Well you can't refute my logic - I've yet to see any correlation between actuations and failures demonstrated, and IMHO folks ask "How many actuations?" as a knee-jerk thing to do but without any real reasoning, and don't really know what to do with the answer - whats the cut off? Where do you draw the line?

Its well known that electronics generally tend to either be DOA or fail very early if they fail at all and most Nikon service requests are for minor things that hot-pixels or focus adjustment, or sensor defect repair.

I don't think I've ever said actuations should have any impact on price (higher or lower).

Plenty of D1s etc still going strong out there!

But with actuations you're not only looking at electronics - there's a mechanical element that means wear and that's what makes the difference in price - usually!

Well you can't refute my logic - I've yet to see any correlation between actuations and failures demonstrated, and IMHO folks ask "How many actuations?" as a knee-jerk thing to do but without any real reasoning, and don't really know what to do with the answer - whats the cut off? Where do you draw the line?

It's just like the mileage on a car, I've come across cars with under 20k miles on them at 3 years old that are knackered, but I've also seem perfectly healthy cars of the same age make and model with over 200k on them...

It's just like the mileage on a car, I've come across cars with under 20k miles on them at 3 years old that are knackered, but I've also seem perfectly healthy cars of the same age make and model with over 200k on them...

So you appear to be agreeing with me then?

Although I'm not a driver I believe cars need to be serviced every year, and after a certain number of miles. I don't recall such advice for cameras.

I assumed you started this thread with my name in in for a purpose, so do you care to spill the beans as to your motivation?

I do not think you will ever see a DSLR the same age as a 100% mechanical SLR. (Canon F1) Electronics are not made to last. A car with 200K on the clock must have a clapped out engine. All the servicing cannot prevent piston slap caused by worn bores.

Oldfella- so how do account for my clapped out Merc then...it has only done 1,200,000 miles (no, not a typo, 1.2 million miles)- it was serviced today and is running like a sewing machine. New brake discs next time round. I shall still be using it for the next few years....I did talk to the guys today and said I was thinking of swapping it (OK giving it away and buying a different car) for a C class 270 turbo diesel....and they looked at me as if I had swallowed a snake. What do you want to get rid of that car for? was their reply. It is no skin off their nose, they will get the service work whatever I have....but they said, it is going well, there is nothing needing serious work yet, so why change.

i was actually thinking that now would be th etime to avail myself of a spanking good car for next to nothing, because salesmen can't give them away. But they are right, it costs me about £500 a year in non service stuff, thats all. Cheap, reliable motoring that isn't worth anyone nicking.

If you change th eoil regularly then there is no wear taking place once the oil is warmed up...now a car/engine that only does a school run down the road...I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, even with only 20,000 on the clock. ALL the weartakes place while the engine is warming up...short trips knackers an engine far more than plenty of miles does. My last motorcycle had done over 337,000 miles when I sold it - and I got 1800 for that. Miles means very little, it is how it has been used/owned and looked after that matters.

How does this relate to shutter firings and longevity? I don't really know, but my cameras do get serviced every year as a matter of course, as do my lenses (not all of them, the main ones - the others go in from time to time.) As far as those prices go - I bet the two low shutter ones had been to Iraq or something and had no paint left and dings all over.....the shutter cycles alone will not determine the price, overall condition - so one that has done nothing but studio work...it would be fine.

I assumed you started this thread with my name in in for a purpose, so do you care to spill the beans as to your motivation?

No motivation, just when I saw the number of actuations thought about you making comments in other threads to the effect of what I said in the op ;)

Although I'm not a driver I believe cars need to be serviced every year, and after a certain number of miles. I don't recall such advice for cameras.

Leica recommend that you get your camera serviced regularly, though I think they leave the definition of "regularly" up to you.

The same is true for automatic watches and other high-end precision engineering.

Oldfella- so how do account for my clapped out Merc then...it has only done 1,200,000 miles (no, not a typo, 1.2 million miles)- it was serviced today and is running like a sewing machine. New brake discs next time round. I shall still be using it for the next few years....I did talk to the guys today and said I was thinking of swapping it (OK giving it away and buying a different car) for a C class 270 turbo diesel....and they looked at me as if I had swallowed a snake. What do you want to get rid of that car for? was their reply. It is no skin off their nose, they will get the service work whatever I have....but they said, it is going well, there is nothing needing serious work yet, so why change.

i was actually thinking that now would be th etime to avail myself of a spanking good car for next to nothing, because salesmen can't give them away. But they are right, it costs me about £500 a year in non service stuff, thats all. Cheap, reliable motoring that isn't worth anyone nicking.

If you change th eoil regularly then there is no wear taking place once the oil is warmed up...now a car/engine that only does a school run down the road...I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, even with only 20,000 on the clock. ALL the weartakes place while the engine is warming up...short trips knackers an engine far more than plenty of miles does. My last motorcycle had done over 337,000 miles when I sold it - and I got 1800 for that. Miles means very little, it is how it has been used/owned and looked after that matters.

How does this relate to shutter firings and longevity? I don't really know, but my cameras do get serviced every year as a matter of course, as do my lenses (not all of them, the main ones - the others go in from time to time.) As far as those prices go - I bet the two low shutter ones had been to Iraq or something and had no paint left and dings all over.....the shutter cycles alone will not determine the price, overall condition - so one that has done nothing but studio work...it would be fine.

You must have W124 ;)

Also, you must either drive/ride miles and miles for fun or you're incredibly old. I don't think i've been on the planet long enough to do that many miles in all of my cars combined :D

If I had a fiver for everytime a customer, on being told their 4 or 5 year old car needed major repair work, said to me "but its only done 5000 miles" :bonk: :bang:

As for cameras.... I think it is fair to say that people look at shutter actuations simply because its a mechanical element within a box of electronics that is subject to wear. Whether this is fair or not is another matter. Whilst I have seen threads here about failed shutters, I have seen plenty more about electronic issues across every species of fine engineering. Whilst it would be nice to know a bit more about the cameras life, often the only guide to how its been used is the shutter count sadly. If you knew the 30,000 Fr model had done those 30k's with a wildlife tog, in the highlands, on the coast, out in all weathers, while a more expensive 60,000 Fr model had spent its entire like in a studio.... what would you chose? Seriously, this is the kind of information that is rarely forthcoming.... :shrug:

Do you think that I have just come over on the Guiness boat :LOL:

Back