120 Steel Developing Tanks

As I'm doing 120 film I've video after video about loading film and just seems steel is so much easier than the plastic reels.

I think steel looks better, easier to clean and look after, less chemicals as well

two%20tanks.jpg

Smaller in size

I've used plastic before and never liked them. Sometimes takes ages to load it right and I'm not a fan of the turning movement you have to do in the bags, when you don't have loads of rooms seems silly really

As far as I know, the steel tanks won't absorb chemicals like some plastic tanks do, though Patterson tanks are specially made to resist this absorption. I think the main advantage of steel over plastic could be with colour developing - steel heats up quicker and maintains temperature better, though I could be wrong.

As far as I know, the steel tanks won't absorb chemicals like some plastic tanks do, though Patterson tanks are specially made to resist this absorption. I think the main advantage of steel over plastic could be with colour developing - steel heats up quicker and maintains temperature better, though I could be wrong.

Thats also true

Steel heats up quicker and cools down quicker so its not as temperature stable as plastic.
Stainless steel is not impervious to chemicals, bleach and bleach fixer used in colour development eventually corrodes stainless, most commercial colour labs use plastic.
If you bend a steel reel by dropping it, its very difficult to bend it straight again, plastic either breaks or goes back to its original shape.
Stainless reels are more difficult to load, but faster once you have the knack.
Stainless costs three times more than plastic.
I don't use that turning movement to load plastic reels, I just feed it on by hand.

Good reply, joxby - I didn't think of the cooling down thing - of course it would!

Didn't know developing chemicals corroded steel. I don't have any problems using my plastic reels and tank - reeling on the film takes a bit of getting used to, but once you understand how it works, it's fairly simple - just make sure the reel is completely dry before putting the film on. Dampness in the reel = a world of hurt.

I've used steel and I've used plastic. If plastic cost twice as much, I'd buy plastic. :)

They won't corrode overnight but there's no good reason to use stainless steel unless you just want or prefer to.
I'd use it but I'm not paying three time as much just for the privilege. :)

Right, sod it, I'll just get the plastic ones. I really can't be bothered spending loadsssss of money and after what joxby said it makes more sense to buy plastic. I guess it'll just be one of the Paterson tanks then :LOL: :LOL:

Back