120 Roll Film

Edit My Images
No
Searching ebay for bits and bobs to accompany my Voigtlander Vito, I came across several listings for a Brilliant (or Brillant).

I am very tempted to get one of these and have a play, but would like to know a bit more about the film it takes - most of the listings say 120 roll film - does this mean I need 6x6 film in bulk rolls, or do they simply mean a roll of 120, same as you would get for 35mm?

Also, is 120 any different to process to 35mm (I have a tank which will take both)?

Thanks in advance

James

Hi James, 120 roll film is just the same as 35mm but bigger and it is processed in the same way as 35mm.
I've been tempted by the Brilliant myself, it appears to be a nice, neat little TLR that produces pretty good images.

Andy

Andy

Thanks for that. Wasn't sure if it was a stupid question or not, but this forum seems to be very friendly so I thought I would ask anyway.

For £20 (ish) I think a Brilliant has got to be worth a go.

It also gives me a reason to need a tripod too :D

Bear in mind that 120 generally gives you less shots per roll, is usually slightly more tricky to load (this is very camera dependent) and processed by less developers.

Most Paterson reels should 'open up' for 120 size - if your Paterson reel can come apart in two pieces, it can be set for 120 film which is wider.

No such thing as a stupid question, in fact I think I asked the same thing when I got my first MF camera.(y)

The quality of results from a medium format film camera should be better than your Canon 400D....if I ever get a very good DSLR I'd use it for general 35mm shots and use a medium format camera for the "good stuff".

The quality of results from a medium format film camera should be better than your Canon 400D....if I ever get a very good DSLR I'd use it for general 35mm shots and use a medium format camera for the "good stuff".

That's wishful thinking for the Voigtlander Brilliant IMHO

the backing paper on 120 film is "universal" - it has frame numbers printed on usually for 6x9, 6x6, and 6x4.5 frames, but the actual film behind it is just a clean strip of film

4492688622_57c7900959_z.jpg

the 8 strip at the bottom being 6x9 frame size, the 12 being 6x6 aad the 16 being 6x4.5.

in the link you showed, the 6x9 is at the top, theres the 6x4.5 at the bottom (upside down) and the 6x6 would be covered by the paper sticky tape holding the roll light-tight :)

The idea is, that the numbers actually show through a small red window in the back of some 120 cameras, and provide a frame advance counter. So, if you've a 6x6 the red window will be in the correct position to show the central numbers, if you've a 6x9 or 6x4.5 it'll show the other numbers by being in a different location on the back.

Some special panoramic cameras 6x12 or 6x18 for example, will use the same location as the 6x6 hole, but tell you to use every other number (1,3,5,7,9,11 - for 6x12) or every third (1,4,7,10 - for 6x18)

Thanks, that makes sense!

When you say the 6x6 text is covered by the tape keeping the roll light tight, does that mean the roll needs to be loaded into the camera in a changing bag?

No, there is just enough backing paper that the film should be well covered whilst you load the camera. Best bet is to look on youtube for loading instructions for your camera.

Edit to add: you need to careful not to let the roll errm unroll until it is tensioned by the springs in the camera.

Yep, it can be a little tricky the first few times but you soon get the hang of it. I would attempt it in a low light to begin with but I generally just keep it in my own shadow now. Simples.

Andy

Back