101 seconds on skye

no bother smithphoto. as some have mentioned in this thread there are areas of light and dark. having the camera on bulb and trialling varied length of exposures and checking histogram to see if you need longer or shorter speeds means quite a bit of trial and error, not the best situation with unpredictable skye (or british) weather haha!!!

dave

Very nice shot, works for me...

the weather is severly limiting all of us "landscape fans" at the moment, last landscape shot I managed in decent weather was about 2 months ago...roll on winter so we can get some decent shots ;)

simon

Well it's lonely being me sometimes.

I have to go against the vast swell of popular opinion here and say it's not really doing it for me. I love the effect of the clouds around the mountains and I could look at that all day but the foreground doesn't sit well for me.

The combo of the fast water leaving lines exiting the frame like that and the curve of river banking across frame in the shape it does leaves the frame lopping to the left in my eye.

Not meaning to be critical but it didn't seem fair to say I didn't like it without giving some insight into why.

I know what you mean about the cuillins.

I might bump into you then, as I will likely be there in Sept.

Alex

alex i will be there with gf for one night on thurs 11th sept, we are doing lewis and harris before then and hoping over to skye on the ferry so lots of new places to see!
when are you off to skye?

dave

It will likely be around the 18th -22nd

Lewis and Harris are on my to do list also, fantastic scenery. Going to do an Isle hope next year some time for a month or so.

That is one beautiful dream-like shot! A brilliant capture, and a good example of how you can salvage something out of a day of bad lighting and weather.
Great work.

Absolutely. Incredible.

Nothing else describes it, fantastic shot.

Super composition with a nice lead line from the rocks taking you all the way into the background. Cool skye emphasising the weather and holding the background well.

The odd purple colour is offputting. I think you could really benefit from putting a bit more work into this one. Some levels adjustment to enhance the contrast, increast the exposure/brightness a tad, and maybe a mono conversion?

Great thinking to put the 10-stop filter on. I've got a very similar shot with just a 0.9 ND and whilst it has the water movement, the sky is stationary and the sky really makes your shot.

I'm in awe of this picture it is in my mind what I hope to achieve one day.

thanks everyone again for taking the time to comment

for tobers, thanks for your indepth input, believe it or not despite using the 10 stop ND i also used a 0.9 soft ND grad to help balance out the scene, the other good thing about using such a long exposure is the level of detail that reveals itself under the water.

thanks

dave

Good work Dave - the detail under the water is particularly attractive. I'll often slap a polariser on top of the ND110. Makes for a boring several minutes trying several bulb exposures of 2 mins+ each to get it right :)

Great shot. The way to make the best of bad weather. The landscape has taken on an amazing table top quality.
Looking out at the Cuillin right now the sky is pink, blue and, yes purple. The mountain tops are sheathed in cloud.
Hope you all have good weather in September, I'll have a word with the council.

Just to give you a taste this was the sky 10 minutes ago looking west.

ss1.jpg

very very good, especially like the way light comes from the top of the sky behind the mountains.

beautiful.

I am a fan of the ND10 and carry one for such use. You have used it to best effect here and not forgotten all the other things that contribute to making a great image. Well done! (y)

Hi Gary, i tend to get the filter out when weather is not the best to try and make something out of nothing, have you used the filter in other conditions, i heard on another forum that on sunny days it can act like a warm up filter as opposed to having the magenta cast.

Hi Gary, i tend to get the filter out when weather is not the best to try and make something out of nothing, have you used the filter in other conditions, i heard on another forum that on sunny days it can act like a warm up filter as opposed to having the magenta cast.

I have used it where conditions are so bright that no movement can be recorded but is required or desired. It is also good in situations where you want to get rid of people (they move around enough so as not to register).

The cast issue is not one I have had as mine seems to be neutral however if using CS3 try adjusting individual channels in the curves dialog.

HTH! (y)

I think I know the photographer that Edinburgh Gary refers to (I believe it might be Duncan Smith who was the person that suggested this filter to me) and his Forth Bridge shots are awesome!

what brand of filter do you have then gary?

i was planning to do some glasgow shots in the city centre and making the people vanish!!

will google duncan smith and see if i can have a look at the images.

dave

thanks pete and hillwalking girl

Mine's a B&W

You'll find Duncan on Flickr.

(y)

That coast of yours will have more accessible sunset times now. Should we arrange a mini-meet? :)

hi gary, you are right, the sun set at 2114 tonight, i think a mini meet is a great idea, i am out with the camera most nights and with the gf offshore all month i would prob make most days.

dave

That's a fantastic shot. :clap:

It's real proof that even on a day where the weather seems to be against togs then you can still pull out some fantastic shots if you look in the right place.

Wow - Dave that is a cracker mate!!

Hope you canf ree up some wall space for a print :)

Back