101 ways to ruin a roll of film

robhooley167 said:
Could be worse, I very nearly sneezed into my 5Dmk2 sensor this afternoon when I was cleaning it, would have been a very expensive cockup

Ouuuuuch.
Think we all need to recognise that tickle & prepare before we sneeze & destroy films/sensors! Hahaha.

robhooley167 said:
Could be worse, i very nearly sneezed into my 5Dmk2 sensor this afternoon when i was cleaning it, would have been a very expensive cockup

Some might say that it would have improved your pictures! :p ;)

Just went to load a new film into the camera, without realising it was already loaded. Luckily it was just cheap stuff...

Going to have to adopt a military approach with a chain hanging off it for loaded and unloaded given how rarely I use it.

Just went to load a new film into the camera, without realising it was already loaded. Luckily it was just cheap stuff...

Going to have to adopt a military approach with a chain hanging off it for loaded and unloaded given how rarely I use it.

I have this problem with some of my cameras with no viewing window! How am I meant to know what's in there? D:

Shot half a roll of Ektar with a yellow filter on a couple of weeks ago :(

mothdust said:
I have this problem with some of my cameras with no viewing window! How am I meant to know what's in there? D:

Yeah, that's definitely an oversight with my olympus. I guess the best thing to do is make sure the spool is done and removed and not load another till your ready.

Yeah, that's definitely an oversight with my olympus. I guess the best thing to do is make sure the spool is done and removed and not load another till your ready.

Most of the time I'm just wondering if it's colour or b/w film in there!

Just spent an HOUR failing miserably to get the d**n film onto the spiral in my new dark bag.:bang:

Eventually managed it but was not entirely convinced it was on right so just went ahead and developed it. Thought I might as well have the practice even though I reckon it is stuffed. :(

It is currently hanging in the bathroom and I will look at it in the morning.

I think I need a dark bag the size of my flat!

Heather

Just spent an HOUR failing miserably to get the d**n film onto the spiral in my new dark bag.:bang:

Eventually managed it but was not entirely convinced it was on right so just went ahead and developed it. Thought I might as well have the practice even though I reckon it is stuffed. :(

It is currently hanging in the bathroom and I will look at it in the morning.

Heather

in my blurry eyed just got up state i thought it said i am i was thinking wow she took it really hard poor thing ,,,,,,:D

Heather

That's the bit I could never manage even in a full sized dark room! Drove me nuts. Why hasn't someone invented a film loading spiral that is actually easy to use? It must be possible!

That's the bit I could never manage even in a full sized dark room! Drove me nuts. Why hasn't someone invented a film loading spiral that is actually easy to use? It must be possible!

erm just practice and the spiral has to be perfectly dry and I've found it's no problem on the different versions and makes I've used. even got one where the spiral is sagging cos I used a hair dryer on it. My moan is the lid on one/some is not very well designed as I've carried one full of chemicals holding the lid when it wasn't screwed on properly and the rest of tank crashed to the ground and everything was ruined :crying:

Last edited:
in my blurry eyed just got up state i thought it said i am i was thinking wow she took it really hard poor thing ,,,,,,:D

..don't think I wasn't tempted!:LOL:

Just had a quick look and apart from the creases and scratches not too bad!

......better than the first one I did that I dropped on the floor so it was scratched AND dusty........:D

Still, it's been really satisfying to do it myself (with thanks to Steve for patience and help!)

Heather

erm just practice and the spiral has to be perfectly dry and I've found it's no problem on the different versions and makes I've used. even got one where the spiral is sagging cos I used a hair dryer on it. My moan is the lid on one/some is not very well designed as I've carried one full of chemicals holding the lid when it wasn't screwed on properly and the rest of tank crashed to the ground and everything was ruined :crying:

Oh yes, just another little thing I had to deal with was having to re-wash my spirals as my cat decided to pee on them!

....so then I had to make sure they were dry again.

Heather

Tigger.ufo said:
Oh yes, just another little thing I had to deal with was having to re-wash my spirals as my cat decided to pee on them!

Heather

Your cat peed on them!?!? That did make me laugh! ;)

Heather

erm where do you keep your gear in next door's garden :LOL:

Some films I've found to be easier than others, my first film that I developed at home was unfortunately a roll of Fomapan 200 which was just so curly and thin that I couldn't get it on the reel for about half an hour and when I finally did and started advancing it it got stuck about half way through! Eventually (with the lights out) my dad put his hands in the changing bag and determined that basically it had kinked to such an extent that it would not be able to advance anymore. Eventually he simply cut the kinked frame out and after finishing putting the original strip on the reel he also wound the second bit on as well! It worked and I got some nice pictures out of it.

Kodak Tri-X, Fuji Acros and Agfa APX 100 in comparison just went on relatively easily, Fomapan 100 however was a different story in that it got stuck again with about 15cm to go. I could't find a kink so eventually I just wrapped the rest around the spiral and hoped for the best - it came out fine.

Heather

Ah you can rely on good old Benji the savage.....:)

..don't think I wasn't tempted!:LOL:

Just had a quick look and apart from the creases and scratches not too bad!

......better than the first one I did that I dropped on the floor so it was scratched AND dusty........:D

Still, it's been really satisfying to do it myself (with thanks to Steve for patience and help!)

Heather

Well being as the film that I have just scanned for you looked like it had the entire cast of riverdance dancing on it ;), I was pleasantly surprised as It didn't look to bad...Particually liked the car and garden fork images..

Blast! Just manage to tear a film at the spool trying to get it out of the OM10, I think the ratchet didn't release so I was just stretching the film when I was turning the re-winder.
Irritatingly I usually open the camera in the dark bag after a film failed to reload properly many years ago but I was in a hurry to leave the office so just opened the back when the tension released and there was my nice pictures in a roll on the pick up reel. Drat!

The worst of it was I've got another roll of film I've been waiting on this one to finish to put them both into develop.

Last edited:
With a bit of luck the shots on the centre of the roll will be fine as long as it didn't all spiral out of the camera.

Take your camera to a local friendly processors and they'll usually sort it if they can.

They all came a tumbling out when I opened the back. Nothing irreplaceable just irritating, plus it was the first roll of "decent" colour film I'd shot it months.

Not sure if its worth running another cheap film through it to check the rewind mechanism before I run some slide film through.

I have a roll of Poundland Kodak film that I use to just check the functionality of film advance and rewind before I put a 'proper' film in to test it.

Not much use to you now I now but it's only something I started doing after trashing good film in untested cameras.

The rewind is usually fine, I've had this camera for years, but its getting old and I worry that things might fail unexpectedly. Might see if I can get down to poundland and get a spool and try just this.

I wondered how long it would take for this thread to come back :D

There's always one more way to ruin a film :LOL:

I have one to add, it's a repeat but hey, when i was out shooting with Asha when he came over to the dark side of the channel (for him :D ) i got mixed up with my FP4 and Agfa Vista, so i shoot my 24 exp FP4 to frame number 39 and my 36 exp Vista to 24 :thumbsdown:

The other week I forgot you needed more working solution for 2 rolls. Was too used to Jobo.

IMG_0555.jpg

Leave the sticky tape on the end of the film by accident, end up with half a frame at a random point on the outer edge of the film

Scan-120606-0001.jpg

when i was out shooting with Asha when he came over to the dark side of the channel (for him :D ) i got mixed up with my FP4 and Agfa Vista, so i shoot my 24 exp FP4 to frame number 39 and my 36 exp Vista to 24 :thumbsdown:

I'm saying nowt! :wacky: :D :D

I had a total brain fart once and loaded the backing paper of a roll of 120 onto the spool instead of the film, for some reason I just got confused about which part was in which hand and loaded the wrong one.

The rewind is usually fine, I've had this camera for years, but its getting old and I worry that things might fail unexpectedly. Might see if I can get down to poundland and get a spool and try just this.

Just remembered my earlier entry to this tale of woe, at least I've got a duff film to check the rewinder.

I set my studio lights up plugged my sync lead into my mamiya C330 ( normally use wireless triggers with my digi stuff ) then shot off a film, after developing the film which came out seriously under exposed and un-useable I noticed the flash sync switch on the mamiya lens set had been knocked from X to M...must remember to check next time.....

Underdevelopment whilst experimenting with stand/semi-stand development! Such an amateur mistake after having done it successfully before..

Last edited:
photo-5.jpg

Neeed I say more!? Hahahaha. Oh dear.

Last edited:
Just had a film not wind tightly on to the spool so the top and bottom of the film are visible over the spool, how far up/down the frame do you think I've lost?

/wanders off to YouTube to review loading 120 film...

I think i might have a tiny light leak somewhere here

Photo19-11-2012220010.jpg

Back