14 of 36 shots taken.. ARGH

MindofMel

Suspended / Banned
Name
Mel
Edit My Images
Yes
Got my first roll and my first film slr for around 4 days now LOL and have taken 14 shots - which I believe to be STUNNERS haha. (if i had been using my dlsr i probs would have taken 300 in the past 4 days)

Anyway, wtf do you guys do when you have frames left on a roll of film but your dieing to develop the ones you have taken... I don't want to just take another 22 shots for the sake of it - when I've been so great at selecting shots and moments so far.

:bang:

When I know its in the can, it doesn't bother me that I might take 6 months to use the rest of the roll, its in the can and ain't going nowhere.
Do you know for certain its in the can ?, if not, it could be a pile of cack so you aren't missing anything are you...:cool:

Having said that I find shooting 36....positively endless, MF in twelve's is much closer to my pace..

And this is the dilemma of a film photographer, haha.

Try and make a day of shooting in the near future to finish the roll, go outside and have a wander, perhaps. The best thing to do is to try and finish a roll, or nearly finish a roll at least, in a single sitting; don't be too precious about the frames that haven't been filled, maybe have a go at bracketing some shots to see what the latitudes of the film type you have are etc. I think being too careful and cautious is a problem a lot of people who begin to use film have and you actually miss out on a lot of potential goodies if you umm and ahh about whether or not to take a photo! Just take it and see how it comes out.

(this is coming from someone with 4 cameras loaded with half finished rolls...)

edit: I also agree with what Joxby has said though! If you know they're there they aren't going to go anywhere.

Last edited:
If it's B+W why not just cut off the used portion (in the darkroom) and dev that, then use the rest when you want to, you only loose a few frames cutting a new leader.

What he said ^^. Used to do that all the time in my film days.

Well, you could always buy 24 exposure rolls......

It does limit your choice of film rather seriously though and this is a dilemma for me because I'm really enjoying shooting with my half-frame Pen FT. On the other hand, knowing that you've got 72 shots to play with does loosen the trigger finger quite a bit!

It's been a long time since I did my own D & P, but I used to buy bulk film when I was a teenager and reload the cassettes. You could buy reloadable ones, but the ordinary cassettes were usually good for a few loadings if you were careful. Much cheaper, and I didn't feel too guilty about "wasting" film. I don't know if this is still an option?

Got my first roll and my first film slr for around 4 days now LOL and have taken 14 shots - which I believe to be STUNNERS haha. (if i had been using my dlsr i probs would have taken 300 in the past 4 days)

Anyway, wtf do you guys do when you have frames left on a roll of film but your dieing to develop the ones you have taken... I don't want to just take another 22 shots for the sake of it - when I've been so great at selecting shots and moments so far.

:bang:

Happens to all of us......if not on holiday, or wedding, party etc and it can seem a lifetime getting thru even 24 shots. I have a problem in that "if a picture is not worth taking then I wont" , a few years ago I stayed at a hotel (for a wedding) at some crappy Spanish sea front and amazingly I just couldn't see anything worth photographing :LOL:

See what I mean and this was the best bit :LOL:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...y.jpg/800px-Sitting_at_the_dock_of_Biscay.jpg

I've lost count of the number of old films I've looked through that had a christmas tree on either end and pictures of the family paddling in the sea in the middle. I guess it's just part of the patience thing with film - and the reason why I end up with 3-4 cameras on the go at any one time - one with 100iso Black and White in, one with C41, another with E6 and another with something rated at 400iso or above... makes it really hard to date and time any shots with even a moderate degree of accuracy, and is probably why this year I haven't shot anything for the POTY competition on film (yet...)

I tend to favour 24 exposure films for this very reason. Unless I'm at an event or location where I know I'm going to plough through at least a few rolls I'll stick to smaller exposure counts so I finish films more frequently.

But I've had a film in my camera for a month waiting to be finished and I will at some point - but I've just been uninspired of late - I'll find an opportunity soon. To be honest I have film sat in my backup slr with half a roll shot that's been in there 3 months - now that I do need to finish before it starts to get unhappy and I lose some shots.

Actually, if it's the first film through the camera, then it's probably worthwhile doing a few set-up test shots, just to ensure that the different apertures/shutter speed combinations work properly - it's surprising how you get cameras that work fine between 1/60th and 1/250th second but above and below that speed, they go pear-shaped (cough, cough - FED3 - cough :LOL:)

I made myself a little film log on a spreadsheet with the camera/film/date started/date removed/date sent for developing and a rough idea of what I shot. Saves trying to remember what happened 3 months ago.

Andy

I have had film in my mamiya for months, the ones that stay in the longest are normally the best and most exciting when you finally get them developed.

I wish I had this problem. I have a line of rolls of 35mm Tri-x to be devved and no idea when I'll get round to it. Or to getting into the darkroom to do prints.

i cannot get enough time in my life to develop at home

[yeah yeah 6:30 am and on TP before work]

so I buy C41 B&W......develop and scan to CD @£4.50 from PhotoExpress

turnaround 4 days usually............faster than me faffing on in a dark bathroom...:LOL:

i cannot get enough time in my life to develop at home

[yeah yeah 6:30 am and on TP before work]

so I buy C41 B&W......develop and scan to CD @£4.50 from PhotoExpress

turnaround 4 days usually............faster than me faffing on in a dark bathroom...:LOL:

how big are the JPG's they provide? i.e DPI and size dimensions?

If I shoot colour film I get it devved and scanned at a local minilab. The jpegs they give me are 3089x2048 pixels which equates to just bigger than 10"x6" at 300ppi.
That's about equivelant to 5mp I think?
Files are between 2.5 and 3.5 mb.

Thats what I tend to do, most of the time with colour neg film I will also get a low resolution disc of scans which are good for TP etc and I am now sorting through all my slides and negs to get some scanned at a high resolution (4000dpi).

I'm going to be using Scanitall as they did a trial scan of a slide for me and they did an excellent job with it looking almost identical to the projected slide. Plus I was given £20 of vouchers for them for my birthday, which is approximately 80 slides as their 24p each. Strips of 4 negs are 80p and they scan prints for very low prices.

http://www.scanitall.co.uk/

Be wary of places offering cheap prices for scanning slides as one place that I had a trial scan with gave a very poor quality scan with it being excessively contrasty to the extent that most shadow detail was lost.

I actually like this about film - because I tend to forget what I've shot on the roll thats in my camera. Then when I get it back from development I get a bit of a surprise!

If I'm desperate I'll just take out the film and develop the roll. Film is fairly cheap anyway so why not.

I also like developing a film which was started months ago. Really exciting. I have a shot I took at Crufts that I'm sure will be a cracker (if I develop it well) but I have 15 shots left, so at the weekend It's an excuse to drive to the woods and try some of my fave long exposure shots in the darkness.

Cheers
ped

Buy an Agfa Rondinax 35 developing tank. It has a built in film cutter so you can develop only part of a roll.

I'm keeping Asda going as I've put 3 films thru in a week.

Back