18-55mm Kit reversed upto 4:1 Magnification

@big soft moose sound advice there but but I would need an 18/24mm lens though that should be possible.

Not sure if you aimed the response at me or not but have a look at my macro test Flickr page and you'll see all my macro gear :D

Like the idea of setting aperture manual on lens when I want higher magnification. Any good old glass to keep eye on and or ones to avoid?

it was more a general comment - but i'll have a look at your set up in a mo

I used a 50mm reversed onto the front of a 300mm before I got my dedicated macro lens, an old 24 or 28 ought to be doable - there won't be many 18mms kicking around cheap as that is pretty wide angle on a full frame film camera.

in terms of make of old lens any of the main manufacturers will be fine (or pracktika who used to be the east german half of zeiss) - my general rule of thumb is not to buy a brand ive not heard of or any of the Russian or Chinese stuff. - not that it really matters apart from build quality

I tried that on my Tamron 17-50, and guess what happened? The aperture blade jammed. Cost me a few hundred (Ringgit) for repair. :(

A Flickr and FB friend of mine uses staple pins to control the aperture. Not sure about the details though. https://www.flickr.com/photos/abikeodyssey/3347421864

Incidentally, I found this while googling for reversed lens aperture control. A reversed lens adapter that allows you to control the aperture, but only for Nikon. I wonder why.

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Reverse-Aperture-Control-Protector/dp/B005ODKHG0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401443045&sr=8-1&keywords=fotodiox reversed lens

Found the item I mentioned someone let me know on another thread. Save you breaking any more lenses.

https://speedgraphic.co.uk/closeup_...tro_reverse_adaptor_for_canon_eos/8499_p.html

Hope I get the ring soon! am well pumped up to get some close ups. Can't believe how good the kit lens has worked out Bryn, top work there fella!

Thanks Carl much appreciated and I was surprised as you... because previous attempt a year or so ago was my avatar and its awful, didn't know about the DOF button trick. Did you see Petes posts about the reverse ring coupler that allows you to control aperture etc?

Will create a mini tube though....

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/close...tro_reverse_adaptor_for_canon_eos/8499_p.html

Thanks Carl much appreciated and I was surprised as you... because previous attempt a year or so ago was my avatar and its awful, didn't know about the DOF button trick. Did you see Petes posts about the reverse ring coupler that allows you to control aperture etc?

Will create a mini tube though....

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/close...tro_reverse_adaptor_for_canon_eos/8499_p.html
didnt see pete's coupler no (but will read up on it now), am happy enough just setting it on the canon before taking the lens off and putting the reverse ring on, I cant see me wanting to change the aperture <that> many times that it would be a pain, most like put it between f8-f13, find that sweet spot for me and probably stick to it when I need to do the close up stuff. Will go read that article tho! cheers bryn

just looked at that link you posted, £245 might be a bit of out of price range lol, so will go for a manual one for the moment :)

Last edited:
didnt see pete's coupler no (but will read up on it now), am happy enough just setting it on the canon before taking the lens off and putting the reverse ring on, I cant see me wanting to change the aperture <that> many times that it would be a pain, most like put it between f8-f13, find that sweet spot for me and probably stick to it when I need to do the close up stuff. Will go read that article tho! cheers bryn

I personally use f11 and have yet to hit an issue other than my fly shot with the eyes in focus but mouth parts not... see changing aperture was not a option by the time I would have done it the fly would have been gone which is the only pain of the reversed Ideal... if only someone made a simply flat cable design so not adding more length to the setup like that coupler.

I personally use f11 and have yet to hit an issue other than my fly shot with the eyes in focus but mouth parts not... see changing aperture was not a option by the time I would have done it the fly would have been gone which is the only pain of the reversed Ideal... if only someone made a simply flat cable design so not adding more length to the setup like that coupler.
What about just changing the focus manually to bring the rest of the body parts into focus and firing a shot, then stacking them to get a in-focus image? I've not tried it myself, but have read a few threads where some stacking has happened to get a complete insect in focus.

Got my delivery date, wedsnesday for the reverse ring. Hopefully it'll be dry and I can try some shots out :) Havent really got much in the way of plants in the garden so looks like a walkabout might be in order.

What about just changing the focus manually to bring the rest of the body parts into focus and firing a shot, then stacking them to get a in-focus image? I've not tried it myself, but have read a few threads where some stacking has happened to get a complete insect in focus.

Got my delivery date, wedsnesday for the reverse ring. Hopefully it'll be dry and I can try some shots out :) Havent really got much in the way of plants in the garden so looks like a walkabout might be in order.

Stacking handheld is extremely hard due to normal human movements a macro slider and tripod is best for that but not on moving subject. Not saying it's impossible as @TimmyG is a bit of a master at it.. but I have not yet successfully done it with even 2 shots. :whistle:

Looking forward to your results.... don't get too stressed if its not working at first.

Last edited:
Stacking handheld is extremely hard due to normal human movements a macro slider and tripod is best for that but not on moving subject. Not saying it's impossible as @TimmyG is a bit of a master at it.. but I have not yet successfully done it with even 2 shots. :whistle:

Looking forward to your results.... don't get too stressed if its not working at first.
No I wont get stressed, expecting rubbish to be honest, hit and miss maybe, I havent got the most steadiest hands. Lighting might be an issue for me though, I've got a cheapo led ring but of course, it fits on the end of a lens, not the connecting end. I'll figure it out and post them up and perhaps I can get some tips then on where to improve, cheers bryn :)

No I wont get stressed, expecting rubbish to be honest, hit and miss maybe, I havent got the most steadiest hands. Lighting might be an issue for me though, I've got a cheapo led ring but of course, it fits on the end of a lens, not the connecting end. I'll figure it out and post them up and perhaps I can get some tips then on where to improve, cheers bryn :)

No problem I will help as much as I can... you have just put a thought in my head. Thanks.

I have a ring flash I can mount it using the method I use for the raynox. Fudged!!!

I have bought myself a 6 led strip to go around rear element (plastic bit) to use as focus light with my speedlight setup shown before.

@big soft moose Just found this on youtube... I'm not confident to do this but looks a better solution than the coupler as adds no extra distance sure you could use a small tube on it too.

Anyone who knows someone careful enough to do this I would pay for the services. :D

Back