14" MacBook Pro (M1 Pro)

Thanks everyone a lot of helpful information I’m in the process of deciding what to get
At the moment I’ve got an older MacBook Pro with seirra OS that can’t be updated and won’t recognise my R5 files , I used to use the laptop for when I go away to do a bit of editing and to back up , I now use a stand-alone hard drive which copies from card to drive
For main editing I’m still using my old Dell PC which even after updating it is still painfully slow with the large R5 files but at least I can edit them
Anyway I’m planning to get a new laptop to replace both and may as well get an M1 MacBook Pro
Think I’ll go for the 16 inch MI pro MacBook as I did find the screen on my 13 inch a bit small
Interesting about the 16gb memory, I did ask on an American forum and the guys suggested to go for 32gb as it can’t be updated later
Based on my experience using the 14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro with 16GB RAM, before I returned it, I would go for 32GB next time. But that's just based on my usage, I found doing any intensive editing made the system struggle.

Based on my experience using the 14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro with 16GB RAM, before I returned it, I would go for 32GB next time. But that's just based on my usage, I found doing any intensive editing made the system struggle.
Thanks yes I’ll probably find the same as I’m using DXO deep prime for raw conversion and extra memory will probably speed it up

Not had any problems on my M1Pro 14" with 16gb (next model up from base) - LR and iMovie doesnt even warm it up!

Not had any problems on my M1Pro 14" with 16gb (next model up from base) - LR and iMovie doesnt even warm it up!
I've been OK with the 13 with 16gb and 1TB HD. Went for the "older" gen as I prefer the touchbar, it's actually quite useful for me. Plus the $ saving helped.

I've run simultaneously After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Final Cut Pro and have not encountered any issues... yet!

Lightroom didn't really warm it up for me, although if you look at Activity Monitor it was taking all 16GB physical RAM and there was swapping of around 8GB going on, but when I started using the masking tools in Lightroom for more advanced edits, or passing them from Lightroom to Affinity Photo or Topaz DeNoiseAI, that's when I started getting the spinning wheel.
It wasn't enough of an issue that I couldn't have lived with it but I decided to send it back and keep my 16" Intel, but next time I'd definitely stump the extra for 32GB.

I'm feeling rather better about my decision to go with 32GB now :)

It is dealing with everything I've thrown at it like a champ. It's exactly those scenarios such as sending an image from Lightroom out to Topaz DenoiseAI or Photoshop is when it's using much more than 16 GB but because the memory is available it doesn't need to lean on swap.

I have a 10 core 14 inch MBP due to arrive in a couple of weeks - it's principally to replace my 2012 Mac Pro with 32 GB of RAM that was finally obsoleted by LR Classic 11 needing Catalina, despite being pimped-up with SSD drives and a graphics card that have kept it able to run official releases of macOS up to 10.14 remarkably well.

For most of my day-to-day photography, I could probably get by with 16 GB, but I do occasional large panoramas which demand more real memory. I've a 16 inch 2019 i9 MPB from work that has only 16 GB of RAM and even with plenty of free (and pretty fast) disk space, it really suffers with stitching them when the Mac Pro flies through the same tasks, despite being broadly a much a slower machine. The current Mac Pro was already a step down from the 48 GB I had in my previous Mac Pro and I had an eye on unified memory having to support a 4K display, so I felt I had to go with 32GB.

Everyone's use case is different, though.

Lightroom didn't really warm it up for me, although if you look at Activity Monitor it was taking all 16GB physical RAM and there was swapping of around 8GB going on, but when I started using the masking tools in Lightroom for more advanced edits, or passing them from Lightroom to Affinity Photo or Topaz DeNoiseAI, that's when I started getting the spinning wheel.
It wasn't enough of an issue that I couldn't have lived with it but I decided to send it back and keep my 16" Intel, but next time I'd definitely stump the extra for 32GB.
Paul did you install everything fresh ? I've seen reports of M1's running way slower than they should when people have transferred programmes directly from their old Mac's.

I never transfer, always install fresh.
Strange then, i've just done some testing on my M1 Pro 14"

Open programmes

Adobe Photoshop - 3 RAW images open, 50-60MB each, all with 5 layers
Adobe Acrobat
Safari with 3 tabs open
Chrome with 17 tabs open
ON1 Effects 19 with 1 image open

Total RAM usage 12.1 GB

Runs as smooth as butter whilst editing

I've been OK with the 13 with 16gb and 1TB HD. Went for the "older" gen as I prefer the touchbar, it's actually quite useful for me. Plus the $ saving helped.

I've run simultaneously After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Final Cut Pro and have not encountered any issues... yet!
Havonig said that.. struggled a bit today knocking together some 8K in final Cut Pro. Could here the fan too! Restarted and seemed OK after that though...

My base model 14" has been fine with Lightroom/Photoshop/Docker/way too many tabs open across a few browsers.

Just ordered a 14 inch m1 pro 10 core cpu, 16 gpu, 16gb ram and 1tb ssd. I’ve not had any major issues with my 13 inch m1, but the lack of ports is kinda annoying, especially as I use one full time with my external nvme drive, and the other has to be swapped between charging and an sd card reader.

I thought about going to 32gb but I got a great deal on a brand new 16gb model that can be shipped straight away. All the 32gb had like a month wait at least.

Whilst I have maxed out the 16gb ram on the 13 occasionally, I’m hoping the much faster ssd in the 14 will make it noticeably better.

Time will tell!

I ordered mine last week don't even want to say how much I paid for it :hungover:
Got 64GB and 2TB.... I am pretty sure I was sober when I ordered it!
but yes the wait is like 2 months!

my phone, bags, spare cameras, lenses, kidney etc will all be in sales soon

Last edited:
I ordered mine an hour ago and Ive just had the dpd email through saying its coming tomorrow!
Hope they actually deliver it and not just throw it over the gate .

I ordered mine an hour ago and Ive just had the dpd email through saying its coming tomorrow!
Hope they actually deliver it and not just throw it over the gate .
Yes, I was on tender hooks all day waiting on mine coming!!

Ordered mine , I went for the 16inch with 32gb ram and 1tb SSD
It will be replacing my old Dell PC and 2013 MacBook Pro laptop :banana:

How long is your wait time?
3 to 4 weeks unfortunately but will be worth it
It’s really painful editing R5 files on my old Dell PC , I have to go and make a cuppa after I start an edit like the healing brush tool :oops: :$

3 to 4 weeks unfortunately but will be worth it
It’s really painful editing R5 files on my old Dell PC , I have to go and make a cuppa after I start an edit like the healing brush tool :oops: :$
that's sooner than mine :(
booo....

I am now back to using my base M1 MacBook Air. it does get a bit slow sometimes due to lack of RAM but its still usable mostly.

that's sooner than mine :(
booo....

I am now back to using my base M1 MacBook Air. it does get a bit slow sometimes due to lack of RAM but its still usable mostly.
Two months is a long wait :(

Back