101 seconds on skye

Edit My Images
Yes
Had a miserable time on Skye recently with lots of wind and rain. When the rain did stop low cloud hid all the peaks. I decided to try something different and use my b&w screw in 10 stop filter to try and "see" as much of Marsco & Sgur Nan Guillen as the clouds sped with the wind.
The purple hue to the sky (from the filter) might not be to everyones taste but decided not to remove it as it looked better than shades of grey. The clouds curving and rushing round Sgur Nan Guillen really appeals to me showing the oft invisible wind.
i shall return to that exact location in better weather as I really like the line of rocks running up the river.

f/16, 101 sec, iso 50

MarscoSgurNanGuillen.jpg

c&c welcome

thanks

dave

that is extraordinarily good
I am unworthy to worship at your feet! :clap:

Fantastic. Really beautiful. Thinking about visiting next month.

Cracking shot nice low angle and a lovely composition - well worth a bit of rain and wind to get this.

I think the purple hue is very effective and I would leave in but which filter was it?

Tom

Absolute belter!

Just goes to show that you don't need fluffy sunsets and sunshine to make a fantastic, dramatic image with lots of emotion.

Absolutely stonkingly amazing. Not only that, but I was sitting in a cafe about 2 hours ago, looking at a photo of the Forth Bridge, and I saw a technique had been used which looks very similar to what you have done.

Very impressed!

Gary.

just one word "stunning"

Indeed an impressive picture. Gives me the feel of another planet with the purple cast to the sky.

Fantabulous!

This is beautifully surreal - great capture - like it a lot. :clap:

I really love this shot. One of the best I've ever seen on here. It should be on a canvas. In my living room preferably.

What is a 10 stop filter? Thanks.

Thats a lovely image, a wall hanger! Well done - the water has a superb texture - almost silk!

WOWZA!!

Im loving this shot!! perfect in every way!! very well captured..

Love the composition, with the FG rocks anchoring the image very well, but I'm struggling a bit with the purple sky, but as you say, it's not to everyone's taste.

It looks very dark down the right hand side, but otherwise it's very nice.

I imagine it is better for the tint to the clouds, though it's a bit much on the rocks/mid-ground for my tastes.

Overall, a good moody shot, with a really nice composition, although possibly it's a touch tight on the main rock at the bottom right.

Great shot... My only gripe is the vignetting is slightly uneven (darker down the left) which is slightly distracting but certainly doesn't spoil a superbly composed and executed shot.
Get it onto canvas...

Great shot, love the texture of the water, I hope I get a shot like that at some point in my life!!

Stunning shot mate. :clap:

Same question. What is a 10 stop filter?

it's a neutral density filter that lets less amount of light through, thus slowing down the shot by 10stops worth of shutter speed. so, it gives you longer exposures, creating the misty water effects and the cloud drag effects.....

hopefully that explanation makes sense....

cracking shot by the way. i'm heading over for a day in the next couple of weeks and am really looking forward to it!

Can only echo what everyone else has said really... great shot (y)

smithphoto and chris green, like nolwer pionted out its a very very dark ND filter (designed to take pictures of super bright things like furnaces) which allows very very long exposures in broad daylight. the B&W one i have costs around £54 and handy to have for something a wee bit different.

thanks everyone for the comments and crit.

dave

Are my eyes packing up on me? I could swear it's considerably darker on the right.

Damnit...Gotto stop reading threads in the mirror.... :bang::bang:

Right I meant, indeed....

Back