14" MacBook Pro (M1 Pro)

Ah Viewsonic. I bought a new £900 Viewsonic last November for my new M1. I knew they wouldn't support the M1 initially but after an email exchange with Viewsonic I was assured they were working on it. I was promised April, June, July, August and then in September I contacted Amazon and requested a return as the monitor was not as advertised and not fit for purpose.

Amazon were great, gave me a full refund and I bought the BenQ.
yeah they promised me too that its in the pipeline.
I bought it from Wex and I don't think they will do returns like amazon do :(

Its a good monitor and while I could buy benq or dell I rather not change if I can help it.
I'll send another email and see what they say.

yeah they promised me too that its in the pipeline.
I bought it from Wex and I don't think they will do returns like amazon do :(

Its a good monitor and while I could buy benq or dell I rather not change if I can help it.
I'll send another email and see what they say.

Good Luck, The viewsonic was a lovely monitor.
In the mean time can you do a software calibration? I know X-Rite support M1 now as does DisplayCal.

Good Luck, The viewsonic was a lovely monitor.
In the mean time can you do a software calibration? I know X-Rite support M1 now as does DisplayCal.
yes software calibration works just fine.
Tbh I cannot really see the difference between the two (if there are any?). I have access to both intel MBP and m1 air, so tried it both ways.
But feels like a waste having the feature and not using it.

yes software calibration works just fine.
Tbh I cannot really see the difference between the two (if there are any?). I have access to both intel MBP and m1 air, so tried it both ways.
But feels like a waste having the feature and not using it.

From what I understand it's meant to be a bit more accurate (although I'm not entirely convinced) and it takes the colour conversion away from the GPU and does it in the monitor supposedly free upesources on the GPU. Whether or not we will actually see any benefit in the real world I have no idea.

Finally made a decision on a replacement for my 2012 21.5inch 8GB RAM iMac after years of deliberating (what Mac version ie mini, MacBook, iMac or even going back to windows). Thanks to this thread I’ve gone with a 14 inch MacBook Pro with M1 Pro 10-Core CPU, 16-Core GPU, 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD for £2079 from Costco online. Nice £320 saving as apple sell the same spec model at £2399. the 16 inch model would be nice but it’s £220 more just for the screen and longer battery life. The added portability is likely a better option for my needs/use.

Spec wise it’s probably better than I was thinking for the processor but only 16GB RAM instead of 32GB. I’d have like to have gone with 32GB RAM knowing I can’t upgrade it in the future (I know from experience with my 2012 iMac how annoying that can be) but don't feel apples £400 option price to upgrade to 32GB RAM is really a fair price. At least this time I’ve gone for a better spec than the base model I had with the 2012 iMac). I pushed to the 1TB SSD so I can have the most recent RAWS on the internal SSD and keep the processed RAWS on the external storage I already have. That will save faffing around with an external SSD on a laptop whilst out and about.

Now I’m just hoping the hype about processor speed is all true and I notice an improvement (which it should over a 2012 base intel 8GB RAM iMac model).

Link in case anyone else is thinking of one:

Last edited:
Finally made a decision on a replacement for my 2012 21.5inch 8GB RAM iMac after years of deliberating (what Mac version ie mini, MacBook, iMac or even going back to windows). Thanks to this thread I’ve gone with a 14 inch MacBook Pro with M1 Pro 10-Core CPU, 16-Core GPU, 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD for £2079 from Costco online. Nice £320 saving as apple sell the same spec model at £2399. the 16 inch model would be nice but it’s £220 more just for the screen and longer battery life. The added portability is likely a better option for my needs/use.

Spec wise it’s probably better than I was thinking for the processor but only 16GB RAM instead of 32GB. I’d have like to have gone with 32GB RAM knowing I can’t upgrade it in the future (I know from experience with my 2012 iMac how annoying that can be) but don't feel apples £400 option price to upgrade to 32GB RAM is really a fair price. At least this time I’ve gone for a better spec than the base model I had with the 2012 iMac). I pushed to the 1TB SSD so I can have the most recent RAWS on the internal SSD and keep the processed RAWS on the external storage I already have. That will save faffing around with an external SSD on a laptop whilst out and about.

Now I’m just hoping the hype about processor speed is all true and I notice an improvement (which it should over a 2012 base intel 8GB RAM iMac model).

Link in case anyone else is thinking of one:
Nice one. My 16inch just arrived Saturday from Costco. Pretty fast turnaround. Great machine.

Just spec'd what I want
  • 14"
  • Apple M1 Max with 10-core CPU, 24-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine
  • 64GB unified memory
  • 1TB SSD storage
£3399 :eek:

May be I should just wait for the mini with M1 max....

Wouldn't bother with the max chip unless running several 4k monitors. The M1 pro is basically the same performance wise in most areas and not that far behind the areas it's not quite as good.

Wouldn't bother with the max chip unless running several 4k monitors. The M1 pro is basically the same performance wise in most areas and not that far behind the areas it's not quite as good.
doesn't support 64GB ram though

doesn't support 64GB ram though
You don't need 64gb of ram either. It's been widely tested that 32 is enough for pretty much anything on the M1 Mac's. It'll still use swap drive even with 64gb bit it won't max out the 64 before it does so.

You don't need 64gb of ram either. It's been widely tested that 32 is enough for pretty much anything on the M1 Mac's. It'll still use swap drive even with 64gb bit it won't max out the 64 before it does so.
While 32GB is enough for now (tbh 16GB works fine too) I'd want to future proof as much as possible especially for RAM which I can't replace on Macs. Same goes for CPU also.

For harddrive I can attach external one with TB4 and have amazing speed so that's not as much a issue.

Nice one. My 16inch just arrived Saturday from Costco. Pretty fast turnaround. Great machine.
If I hadn’t seen your earlier post I wouldn’t have know about the offer at Costco. I was just about to buy the 16 inch version when I saw the same spec 14 inch version was on offer too (offer started that day) so timing was good for me. 16 inch would have been nice but probably a bit too big/heavy to be portable for me. Bet the 16 inch screen is nice though.

just got an email to say it’s shipped so hopeful will be here this week.

If I hadn’t seen your earlier post I wouldn’t have know about the offer at Costco. I was just about to buy the 16 inch version when I saw the same spec 14 inch version was on offer too (offer started that day) so timing was good for me. 16 inch would have been nice but probably a bit too big/heavy to be portable for me. Bet the 16 inch screen is nice though.

just got an email to say it’s shipped so hopeful will be here this week.
Enjoy it mate.

May be I should just wait for the mini with M1 max....
do you think the M1 max will come to the mini? I have my doubts. I can see the M1 pro chip replacing the i5 they are still selling but can’t see a M1 max version appearing considering theyve touted the MacBook M1 Pro and M1 Max versions for ‘professionals’. I doubt many professionals use the mini.

do you think the M1 max will come to the mini? I have my doubts. I can see the M1 pro chip replacing the i5 they are still selling but can’t see a M1 max version appearing considering theyve touted the MacBook M1 Pro and M1 Max versions for ‘professionals’. I doubt many professionals use the mini.
I don't see why not.
If they can fit the pro in there they can obviously fit the max in there too. Don't think that was the case with intel chips.

I can't see apple saying no to people like me willing to pay them more money.

I think they are simply staggering their releases to maximize sales and possibly clear old stock. I always wanted a mini but I am getting twitchy for the 14" MBP after seeing the new M1 chips. I can see many people who just can't wait and will buy it because it's the latest and greatest.

Last edited:
I don't see why not.
If they can fit the pro in there they can obviously fit the max in there too. Don't think that was the case with intel chips.

I can't see apple saying no to people like me willing to pay them more money.

I think they are simply staggering their releases to maximize sales and possibly clear old stock. I always wanted a mini but I am getting twitchy for the 14" MBP after seeing the new M1 chips. I can see many people who just can't wait and will buy it because it's the latest and greatest.
I was thinking more that it cannibalises their range rather than if they physically fit. I have doubts they will release the M1 max chip in any of the lower range products as they need to move people up the range. M1 pro chips may appear in the lower range but if you're a business you want to move people into the higher end stuff like the MacBooks and iMacs which you can sell for more than the mini or airs. They said from the beginning it would be a 2 year to roll out. Looking at the price of the MacBook options they seem to be similar to intel spec versions so the macbook range is likely complete along with the MacBook airs. Just need to see what the bigger imac brings and faster chips in the 24 inch iMacs.

I was waiting to see what faster chips came after the initial M1 chip came out last year as they seemed to be lowerend chip with faster ones to come. My main thought has been to buy a better spec than go for the base spec like I did with the 2012 imac. I’d have liked 32GB RAM but that would mean buying from apple and paying around £700 more than the Costco price as I’d not get the saving. I dont like the idea of paying £400 just to go from 16GB to 32GB either as that’s a high price option.

I’d wait to see what happens with the iMac and mini but I know they will cost much more and COVID has also changed my needs. I don’t have the room for a stand-alone iMac at home now I work from home (for office type work and don't have an office at work anymore). MacBook makes more sense for me as it’s got screen, speakers and mic which are very useful for family zoom calls, and also HDMI port and SD card slot too. I’d need to add too many extra bits to make a mini work. I’d run out of ports very quickly and still need a hub.

I was thinking more that it cannibalises their range rather than if they physically fit. I have doubts they will release the M1 max chip in any of the lower range products as they need to move people up the range. M1 pro chips may appear in the lower range but if you're a business you want to move people into the higher end stuff like the MacBooks and iMacs which you can sell for more than the mini or airs. They said from the beginning it would be a 2 year to roll out. Looking at the price of the MacBook options they seem to be similar to intel spec versions so the macbook range is likely complete along with the MacBook airs. Just need to see what the bigger imac brings and faster chips in the 24 inch iMacs.

I was waiting to see what faster chips came after the initial M1 chip came out last year as they seemed to be lowerend chip with faster ones to come. My main thought has been to buy a better spec than go for the base spec like I did with the 2012 imac. I’d have liked 32GB RAM but that would mean buying from apple and paying around £700 more than the Costco price as I’d not get the saving. I dont like the idea of paying £400 just to go from 16GB to 32GB either as that’s a high price option.

I’d wait to see what happens with the iMac and mini but I know they will cost much more and COVID has also changed my needs. I don’t have the room for a stand-alone iMac at home now I work from home (for office type work and don't have an office at work anymore). MacBook makes more sense for me as it’s got screen, speakers and mic which are very useful for family zoom calls, and also HDMI port and SD card slot too. I’d need to add too many extra bits to make a mini work. I’d run out of ports very quickly and still need a hub.
the way I see it mini is just a MacBook without the screen. So they don't really cannibalise as they are for different audience, though I see where you are coming from.

I had an iMac which I sold just under year ago. I decided that a separate monitor+computer was better for me (same as you working from home more now).
Then I luckily got gifted a M1 Mac air which I used for a while and actually works well. It just lack RAM.
So I got hold of a 2019 16" MBP (long story) to keep me going since the MBA was getting on my nerves,

I have decide to sell the 16" MBP one way or the other in the next couple months or so. I really cannot go back to the MBA for all my editing.
if a there is any chance of a mini showing up with more RAM then I might go for that otherwise I am just going get the 14" MBP.

Apple upgrade prices are horrendous but if I am buying a £3K computer I am hoping to keep it for like 8-10 years!

Last edited:
I don't see why not.
If it fits they will almost inevitably call it the new Mac Pro. What else would the pro be? Maybe double that for high end version.

While 32GB is enough for now (tbh 16GB works fine too) I'd want to future proof as much as possible especially for RAM which I can't replace on Macs. Same goes for CPU also.

For harddrive I can attach external one with TB4 and have amazing speed so that's not as much a issue.
For the price difference now you may as well keep that £1k in the pocket and upgrade a little sooner. What if M2 or M3 is so much better still?

For the price difference now you may as well keep that £1k in the pocket and upgrade a little sooner. What if M2 or M3 is so much better still?
I am sure every new iteration will be better but I can't imagine it being so much better for editing when it's already so good. Realistically how much better can it really get?

And if that's really the case may be I should just keep my intel version till it dies and upgrade 3-4 years later.

I am sure every new iteration will be better but I can't imagine it being so much better for editing when it's already so good. Realistically how much better can it really get?
Well we don't know that for sure but there could be big leaps. For example intel 11th to 12th gen. All we probably know is this M2 will be on 3nm and probably have even more of everything.

And if that's really the case may be I should just keep my intel version till it dies and upgrade 3-4 years later.
That's also a valid choice. You just have to consider your requirements to get the job done Vs resale value, which I suspect doesn't need to be a heavily contested topic.

Well we don't know that for sure but there could be big leaps. For example intel 11th to 12th gen. All we probably know is this M2 will be on 3nm and probably have even more of everything.

That's also a valid choice. You just have to consider your requirements to get the job done Vs resale value, which I suspect doesn't need to be a heavily contested topic.

damn you for making me have second thought about my decision.
hmmm.... I am really not sure what's the most sensible thing to do. The current MBP I have works just fine and only thing I dislike about it is the size i.e. 16".
Resale value is obviously going to drop day by day since its an intel machine.

If it does the job and you were happy with the price you paid for it….

Mine arrived yesterday - just figuring out whether it's possible to calibrate the display with my Datacolor Spyder X - so far I haven't been able to get it to work however it will work for my benq monitor as usual. Any ideas? Looks like I'll be confined to editing on my external display until I have the XDR Display colour calibrated.

Edit - I have found the sRGB 'internet and web' mode which has colours more similarly matching (not perfect) my calibrated benq monitor, however brightness seems way less on the MacBook vs the monitor - and brightness control is locked in this mode on the MacBook. Hmmm - is my calibrated monitor set too bright? I would tend to believe my calibrated monitor is set correctly.

Last edited:
Mine arrived yesterday - just figuring out whether it's possible to calibrate the display with my Datacolor Spyder X - so far I haven't been able to get it to work however it will work for my benq monitor as usual. Any ideas? Looks like I'll be confined to editing on my external display until I have the XDR Display colour calibrated.

Edit - I have found the sRGB 'internet and web' mode which has colours matching my calibrated benq monitor, however brightness seems way less on the MacBook vs the monitor - and brightness control is locked in this mode on the MacBook. Hmmm - is my calibrated monitor set too bright?
Congratulations. Calibration is a Black Art to me. Trying to get my head around it. What I’ve done is had a print profile made. When the profile is used on the screen it’s getting the same info as the printer. Works well enough for me.

Congratulations. Calibration is a Black Art to me. Trying to get my head around it. What I’ve done is had a print profile made. When the profile is used on the screen it’s getting the same info as the printer. Works well enough for me.
I don't have a printer so can't test that out - plus I would imagine not all printers print the same colours - do they need to be calibrated too!! I've never been 100% happy I have a correctly calibrated display and just hope that my Spyder did that for me - but now I'm doubting myself / Spyder / Apple and don't know what's correct!!

I don't have a printer so can't test that out - plus I would imagine not all printers print the same colours - do they need to be calibrated too!! I've never been 100% happy I have a correctly calibrated display and just hope that my Spyder did that for me - but now I'm doubting myself / Spyder / Apple and don't know what's correct!!
Worth a visit

I'm sure I read something about a specific calibration process for the screen on these new MacBook Pros, however, I cannot find where I saved the link.

I essentially have not bothered to try my Spyder on it.

I'm sure I read something about a specific calibration process for the screen on these new MacBook Pros, however, I cannot find where I saved the link.

I essentially have not bothered to try my Spyder on it.
This one ?

No, but that looks useful!

So I thought I would post another update to this thread, after using the 14" M1 Pro macBook I've decided to return it to Apple.

It's a fantastic machine, but they are so good they've effectively killed off the re-sale value of the Intel equivalents.
In 2019 I paid £3k for a top of the range 16" MacBook Pro, 8-core i9, 64GB RAM, 8GB GPU and 1TB SSD. It's an amazing machine and I bought it because I worked away 3 days a week in Milton Keynes and my 9 year old MacBook was showing its age, so I bought the new one so I could spend my evenings in the hotel editing images in Lightroom etc.
But not long after I bought it the pandemic started so I didn't really get much use out of it, now I'm a permanent homeworker I was still using my 27" iMac and the 16" was sat in its protective cover.

I decided to get the M1 version and sell the 16, but I'm sure if anyone has looked at the resale market but they're not selling.
So I had to sit down and think to myself "what am I getting from the 14 M1 that I'm not getting from the Intel 16"' and the answer was not a lot. I'm selling my iMac so I'd bought a 32" LG screen so whichever MacBook I keep will be my daily driver that I can just disconnect 1 USBC cable and take with me.

So I decided the common sense approach would be to keep the 16.

For people who are thinking about the M1, it's an amazing machine, I love the new design but I would caution people about RAM.
After watching countless reviews I thought 16GB would be enough for me, and initially it was, however once I started using Lightroom masking tools or sending pictures to Affinity Photo for editing I was starting to see some slowdown. Checking Activity Monitor it was clear why, Lightroom was using 16GB Ram and there was around 8-9GB swapping taking place.
Now don't get me wrong this wasn't a dramatic slowdown but I was getting the spinning wheel, this was the other factor that helped in my decision, swapping back to my 16" with 64GB and doing similar edits, it flies, no slowdown and less than 40GB Ram was in use so no swapping and no slowdown.

So I will be starting a return with Apple this weekend and taking advantage of the extended Christmas return period.

At least I know in a few years when I will be ready to upgrade that I won't be disappointed with Apple silicone.

Sorry for the long post. :)

Last edited:
I got my 16” MacBook Pro with M1 Pro chip and wouldn’t dream of giving it up after noticing substantial improvements with Capture One vs my Intel 2020 MacBook Pro 13” i5. Everything just is so much snappier and it’s now become my dedicated workhorse. I say goodbye to my my Intel based MacBook on Monday

I got the MacBook Pro 13 M1 recently and very happy. I got the 16GB one with 1TB - so the best you can. Prefer the Touch Bar so didn’t really want to get the 14” and loose that - and costa a lot more! I’m very very impressed. Everything it does is a ton quicker than my “old” MacBook Pro 15 which had 32gb, i9 etc. never heard the fan at all or slowdown. I did get a few issues last week but that was Beca use I was in final cut pro and doing a 4K video that was over 1 hour long ao.. and hosted from an external HD. Incredible machine, even for the first gen one I have!

Actually for editing the Pro seems to be the better CPU to go for. The max doesn't really give many benefits.

The chap in the videos below also seems to recommend 32Gb is sufficient unless you're doing a lot of panorama stitching

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ESZDAeZ9vo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HdRAPFM_0I

Quite possibly it is Lightroom that is the problem, not the RAM.

I’m keeping my Intel 16”, I got it just before lockdown ,so it has a few years yet.

Quite possibly it is Lightroom that is the problem, not the RAM.

I’m keeping my Intel 16”, I got it just before lockdown ,so it has a few years yet.
It may well be the size of my catalogue as well.
But Lightroom was taking all available RAM, it was fine just doing basic processing and exporting etc. it's when I start to do masking, send to Topaz or Affinity Photo, but with 64GB in my 16" it doesn't, seems to top at 40GB when really stressing it.
If I was keeping the M1 I think I'd have been fine with 32GB.

So I thought I would post another update to this thread, after using the 14" M1 Pro macBook I've decided to return it to Apple.

It's a fantastic machine, but they are so good they've effectively killed off the re-sale value of the Intel equivalents.
In 2019 I paid £3k for a top of the range 16" MacBook Pro, 8-core i9, 64GB RAM, 8GB GPU and 1TB SSD. It's an amazing machine and I bought it because I worked away 3 days a week in Milton Keynes and my 9 year old MacBook was showing its age, so I bought the new one so I could spend my evenings in the hotel editing images in Lightroom etc.
But not long after I bought it the pandemic started so I didn't really get much use out of it, now I'm a permanent homeworker I was still using my 27" iMac and the 16" was sat in its protective cover.

I decided to get the M1 version and sell the 16, but I'm sure if anyone has looked at the resale market but they're not selling.
So I had to sit down and think to myself "what am I getting from the 14 M1 that I'm not getting from the Intel 16"' and the answer was not a lot. I'm selling my iMac so I'd bought a 32" LG screen so whichever MacBook I keep will be my daily driver that I can just disconnect 1 USBC cable and take with me.

So I decided the common sense approach would be to keep the 16.

For people who are thinking about the M1, it's an amazing machine, I love the new design but I would caution people about RAM.
After watching countless reviews I thought 16GB would be enough for me, and initially it was, however once I started using Lightroom masking tools or sending pictures to Affinity Photo for editing I was starting to see some slowdown. Checking Activity Monitor it was clear why, Lightroom was using 16GB Ram and there was around 8-9GB swapping taking place.
Now don't get me wrong this wasn't a dramatic slowdown but I was getting the spinning wheel, this was the other factor that helped in my decision, swapping back to my 16" with 64GB and doing similar edits, it flies, no slowdown and less than 40GB Ram was in use so no swapping and no slowdown.

So I will be starting a return with Apple this weekend and taking advantage of the extended Christmas return period.

At least I know in a few years when I will be ready to upgrade that I won't be disappointed with Apple silicone.

Sorry for the long post. :)
I think you’re doing the right thing. If you have a recent intel you’re better staying with that and running it until it can’t work for you any more. The intel second hand prices will go down with the newer apple silicon but if it’s still working why change and lose money on it now?

i went with a 14 inch M1 pro recently but it was to replace a 2012 iMac so a huge difference. Id have liked 32GB RAM but the Costco offer was too good to turn down so went with 16GB. The 14 inch spec is much better than my 2012 iMac so really seeing a difference. So far I’ve not seen any issues but haven’t edited enough photos yet. When I looked at the RAM usuage it did seem to be quite high. pano and HDR merging seemed to be pretty quick. No issues seen using brushes.

If my iMac was newer I probably wouldn’t have upgraded for a few years.

Thanks everyone a lot of helpful information I’m in the process of deciding what to get
At the moment I’ve got an older MacBook Pro with seirra OS that can’t be updated and won’t recognise my R5 files , I used to use the laptop for when I go away to do a bit of editing and to back up , I now use a stand-alone hard drive which copies from card to drive
For main editing I’m still using my old Dell PC which even after updating it is still painfully slow with the large R5 files but at least I can edit them
Anyway I’m planning to get a new laptop to replace both and may as well get an M1 MacBook Pro
Think I’ll go for the 16 inch MI pro MacBook as I did find the screen on my 13 inch a bit small
Interesting about the 16gb memory, I did ask on an American forum and the guys suggested to go for 32gb as it can’t be updated later

Pete, how old is the MacBook Pro ???? as there is a way to upgrade it, just google dosdude1.
Used his patcher on my brothers 2012 MacBook and it works fine.

Pete, how old is the MacBook Pro ???? as there is a way to upgrade it, just google dosdude1.
Used his patcher on my brothers 2012 MacBook and it works fine.
Thanks it is 2013 the issue is that the hard drive is too small 256 gb so can’t install the update
I did look into upgrading to a 1 tb drive but decided in the end that I may as well get a new laptop as the files from my camera,47mP are toolarge for a machine that old anyway
Edit I’ve just had a look at dsosdude will give it a try , thanks again

Last edited:
Back