, in fairness, I really quite enjoyed all the messing around, as I had a lot of time on my hands back when this thread started, and the distraction was welcome.

Back