120 dev without darkroom

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

I'm headed home for summer soonish and intend to keep shooting lots of slide. I know how to do it so know much of what I need but I'd like to improve on a few areas.....

1 loading the spiral, black bag I'm guessing? How well does this work and where will I buy one.

2 can you get proper 120 spirals that are easier to load as we have plastic crappy ones in patterson tanks that often either slide back to 35mm or fall apart - could imagine this being worse with a black bag

3 is a jobo a worthwhile investment?

suppliers and ball park prices apreciated

I don't have an actual darkroom so doubt I'll be printing and tbh I really like shooting slide

You might want to try re-setting the spirals.
In my experience spirals rather than falling to bits, can be a bit of a cow to alter between 120 and 35mm.
Maybe you are not locking the spiral in to position correctly, cos every one of mine is really quite stiff...:)

You could always try stainless steel spirals, they're not adjustable but are easier to load than plastic ones, IME. I also much prefer Jobo spirals than Patterson ones, much easier to use.

I prefer the Jobo spirals over the Patterson, you use your finger and thumb on the film edge to load them and as more film goes onto the spiral, there's more to get hold of. I've just dug out my developing kit with the intention of selling it after this thread. I'll list in the for sale section...

I used to have the Jobo CPE-2 rotary processor and this was great for developing colour transparencies because the chemicals were temperature critical...38 degrees from memory. For black and white I tended to develop at room temperature.

Loading with a black bag is fine, it just takes a bit of practice and I found always laying out objects the same way made life easier. Also the Jobo plastic reels are a joy to load, the Patterson can be a 'mare.

hmmm its the jobo thermo controlled rotary thing I was looking at, one went for 16 quid the other day on ebay without any drums dam that woulda been handy

I'm sourcing all my own gear so this is handy to know

I think its cos they've been used a lot John, its the uni darkroom so quite a lot of film gets knocked through

The jobo thermo controlled thing is for colour, you don't need it for b/w..????

shooting colour slide almost exclusively ;)

I'd recommend the Jobo rotary processor then, especially at the price you found. Try and get one with a lift, it makes changing chemicals much easier.

aye but they seem to go generally for 150 ish with bits, no other amazing bargains seem to loom.

if I can get 150 in one go its either gonna be a film scanner or beauty dish :s

I get pretty good results this way so I'm fairly happy with it as a method (I didin't know how much rotary processors went for till I looked today :D)

I bought a CPE-2, the same day shot the dress rehearsal for an am-dram play in the afternnon, went home and souped the trannies, returned and projected the images. I made so much in orders it paid for the CPE-2 that night. I've never had a cost-benefit analysis work out like that since.

ooooh joxby....

I'm up for it but I'm not sure I can get there anytime soon, got a ballpark weight for posting you amazing human being

get where any time soon ??

I thought I might just...like...drop it off at yours.....:cool:

you're Yorkshire way?

well if you're in the area I'll buy you a pint :D

I'm bugging out to bude tomorrow but can pop back at any time :D

Won't have time, be in the middle of a splash and dash..:shake:

Got to be in Newquay before Midnight next Friday, or I'll turn into a pumpkin....or something, 5:30pm kick off from rhubarb land.

If you can be at Exeter services M5 J30 south bound, bout 10:30pm Friday, I can give it to you in person.
If that's too tricky, it'll be an RM job...:LOL:

I didn't have a problem loading 120 onto a Paterson spiral.

This YouTube Link is an excellent guide on loading a 120 film :)

tbh if you have a box it'd be easier to RM it as I really don't want to walk to the services :p

is there a spindle in there or does it need bits?

I used to have trouble loading 120 film onto a patterson spiral in a bag during hot weather, the film seemed to get sticky and the longer it took the sweatier and stickier it got.

tbh if you have a box it'd be easier to RM it as I really don't want to walk to the services :p

is there a spindle in there or does it need bits?

Its complete, its not a jobo, its a patterson auto colour therm...:shrug:

I say even if non of it works its still the perfect tank/and tempering bath for colour developing, with all those chemical containers held in the water.

oh, its not complete, it has a location for a patterson system 4 developing tank, the tank has a magnet on the bottom, but I gave my other system 4 tank (with no magnet) away knowing I could use this one....:bonk:
So if you want the one with the magnet, you'll have to do me a swap..

Yep, with the red ring round the top.
The magnet holds the tank in the water to maintain temperature, stops it floating high.
The other chemical pots are held in the water by the top plate.

maybe you can no-nails a magnet to the bottom of a tank...:D

I just "acquired" a Rondinax 60 :D

you can borrow it if you like?

dribbles

got a loading room sorted for short term (yeah its a cupboard), a medium term room with water that needs blacking out (not sure if will bother with this stage) and a long term studio/darkroom/office planned out :D

OK - if you need it give me a shout then, I can get by with the 35mm kit if needed.

OK, no problem. Likely not a good time to say I paid 50p for it then? No? OK then :D

bite your hand off for it a few days back ;)

its just that after about a dozen rolls of slide in a patterson tank I see the manyfold advantages of temperature/agitation control :p

If you can't abide by it I'm sure I could find a use...................

thinking my BnW collection but if you shoot 120 it could be handy

Also not only do I love tp but I freakin love FnC and all the amazing peeps therein

That'll be the fix...

Actually David, you can do everything you can with the Paterson tanks - but with less chemical...

Back