18-105mm vs 18-55mm VR

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Is the Nikon 18-105mm VR lens as good, better or worse than the Nikon 18-55mm VR lens?

Cheers

Lens tests can confuse the hell out of you, but in my opinion I can't tell a difference in the IQ in the same ranges, if it's a direct choice then the longer reach wins. Neither is a particular stellar performer when compared to some of the more expensive Nikon stablemates, however.

Cheers,
James

Don't know what camera you are using, but if its a D60, this 18-70 DX is a superb combination.

IMHO I'd get one of those first.

VR on such a wide lens is not the be-all and end all. You *should* be able to hand hold an 18-55 at lowish speeds anyway.

On a telephoto I would not be without it, but on a 'kit' range, I don't see it as a bonus.

Cheers,
James

The 18-105 is bigger and longer, stupid really but i think that makes it look good :)

In all seriousness, it is the range I like the most, perfect for a lot of what i do.

The 18-70mm is a fantastic lens, can be picked up for really good money these days. The 18-105mm VR is also good, optically very similar to the 18-70mm (at least my two copies of ech lens drew me to this conclusion). Both are an improvement over the 18-55. IMHO.

a chap at the local camera club has the nikon d80 with 18-105vr lens and says it is brilliant

raves about the vr function

Back