100 Strangers Complete!!

blakester

Shine On Harvest Moon
Name
Iain
Edit My Images
No
Having bowed out of last years 52 project at the halfway point, I have since wanted to embark on another project.
I want to take my photography in a different direction and wasn't entirely sure how to accomplish that as I wanted to shoot more people photography.

Inspired by the "Humans of New York" photography blog on Facebook, I researched further and found a 100 strangers group on Flickr which ticked all the boxes for my people photography.

So, today I got the project off the ground with a visit to Cambridge. The ethos of the project is to engage with complete strangers, find out a little about the person and take their portrait. I got off to a bit of a false start. I engaged with an elderly gent who was sitting quietly on a bench in the city centre market square. I don't actually know what drew me to him but once we got chatting, I found he was a fellow Scot, hailing from not too far from where I was brought up but had lived and worked in England for around 50 years. After around 30 minutes, we parted company. I never got his portrait but felt that was immaterial, I had engaged with a stranger which is just as significant in the project.

I will use this thread as something of a blog for my project. I haven't put a timescale on it, its a bit of a coincidence I am starting this at the beginning of the year so i will see where it takes me and however long it takes too.

I will post each of my strangers into their own part of the thread rather than bulk upload to one post.

1/100 - Ella
2/100 - Abbie
3/100 - Fiona
4/100 - John
5/100 - Clare
6/100 - Emma
7/100 - Paul
8/100 - Nikki
9/100 - Lesley
10/100 - Colin
11/100 - Lucy
12/100 - Hollie
13/100 - Andii
14/100 - Ross
15/100 - Manuela
16/100 - Rebecca
17/100 - Giacomo
18/100 - Anna
19/100 - Lorenzo
20/100 - Adam
21/100 - Moa
22/100 - Courtney
23/100 - Sia
24/100 - Roger
25/100 - Sally
26/100 - Martha
27/100 - Ker
28/100 - Cindy
29/100 - Denise
30/100 - Lydia
Story So Far
31/100 - Alison
32/100 - Jendayi
33/100 - Sophie
34/100 - Simon
35/100 - Osvaldo
36/100 - Catriona
37/100 - Sadie
38/100 - Chris
39/100 - Clare
40/100 - Nick
41/100 - Emma
42/100 - Laura
43/100 - Cayelan
44/100 - Brooke
45/100 - Ellen
46/100 - Ting
47/100 - Taffy
48/100 - Emma
49/100 - Ivan
50/100 - Jasmine
51/100 - Alaa
52/100 - Tim
53/100 - Na
54/100 - Gillian
55/100 - Kate
56/100 - Karina
57/100 - Abby
58/100 - Muneer
59/100 - Amy
60/100 - Chloe
61/100 - Viola
62/100 - Gary
63/100 - Susannah
64/100 - George
65/100 - Richard
66/100 - Carla
67/100 - Lydia
68/100 - Rosie
69/100 - Tanya
70/100 - Roisin
71/100 - Gina
72/100 - Sue
73/100 - Cleo
74/100 - Daniel
75/100 - Kate
76/100 - Kerry
77/100 - Amy
78/100 - Christopher
79/100 - Maria
80/100 - Charlotte
81/100 - Alice
82/100 - Catherine
83/100 - Emily
84/100 - James
85/100 - Shuo
86/100 - Habib
87/100 - Matti
88/100 - Kate
89/100 - Kate
90/100 - Rachel
91/100 - Ruthie
92/100 - Hazel
93/100 - Megan
94/100 - Elam
95/100 - Rachel
96/100 - Nikki
97/100 - Mick
98/100 - Sarah
99/100 - Gemma
100/100 - Gill

Last edited:
Stranger #1/100 - Ella

#1:100 Strangers - Ella
by iain blake, on Flickr

Ella was stranger #1 in my photography project of 100 strangers.

I saw Ella sitting outside a coffee shop in Cambridge as I walked past. I continued walking but eventually did an about turn and thought I must get the project underway. As I returned towards Ella, she had begun walking herself. I made my approach and to my delight, Ella agreed to have her portrait taken.

We walked a short distance to a set of steps where Ella sat patiently whilst I took her portrait.

Ella worked in a nearby lingerie shop and with that, she had to go.

Thank you Ella!

Stranger #2 - Abbie

#2:100 Strangers - Abbie
by iain blake, on Flickr

Abbie was stranger #2 in my project.

I saw Abbie sitting having a coffee and cigarette whilst browsing her mobile phone. I waited until she had put her phone down until i approached and asked to take her portrait. She readily agreed and asked how she should pose, and whether or not to make eye contact. During taking her photograph, Abbie explained she worked in a local hairdressers, that would explain her interaction with the camera.

Thank you Abbie!

Stranger #3 - Fiona

#3:100 Strangers - Fiona
by iain blake, on Flickr

#3 stranger was Fiona, no surprise as to what I first noticed about her, the striking pink hair and faux fur leopard print jacket.

I found out that Fiona was a 3rd year photography student of Nottingham Trent University so she was again, a perfect model in her understanding of my aim.

Fiona was undecided in her future and as to what direction her photography will take, fashion and hairdressing were a few of the options. Good luck for your future Fiona.

Thank-you Fiona!

Stranger #4 - John

#4:100 Strangers - John
by iain blake, on Flickr

Shortly after taking Fiona's portrait, I saw John and his wonderful moustache. He agreed to be #4 stranger.

John lives local to Cambridge and is managing director of a business to skills consultancy.

John was visiting Cambridge with family and having a stroll around the city.

Thank you John!

Now this is something that really appeals to me so i am now fully subscribed...

I like the the fact you are including a little about the person as well and not just the stranger 12345 etc..

Processing is right up my street too and lovely lighting..

#4 is moustache.. oh my how cool is that:D:D:D

Marvellous stuff Iain, a rather large departure from what I have known you for through your 18 months in the 52's.

An excellent start, John's moustache is indeed a sight to behold. :) the shallow DOF really stands out on all of these 4, but here I find it the most suitable, really bringing that feature to prominence.

Abbie is great too, beautiful light with a fantastically muted background to really make her pop.

cool idea.......... good luck matey!

I'd love to do similar, but i was told from a young age not to talk to strangers...... ;-)

Now this is something that really appeals to me so i am now fully subscribed...

I like the the fact you are including a little about the person as well and not just the stranger 12345 etc..

Processing is right up my street too and lovely lighting..

#4 is moustache.. oh my how cool is that:D:D:D

Thanks T :D
this project is as much about the engagement of the person as the taking their portrait.
That side of things needs a little improving, I don't want to sound like i am interviewing them so its as much as I can do to bring out the conversation.
It will be on a person to person basis but I need to think up some questions to draw information out.

Marvellous stuff Iain, a rather large departure from what I have known you for through your 18 months in the 52's.

An excellent start, John's moustache is indeed a sight to behold. :) the shallow DOF really stands out on all of these 4, but here I find it the most suitable, really bringing that feature to prominence.

Abbie is great too, beautiful light with a fantastically muted background to really make her pop.

Thanks Graham, yes i agree it is such a departure from my 52 stuff. That is the sole reason for doing this, to shift away from what I was used to shooting, out of my comfort zone and to move my photography along.

Yes Johns moustache was what caught my eye.
My first day shooting the project and it has really caught my enthusiasm. I can't wait to get out shooting again.

It was a big step to start this and approach my first stranger but ultimately painless. I was guided by my instinct in approaching strangers, not asking anyone who appeared to be in a rush, not interrupting people etc.

cool idea.......... good luck matey!

Cheers Lynton (y)
Thanks!

just looked through the pics in more detail... love the pp, and that tash is awesome, sure he is not "(ex) W Cmdr John"... going to bookmark this thread..

just looked through the pics in more detail... love the pp, and that tash is awesome, sure he is not "(ex) W Cmdr John"... going to bookmark this thread..

Lovely fella he was Lynton.
Said yes to having his portrait taken without hesitation. He gave me his card with his details on, I am having cards printed but they have not arrived yet.
He is a managing director of a business skills company bit may well have been ex-military, he was wearing a leather flying jacket in keeping with the moustache.

Ooooo excellent idea Iain, a real good bunch for your first victims, agree that the tash guy is a splendid find/capture, look forward to seing who you capture and where next (y)

Thanks Dean (y)
I want to have as big a cross section of the population as possible in my 100 strangers project so am pleased with how its started.

Excellent idea Iain, must be a bit daunting but your off to a great start (y) if there's one thing I don't get on with its portraits.

Not sure what, but there's something about the first shot, that to me, makes it stand out from the others :) Good look with the other 96 :)

Excellent idea Iain, must be a bit daunting but your off to a great start (y) if there's one thing I don't get on with its portraits.

Not sure what, but there's something about the first shot, that to me, makes it stand out from the others :) Good look with the other 96 :)

Thanks Phil (y)
Yes, it was a bit daunting at first but I thought "Whats the worst that can happen?" they say no. I was prepared for that, luckily it didn't happen but had it done, I would have thanked them and moved on.

I really want to bring my people photography on and thought this was the best way for me to work on that.
I like street photography and although this is a little different being street portraiture, there is a wealth of subjects out there.

Thanks

This is a fantastic project Lian and one i would never have the courage to embark on.
I wish you good luck on your travels :)

Thanks Kev (y)
You might just surprise yourself if you were to give it a go ;)

Great start Iain - I'll definately follow with interest :D

I'm only x10 people into my x100 Strangers project so far and really need to make further progress into it in 2015 (y)

Subscribed.

I ain't got the bottle to do people photography.

Cracking start, great eye contact, superb 'tash and the processing works well.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy (y)
As mentioned to Kev above, I am sure you too would be surprised.
People are people, and they are very approachable. All the subjects today were surprised when I spoke to them but ultimately agreeable to my photographing.
I think I have found a real passion for this genre of photography. Im hooked :D

Great start Iain - I'll definately follow with interest :D

I'm only x10 people into my x100 Strangers project so far and really need to make further progress into it in 2015 (y)

Thanks Marcus (y)
Whereabouts are you hosting your strangers project? I would be very interested in taking a look.

Hi Iain, I trust all is well I haven't heard from you of late. I hope you had a fantastic Christmas and new year, just had a look at your thread. It sounds like you have come up with a cracking idea for a new project to keep you busy. And you haven't failed you have got some cracking images to kick start thinfs off with. I think Abbie and Fiona's pics really stand out for me, with Abbie I like the composition of the image, her expression on her face and with Fiona the pink hair looks great she gives of the impression that she is quite an interesting person. I look forward to seeing how this thread progresses.

Hi Iain, I trust all is well I haven't heard from you of late. I hope you had a fantastic Christmas and new year, just had a look at your thread. It sounds like you have come up with a cracking idea for a new project to keep you busy. And you haven't failed you have got some cracking images to kick start thinfs off with. I think Abbie and Fiona's pics really stand out for me, with Abbie I like the composition of the image, her expression on her face and with Fiona the pink hair looks great she gives of the impression that she is quite an interesting person. I look forward to seeing how this thread progresses.

Hi Mandy, thanks, yes all is well here, how are you doing?

Its early days in the project obviously but I am looking forward to what it will bring. :)

Hi Mandy, thanks, yes all is well here, how are you doing?

Its early days in the project obviously but I am looking forward to what it will bring. :)

I am great thanks since we last spoke, I have now got my self a full time job with buildbase been there nearly 4 months. I am also working on the digital photo professional photography diploma. My little motorbike I still going great guns, first mot due soon.

AWE WOW Iain these portraits are stonking.

and I love the consistent shape with tight top/bottom crop.

AWE WOW Iain these portraits are stonking.

and I love the consistent shape with tight top/bottom crop.

Thanks David (y)
Thats my intention, to keep a consistency and 'look' throughout the series so that although every portrait will be a different person, they will sit together well as a panel.

top tip.. question NOT to ask.. "Can I have your phone number please?"

:)

I remember a TP meet is Cambridge with Slimbert , Ryan and some others.. think you might have been there as well.. In cambridge, locals are used to cameras, with it being very touristy..... myself and Don Slim tried it in Norwich the week after and well it was , shall we say, not well received... looking forward to more pics.

top tip.. question NOT to ask.. "Can I have your phone number please?"

:)

I am having cards made up with my contact details on Lynton to hand to each stranger whose photograph I take.
It will be a completely one sided arrangement to begin with. If any of the strangers wish to get in touch for a copy of their portrait, it would be welcome.

Ex Wing Commander John has already been in touch as I sent him his photograph. As the project progresses, I hope it develops into making contact with people beyond the initial encounter. Well that's what I hope for.

I remember a TP meet is Cambridge with Slimbert , Ryan and some others.. think you might have been there as well.. In cambridge, locals are used to cameras, with it being very touristy..... myself and Don Slim tried it in Norwich the week after and well it was , shall we say, not well received... looking forward to more pics.

The thing is though Lynton, all the strangers above were ordinary people on the street who probably aren't the usual subject of tourist photography. However, I get what you are saying about certain places being more camera friendly. I expect London to be a wealth of opportunity for stranger photography but my nearest town is Braintree which I can imagine less so :D

Oh Iain, you have Freeport on your doorstep. I challenge you 100 photo's in a day. Ok, 20. No (fake) Burberry or Tommy Hilfiger, or SuperDry (whatever that is) Chav free as well! Te stakes are a bottle of bells verses the equivalent value for a teetotal Jock.. :) (I am going to lose this one!)

Oh Iain, you have Freeport on your doorstep. I challenge you 100 photo's in a day. Ok, 20. No (fake) Burberry or Tommy Hilfiger, or SuperDry (whatever that is) Chav free as well! Te stakes are a bottle of bells verses the equivalent value for a teetotal Jock.. :) (I am going to lose this one!)

:D You are such a cynic Lynton.
That's quite a challenge ;)

Nice Stuff Iain, Im following(y)

Thanks Jason (y)

i know, and I set the stakes high. Accepted challenge?

I love the idea of your challenge Iain ... I'm sure you will meet some really interesting people along the way. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it progresses ... it's on my watch list.....good luck.

Thanks Susie, I like your thinking on seeing it as a journey, meeting people along the way.

i know, and I set the stakes high. Accepted challenge?

I will defer on that for the moment Lynton, I prefer to see how the project develops :)

I started one of these a couple of years ago, I've since gotten more involved with event type photography and although I always ask the person I'm photographing their permission and usually get quite a bit of background about them for some reason I don't add them to my 100 strangers o_O Maybe I should.

Good luck with it, it is a very good way of improving your portrait and people skills. With a little encouragement you can get people to pose ever so slightly.

Some lovely photos here Iain. Totally agree that keeping the same "look" throughout your images really works well and means a book, or a panel, or whatever will work just because the images are all processed similarly. I personally love that "slightly-cross-proccesed" look too.

"Head & Shoulders" also works to add more character to your subjects. Gives them personality. One thing that I like (others may think differently) is that in #2 (and #1 to some degree) you have the subjects body slightly angled which makes for a better image than the flat-on poses in 3 & 4.

Brave stuff!

I started one of these a couple of years ago, I've since gotten more involved with event type photography and although I always ask the person I'm photographing their permission and usually get quite a bit of background about them for some reason I don't add them to my 100 strangers o_O Maybe I should.

Good luck with it, it is a very good way of improving your portrait and people skills. With a little encouragement you can get people to pose ever so slightly.

Thanks Mark.
I am sure the project and I will evolve as it goes on, the few that I shot yesterday were very receptive to my photographing them. Re posing, that's something I will work on too.

Some lovely photos here Iain. Totally agree that keeping the same "look" throughout your images really works well and means a book, or a panel, or whatever will work just because the images are all processed similarly. I personally love that "slightly-cross-proccesed" look too.

"Head & Shoulders" also works to add more character to your subjects. Gives them personality. One thing that I like (others may think differently) is that in #2 (and #1 to some degree) you have the subjects body slightly angled which makes for a better image than the flat-on poses in 3 & 4.

Brave stuff!

Thanks Ian, I agree, the 3/4 pose works better.
Something I will work on, along with the dialogue, I need to have a few questions to bring more out of people.

Back