10k to spend on a Qashqai

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hiya

I have approx 10k to spend on a Nissan Qashqai

Do I

Spend £4k on a deposit and buy a new one and pay £200 a month for 3 years with a PCP (figures approx) and hope the balance is less than the value of the car (optimistic at best)

Do I

Buy a used one cash, approx 2010 20k on clock

Do I

Lease a brand new one for approx £200 per month plus 3 or 6 months upfront

Prob gonna do 40,000 miles over 3 years, would be the 1.5dci that I favour (or the new 1.6 if funds allowed)

Think I know the answer but just throwing it out there for some other perspectives

Thanks

But do the benefits of a new car over a 3-4 year old one make it worth paying the finance?

Drive a new car out of the showroom and you've probably lost 30 percent and you'll owe more than its worth for the first year. Take out a warranty if you're concerned.

Cash is king. Should save you a lot of money in finance.
Very few dealers are interested in cash. Bank transfer or debit card is closest they'd like to deal with cash. They are more likely to give a better discount with a finance deal as they will get a bonus from finance company. Worth finding out how much it will cost to pay off the finance early and pay it off after a month. If you want to get a good deal and pay all the money up front, wait till the end of the month when it's their last chance to improve their monthly bonus. If you can go in, right at the end of business on the last day of the month.

You could also get in touch with some of the lease companies and see what they are selling, a lease car may be higher millage but they are always well maintained, lease companies have penalties in place of cars aren't serviced on time. Just returned my qashqui 1.5dci ntec, it was a great car that I really miss never had a days issue with it, did 100k in less than 3 years.

You could also get in touch with some of the lease companies and see what they are selling, a lease car may be higher millage but they are always well maintained, lease companies have penalties in place of cars aren't serviced on time. Just returned my qashqui 1.5dci ntec, it was a great car that I really miss never had a days issue with it, did 100k in less than 3 years.

Conversely, though, lease cars are often not treated in accordance with the manufacturers guidelines early on so may not have been run in correctly.

Personally I would rather buy an ex lease car than a private one, the same can be said of private cars too. there are not as many private owned cars with full main dealer service history and maintained without a thought of cost as per lease cars.

Have a look on drivethedeal and see what the best price is. It may work out cheaper to finance it independently. Manufacturer 0% deals are good if you wish to keep it. Also look at motorpoint as they have tons of newish cars. They're a bit meh as a supplier but with a full manufacturer warranty (check source of car, must be right) you can't go that far wrong.

Best method is to add up total cost of ownership figures. Whichever is cheaper. Do that one.

New cars are a depreciation money pit so you need to pay as little as you can. Pcp deal should cover the costs as the payments just cover the depreciation anyway. Of you pick one with a guaranteed minimum future value you are protected from having a large gap between value at the end of the deal. If you don't want to keep it then find a Pcp with low deposit and low payments then ditch the car at the end and get something else.

I'm one of these silly people that buy a new car every three years, and have since 1990, so not an authority on used cars, other than it can be a case of 'buyer beware', depending in where you buy.

However, having had a couple of new Nissan X-Trails, the original 2.2 Litre (150bhp) Diesel Nissan engined one, and then the later 2.0Litre (175bhp) Diesel Renault engine one, I can say after being a life-long Ford man, I have been very impressed with Nissan.

Changed from a Ford Mondeo (2.0 Litre Diesel) to the X-Trail for better towing performance, which proved a very good move.

Coming to the point in answering your question, two years ago, we gave up towing caravans, so didn't need 4x4 capability anymore. However, having got used to the height of the X-Trail for getting in and out, my wife and I didn't fancy going back to a car, which you get down into, so we decided on the Qashqai.

I had a test drive drive of the 1.5L Diesel, and after the 2.0L X-Trail, it felt quite gutless. So, I bought the 2.0L (153bhp) Qashqai, and have been extremely happy with it.

So much so, that when the current one is three years old next September, its almost certain that I will be buying another Qashqai. However, I have yet to test drive the new 1.6L Diesel, which I understand is around 130bhp. That said my local Nissan dealer tells me that later next year a higher performance version of the 1.6L diesel will be an option. I should add that the 2.0L diesel engine is no longer and option for the Qashqai, otherwise it would a no-brainer for the next one.

A final word of warning, when my car was in for its last service, I was loaned a 1.6L petrol Qashqai. After thinking that the 1.5L diesel was gutless, the 1.6L petrol version was even worse!!.

Dave

Last edited:
Cheers for reply, not to fussed about power, it's for my wife to pootle round town in and commute to work

I buy new as I do lots of miles and want peace of mind. I do however keep them for a long time. Replaced my Octavia last year after 8 years and 150,000 miles.

If you aren't doing lots of miles and it's just pooling, is there a benefit to buying new?

Secondhand was my choice and I don't think I have changed yet

I have bought many new cars but normally cheaper cars and at times when I have had more money :/

There's a new qashqai out next year which may impact the values of the current ones

My sister bough one on PCH from lings cars , she's very happy with it

I though lings was lease hire only, I like ling she's a bit mental

Been round and round about this myself recently... Clearly one option is better for some than others.

I was looking at MX5 roadsters, but the same can be applied to any car......

In the end I bought a 6 month old demo with 5k on the clock and saved approx £6k over a new one.

No brainer IMHO.

I though lings was lease hire only, I like ling she's a bit mental

Perhaps that's what it was I know it was 3 months deposit then 200 odd quid a month for 3 years

They must be doing them cheap to make way for the new model

Been round and round about this myself recently... Clearly one option is better for some than others.

I was looking at MX5 roadsters, but the same can be applied to any car......

In the end I bought a 6 month old demo with 5k on the clock and saved approx £6k over a new one.

No brainer IMHO.

We bought our Mx-5 new towards the end of Feb. Got a 5K saving on the new price as the saleman needed to make his yearly quota

I bought a 2010 X Trail in the end, the Qashqai was a touch too small

I went for a very late 150 Aventura Explorerer Extreme, and so far it's really good except for the radio/Bluetooth is a bit wafty

It doesn't really sound like you're doing high mileage, so I'm wondering why you're wanting to opt for the diesel.

If your journey isn't long enough to warm the engine and components, you're not going to really benefit from the fuel consumption. Not to mention the cost of things going wrong with a diesel if it's not getting a good run on a regular basis.

add my 2p
my wife and I have never had a new car (I drive an old Clio) well to cut a long story short she started banging on that she wanted a new car She had a Peugeot 106 that was giving problems and costing lots of money

we never considered a lease car - so made a few inquiries about it and quite liked the idea so we bit the bullet and went the lease route and must say it is a good way of being able to drive around in a new car we paid a sum of money at the beginning and pay £138 a month on a 2 year deal for her car (Nissan Juke) and we are very happy with this deal and will definately be going this route when the lease is up no MOT or Tax disc to pay for
it may not suit some people but I think it is a good way of being able too afford to drive a new car minus all the problems that come with an old one

It doesn't really sound like you're doing high mileage, so I'm wondering why you're wanting to opt for the diesel.

If your journey isn't long enough to warm the engine and components, you're not going to really benefit from the fuel consumption. Not to mention the cost of things going wrong with a diesel if it's not getting a good run on a regular basis.

I have had diesels for around 10
Years now and found them to be more efficient and not noticeably more expensive although I'm sure they are plus her daily commute is a 50 mile round trip along a quick A road

Back