100 Strangers Complete!!

#12:100 Strangers - Hollie
by iain blake, on Flickr

Hollie is originally from Leeds but now working and studying in London.

Hollie is an artist/sculptor having had successful exhibitions in her home town of Leeds.

Me - "Is that Hollie with an ie"

Hollie - "Yes, glad you said that"

#13:100 Strangers - Andii
by iain blake, on Flickr

No sooner had I taken Hollie's portrait when I met her friend Andii.

"Thats 2 i's, just to be awkward"

Andii loves fashion and sewing.

Andii is from Fairham,

"A quiet place where not much happens"

I'm on my phone but latest submissions look amazing.

I'll have s better look when I get go my Mac (y)

Had a day out in London today Andy, really enjoyed myself and meeting/chatting to some wonderful people.

Hi Iain

Some more interesting shots and biogs. Not sure about the processing after#10 - have you changed it from the first lot?
Thanks Alan.
I haven't significantly changed the processing no, but differing lighting conditions may have had an effect on the finished look.

Great thread, and some cracking shots.

Thanks Robert

:clap:

It just gets better and better.

I've seen quite a few of these 100 strangers projects but very few as good as this, keep up the good work Iain and thanks for sharing.

:clap:

It just gets better and better.

I've seen quite a few of these 100 strangers projects but very few as good as this, keep up the good work Iain and thanks for sharing.

Thanks Brian,
Yesterday's location, Old Spitalfields Market and Brick Lane have masses of potential for this project, there are just so many interesting people around both locations.

Iain this is fast becoming my favourite thread on TP! Cracking work!

How do you remember the details and little blurbs from each person? Do you make a few notes after each shot?

Thanks Danny,
I take notes after each encounter and sometimes at the time. I feel it is important to pay attention to the details, as in how people spell their names etc.

Well, more wondenness :)

Of the latest, it's #16 for me. Such a confident look on her face, great eye contact and a very complimentary BG.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, yes Rebecca was a confident young woman, friendly and a great model.
The background is a graffiti wall just off Brick Lane, it is little like "the chicken and the egg", find a background or a subject first. This was a happy coincidence, I saw Rebecca, made my approach and saw the wall, I thought it perfect for her look.

#18:100 Strangers - Anna
by iain blake, on Flickr

I approached Anna and her partner to ask her if I could take her portrait. Due to the language barrier, I had difficulty in explaining the 100 strangers project and she initially said,
"No, I don't do photographs"

I thanked Anna for her time and moved on. Anna approached me again and said she had changed her mind.

Anna is from Naples, Italy, I should have guessed that from her fantastic style.

Unfortunately, due to said language barrier, I was unable to find out anything else about Anna.

Thank you Anna.

#19:100 Strangers - Lorenzo
by iain blake, on Flickr

I noticed Lorenzo and his stylish look and again as Anna before, found Lorenzo too was from Italy, Rome to be exact.

Through his friend interpreting, I found that Lorenzo is an artist, painter and also a tattooist.

Thank you Lorenzo.

#21:100 Strangers - Moa
by iain blake, on Flickr

Moa is from Sweden but moved to Camden, London last year to

"Escape having to go to university"

Moa on leaving home, feels that

"Its exciting to do things that scare you"

"I am always a little scared"

Thanks Moa!

#22:100 Strangers - Courtney
by iain blake, on Flickr

Courtney, a New Zealander, like Moa is living and working in Camden having also moved to the UK last year.

"I don't really think too much about the future"

"In 10 years time?"
"Probably living in another country, I love to travel, unless I can meet someone to marry and stay in the UK :0) big smile"

"Oh and have lots of cats"

Thank you Courtney!

#23:100 Strangers - Sia
by iain blake, on Flickr

Sia, "Like the singer, in case you know"

Sorry Sia, I don't know haha!

Sia is from Scotland, I never got around to asking whereabouts though but I am guessing from your accent, somewhere around the West coast, Glasgow?

Sia is living and working as a dancer and dreaming of being in a West end show.

Good luck Sia!

More wonderful photographs Iain.

Hard to pick a favorite, but I rather like Sia. Great smile. Think I can see you on her eyes :)

Are you using a reflector on some to bounce light upwards on to their faces?

Cheers.

More wonderful photographs Iain.

Hard to pick a favorite, but I rather like Sia. Great smile. Think I can see you on her eyes :)

Are you using a reflector on some to bounce light upwards on to their faces?

Cheers.

Thanks Andy (y)
Yes, I am using a reflector to light the portraits.

Yes, Sia has a great smile. I took shots of her not smiling, as thats mainly the 'look' I am after but her friend kept making her laugh.
I did get some with her not smiling but to be honest, she has a fantastic smile and that had to be my choice.

& more super shots Iain....

Sia is just wonderful but the whole set is so darned impressive :clap::clap:

I really admire your ability both with the camera & to be able to go up to strangers , chat with them & come away with such stunning shots (y)

& more super shots Iain....

Sia is just wonderful but the whole set is so darned impressive :clap::clap:

I really admire your ability both with the camera & to be able to go up to strangers , chat with them & come away with such stunning shots (y)

Thanks Lynne (y)
Sia was a wonderful character, she was so friendly and smiley.
All the strangers were to be honest, once one gets over the initial approach, the rest just become easier.
Some are quite taken aback when i use the reflector but really go with it. That then helps to get the shot.

Below is an alternative shot for Sia, stranger #23.
This was what she was wearing when I first noticed her walking, laughing, chatting with her friend.
I chose the other one posted above for the simple reason that I didn't want to detract from her features but the earmuffs lend a quirkier tone to her portrait.

Sia
by iain blake, on Flickr

Very nice Iain every one a gem.

I have to say though that portrait of Lorenzo caught my eye,
he does rather have an Inspector Clouseau (Peter Sellers) look about him (y)

Very nice Iain every one a gem.

I have to say though that portrait of Lorenzo caught my eye,
he does rather have an Inspector Clouseau (Peter Sellers) look about him (y)

Thanks Chris(y)
:D Yes Lorenzo does have a certain look about him, the trilby hat and the moustache/beard combo does that I think.

Superb! but i prefer her without the earmuffs...

Sia (the singer) sang "breathe me" one of my favourite songs ever... You tube it Iain!

Any chance of sharing a little technical info Iain? how are you shooting these? You mentioned a reflector... are you on your own?

Superb! but i prefer her without the earmuffs...

Sia (the singer) sang "breathe me" one of my favourite songs ever... You tube it Iain!

Any chance of sharing a little technical info Iain? how are you shooting these? You mentioned a reflector... are you on your own?

Thanks Brian,
I too prefer the image without earmuffs, it was just that they initially caught my eye.

I will have to search for Sia (the singer).

A little technical info? Of course. Every portrait has been shot with my 50mm lens on a full frame camera so I am quite close to the subject. Wide aperture, typically around f2. Not that there has been a great deal of sun, but I have posed most subjects in shade and used a reflector to throw some light back.

I use a lastolite tri-grip reflector 72cm size, it's big enough to throw a lot of light but still being manageable for me to hold with one hand and shoot with the other. I have asked some of my subjects friends to hold the reflector. In the case of Sia, I sat her at a table outside a coffee shop and was able to rest the reflector on the table.

Using the reflector does raise a smile in most, it lightens things a little, in more ways than one. It's compact enough, that I bungee it onto my camera bag so as it's not obtrusive. That's about it for technical info Brian, hope that answers your question.

That's great, thanks for your help Iain. Your project is making me think about how you are achieving these great shots so that I might try and improve my own street portraits. I must confess to owning an almost un-used reflector for about 2 years now, I need to work up the confidence to use it in public, perhaps it would help if I took it with me on shoots! :D

That's great, thanks for your help Iain. Your project is making me think about how you are achieving these great shots so that I might try and improve my own street portraits. I must confess to owning an almost un-used reflector for about 2 years now, I need to work up the confidence to use it in public, perhaps it would help if I took it with me on shoots! :D

I would highly recommend the 100 strangers project Brian.
My main purpose in starting it was to improve my people photography and there are an abundance of people on the street (obviously) to practice on. I know my shots are quite formulaic but that was my intention. I wish to put it together as a cohesive panel. Once the first 100 are done, I intend to continue, but with a different slant on it, perhaps full length shots, having the subjects pose even more.
There are also those people shots where it could be described as a vertical tryptich, you know, head, middle and feet? The list isn't quite endless but there are a lot of variations on the theme.

:D The reflector has been invaluable I must admit, get it used man, it's no use in the house:D

Super ace Iain. It's good to see this progressing so nicely, loving all the different characters and it looks like you're having fun with it too and that shows in the photographs!

Super ace Iain. It's good to see this progressing so nicely, loving all the different characters and it looks like you're having fun with it too and that shows in the photographs!

Thanks T :D
I am having fun with it. I get a real buzz from it, interacting with the strangers, taking their portrait is only one part of it.
I am glad you said that my having fun shows in the portraits, someone else said that over in the flickr group where I post these. I hope to develop a style/look to my portraits so as they are recognisable as mine and they have a cohesive look to them, as I mentioned to Brian above.

I think I might just be addicted to this project.
It has become something of an obsession. How did I come to this conclusion?

Well, after a double shift at work yesterday, first one starting at 0700 finishing mid afternoon, second one out the house late evening not returning until 0500, today I found myself shooting my project again in Cambridge.

It was freezing walking around but I managed to shoot 4 strangers portraits, 3 people declined to having their portrait taken which isn't too bad.

This project has really given me the impetus to get out there shooting and using my camera.

Images to follow a little later, I am not long home and thawed out :D

I bottled it today Iain - was far to cold for me... I think my chattering teeth may have made people think I was a loon... :D

It was bitterly cold in Cambridge today Marcus, I am surprised I got some portraits where people weren't fully wrapped up against the cold.

Back